Would you reload these? .223 brass damaged by AR deflector

I picked these up at the range last week -- they are once fired LC '13 brass. Clearly, these are from the deflector on an AR. This is after cleaning and resizing. Everything I have seen online suggests not using ones with a crease, but a ding is OK. I don't have enough experience to determine if these are "dented" or "creased". I'd be using these for plinking loads (1200-R and 55gr FMJ) in an AR.

_DCS2606.jpg _DCS2605.jpg

I've reloaded all sorts of dented cases no issues. The creased one I'd get rid of. Really comes down to how hot are you loading them and how cheap you are [laugh]

I was wondering the same thing. Leaving dents like that makes me think the rifle has some issue. I'm not sure if the deflector would leave such dents, seems more of a case of the bolt hitting the brass when snapping back into place? I've seen AKs do this and eventually it lead to stovepipes of the empty brass, but there could have been other factors at play...

I assume if a rifle is doing doing this to the brass, it can't be a good thing, for the rifle and for the brass?

You know, Sig 556 type rifles put a nasty dent in the side, but not as bad as the OP's brass IIRC. But the Sig also messes up the case mouth a little bit. I've never seen what brass looks like fired from a .223 AK.

People over on ARFCOM were suggesting it may be from an HK type rifle.

To be honest, 95% of the .223/5.56 brass at our range comes from AR15s, so I just assumed it was damaged by a wicked overgassed one.

Back
Top Bottom