You don't have to be crazy... but it helps.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Gas Mask Record Broken at Marine Marathon

Satellite

Former Marine Sgt. Jeremy Soles made history on Sunday when he set a Guinness World Record for running the entire 26.2-mile Marine Corps marathon while wearing a gas mask in an unofficial time of 4 hours, 29 minutes and 2 seconds

Full story here

I've run three miles or so in a FPM on several occasions (many years ago) and it was not pleasant at all. I've probably spent 4 hours at a time (or more) in a mask during NBC training, but I've never combined that amount of time with that amount of exertion. Not sure I could, even in my prime.

HARD CORPS.

And, WHY did he do it...
dedicated his achievement to Marine Cpl. John Michael Peck, who suffered traumatic brain injury in Iraq in 2007 but insisted on returning to combat, only to lose both arms and legs in a roadside bomb attack in Afghanistan in May.

And I was complaining at the gym this morning because it was cold....

Wow! Dedication to the max. It'd be a cold day in hell that I could do that even in my prime of prime days. My hat's off to that lad. And the fine Marine he dedicated his accomplishment to.

That is so incredibly BADASS! Many props to him. Why stuff like this doesn't get national coverage astounds me.

bad ass-ness at it's best!

*not to detract for the story in the OP*

it just takes some getting used to doing "xxxyyyzz" breathing through a mask; whether an M-40, Air-purifying respirators or Self Contained Breathing Aparatus....

bad ass-ness at it's best!

*not to detract for the story in the OP*

it just takes some getting used to doing "xxxyyyzz" breathing through a mask; whether an M-40, Air-purifying respirators or Self Contained Breathing Aparatus....

Having done some firefighting....I'll definitely agree with the SCBA taking some getting used to.

Personally, I don't think I could lay on my couch wearing a mask for 4.5 hours, nevermind run 26 miles. Then again, I really don't like face masks like that.

Sure beats inhaling smoke and dying, though.

I found the first thing that happens when you exert yourself wearing a mask is that the lenses fog up and you go blind.

How did he overcome that?

There's a defogger the paintball and scuba guys use. Not sure if the USMC allows it, though.

I run 1 mile and I breathe HARD, that's how I stay up. I can't imagine trying to run with a mask on, my lungs would explode.

Yea thats pretty hardcore. Yea being a FF wearing a mask while exerting yourself sucks haha. I just re-watched Generation Kill again this week and one of the recon dudes does PT with it on, Awesome!

Yea thats pretty hardcore. Yea being a FF wearing a mask while exerting yourself sucks haha. I just re-watched Generation Kill again this week and one of the recon dudes does PT with it on, Awesome!

We had a 1st Sgt that used to love to make us PT in MOPP gear all the time. In Yuma. Fun stuff.... These days I'd be dead in 5 minutes. [thinking]

(His name was 1st Sgt Nutt. Kind of appropriate.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom