WTK- Ar-15 Barrel Question 16 or 18 inch

Redbos99

Banned
Going to have a upper built for me and am deciding about barrel length. I have 16 inch and 20 inch AR Uppers, but have been thinking about an 18 inch. Knowing the AR Guru's on this site someone must have some or have some great knowledge! Planning on having BUIS and a low powered 24mm or 30mm scope.

Thanks Much!

Will

I am going to be doing a lot of plinking and want to shoot some steel out to 300-400 yards...... Upper would be on a Bushmaster lower( from a HBAR model from the late 90's) with two stage trigger and anti walk pins ( all from Bushmaster) Please let me know what you think!

Will

If you're scoping it, and planning on using it at respectable distances (3-400 yards per your post), why wouldn't you want the extra velocity of a 20" bbl?

55_grain

If you're scoping it, and planning on using it at respectable distances (3-400 yards per your post), why wouldn't you want the extra velocity of a 20" bbl?

55_grain

Why spend the money on something one doesn't need? Does it matter if the projectile gets there in .5 vs .6 seconds? Buying a barrel for better accuracy is one thing, increased velocity however, I don't understand.

Dave

Why spend the money on something one doesn't need? Does it matter if the projectile gets there in .5 vs .6 seconds? Buying a barrel for better accuracy is one thing, increased velocity however, I don't understand.

Dave

The velocity will keep the round supersonic longer, which means it will stay accurate further, before it drops to sub sonic. Plus it will shoot flatter and have less wind drift

I would go with a 18" rifle gas system, short enough to move well, but long enough to be stable and shoot smooth

Dave

From what I've seen, most available is 16 or 20 inch, and 18 seems to be more expensive.

This is exactly the barrel I just bought from Remsport for an AR I'm putting together.

I'm interested. May I ask how much?

The velocity will keep the round supersonic longer, which means it will stay accurate further, before it drops to sub sonic. Plus it will shoot flatter and have less wind drift

I would go with a 18" rifle gas system, short enough to move well, but long enough to be stable and shoot smooth

Maybe I misunderstood the post or I took the post too literally, but I thought he wanted to increase velocity not accuracy.

This is exactly the barrel I just bought from Remsport for an AR I'm putting together.

Please let me know how well that shoots. I am definately interested in one and wanted to hear some range reports.

Dave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom