You Veterans will love this one!

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
First a little background.

I work for a company that makes high voltage power systems for materials research. The systems sell for anywhere between 20K to 80K.

Part of the system is a high voltage AC to DC front end supply, and we buy them for 4K to 10K. A new company has been trying to compete for the business. So they they flew in their salesman and his boss today for a meeting with me.

The salesmen was obviously in his late fifties, and his boss was just a kid wearing a tie!

They had a good presentation, and I was interested. Then they decided it was worth taking me out to lunch.

"Let me get my hat" I said.

So I grabbed my Stetson, the one with a miniature CIB on the crown.

The sales guy looked at the CIB and said "Were you in the Army, that pin on your hat looks familiar."

"Yeah" I said, "It's a CIB. Did you serve too?"

(Now, I have to add something here before I tell the rest of the story. I may be 61 years old, but I am still 165 lbs, have a full head of black hair with no grey hair, and a lot of people don't think I am as old as I am. I am not boasting, I think it had to do with my Dad and his Navajo genes.)

So.....this fat f***ing, grey-haired salesman says to me...."Yeah, I was an Airborne Ranger In Vietnam! But I really don't like to talk about it!

"Really?" I asked, "Who did you serve with in Vietnam as an Airborne Ranger?"

As soon as I asked the question he hesitated......

"Ah....I was with the 13th Airborne Rangers....in Vietnam." he said.

So I asked him....."Really, I never heard of them, where in Vietnam were you?"

The look on his face was priceless. I couldn't help myself........(And no VB, I didn't punch him, much as I wanted too!)

I just looked at him and said, "Let's skip lunch, because I don't need any more bullshit today!"

And I looked the f***er in the eyes.......and he knew where the f*** I was coming from!

I wonder how he explained that meeting to his tie wearing boss!

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

".......that pin on your hat looks familiar."

I'd have liked to see the color red his face turned to when he knew he'd been had. Good on ya Skysoldier. Somehow the after effect might have been worse than being caught in his wannabe undies. The kid with the tie probably has some connection with the boss and the salesman is probably punting for a job right now. Nonetheless, I'd like to be a fly on the wall to hear the explanation to the kid.

Excellent work! Maybe next time he'll be more cautious about falsifying his resume!

... And I REALLY like the fact that you threw it in his face!

+3 to you, Soldier!

I don't think the kid with the tie had a clue as to what was going on.....

No doubt.....although I suspect it didn't take the kid too long to figure out that his salesman blew faulty smoke in the wrong direction. I also suspect that the kid caught his salesman stuttering and stammering trying to albeit feebly answer your questions. I'd be willing to bet that the salesman's military bravado had been belched previously and this was his day of reckoning. In any case, job well done and another wannabe/poser caught by the shorthairs.

Had a similar experience while standing in line at Stop & Shop one day. The cashier had some sort of delay and this "Navy Seal" began to say something to the effect that no Navy Seal should have to be subject to waiting in line blah blah blah. He was wearing some cammo top and military cap (to me an instant giveaway). While I have no real knowledge of Navy Seals, I did think to nicely ask him what class he graduated. His answer was that that information was "classified" and that I didn't have a need to know. I told him he'd better come up with a better skit if he thought anyone might believe him. He said he'd be waiting for me outside. Funny thing.....couldn't find him.

My uncle wears a tiny CIB on for a tie clip. Although I served 12 years in the Infantry, I never served in a combat zone, so I never had the honor of pinning one on. Not to say some of the places I have been werent scary places-but the definition of earning one seems to change depending on what war you fight. Hats off to ANYONE serving in a hostile environment-grunt or not.
And, its funny how braggarts are ALWAYS the ones called out-while the rest of the professionals quietly go about their business. Sad, sad state of affairs. Bless all who have gone before you (and myself), and all that will continue with the fight.

As a side story, my brother served with 3/75, I think it was (the bat from GA), during the 90's. He was part of the whole Somalia fiasco (he wasnt part of the initial fight, but was there to help with the rescue efforts after SHTF), and had been to Africa several times. He earned his CIB but never wore it, because he simply didnt think he had earned it. He most recently served during the battle of Fallujah, in 03 (was interviewed by CNN as well), and FINALLY pinned his CIB on, because, in his words "I finally got to shoot back". This isnt something he brags about, nor throws around randomly (except, of course with fellow soldiers, as I am sure we ALL do)-he just goes about his everyday business, does his thing. He, nor would ANY professional soldier or sailor, I would expect, would use something like that as an excuse to not wait in line. Hell, the very fact of BEING in the military means you learn to "hurry up & wait". That idiot's jig was up BEFORE you questioned him.
And, sorry, if you know what a CIB is, you know for a REASON. Not "Gee, I've seen that before, but I dont recall where". Morons.
I recall in the 80's, when I was in junior high, kids in HS saying they had "been to Nam, and it wasnt pretty". I really think there is a culture out there that wants to fight the good fight, but lacks intestinal fortitude.

And, sorry, if you know what a CIB is, you know for a REASON. Not "Gee, I've seen that before, but I dont recall where". Morons.

Exactly my point Oldsoldier29! Anyone who has served in the Army knows exactly the significance of the CIB. It doesn't just look "familiar" to anyone who has worn the uniform.

It's amazing as to how many professors, politicians, and who knows what have been caught masquerading as combat veterans. They must have really small johnsons.

I grew up in a Military family, my Dad and Mom both served during WWII, and all five of us kids served during or in Vietnam.

I did two tours in Vietnam, albeit the first was was very short because I was wounded in Tet of 68.

My older brother served four tours, got a combat commission and retired as a Major. He was also awarded the DSC.

Brother number four did one tour in Vietnam as a REMF, and my little sister served in the Navy as a nurse.

I think my little sister had the hardest time, and had to deal with the worst.

The one other brother served, but never went to Vietnam.......and he turned into a f***ing poser. He still lies to this day, and I hate him!

I have devoted much of my life learning the history of all the Army units that served in Vietnam, just so I can bust out f***ing posers!

I hate Vietnam posers more than I hate hippies. (Just ask Depicts, he is my best friend here in Massachussetts)

The best way to bust out a poser is to pretend you don't know anything in the beginning. You let them start their bullshit, and they just go on and on until they finally make the one lie so you can call "BULLSHIT!" and bust them out!

It's my favorite hobby!

I met a guy here in Mansfield that said he was a Navy Seal last year. The f***er didn't even recognize my Bolo tie that I made with my Purple Heart![rofl][rofl]

I got his business card and sent his name to VeriSeal.com......he got some nasty letters about a week later![rofl]

Busting out posers is more fun than shooting Prairie Dogs in New Mexico![smile]

We were more than busy during Tet '68 Skysoldier. Flew for the 45th Medical Co (Air Ambulance) headquartered in Long Binh but had a platoon stationed at Lai Khe. We pretty much covered all of III Corps and most of IV Corps and during Tet of '68 we had to cover for the 83rd Dustoff in Soc Trang and the 159th in Cu Chi when they lost all their aircraft and most of their pilots. As a company we had 24 UH-1 Hueys and plenty of pilots, so it seemed, until Tet. We lost a bunch during that time too but kept on going. Halfway through Tet we had to get slicks from hash and trash companies since we lost so many of our aircraft. What a scramble that time was. Glad you made it.

I was a late arrival in my father's life. He was a WW1 grunt, got shot in the face (cheek area) by a machine gun. We were a military family as well, my brother serving in the Navy before Vietnam really got going.

I knew what PTSD was before most people. My father was a functioning PTSD-er but all the signs were there. He used to speak (very reluctantly) of the trench warfare and the insane moves forward and retreats on both sides. Don't envy him or any of you who served as grunts. It's got to absolutely be the ugliest of the ugly of combat.

Last edited:
Skysoldier, you have a knack for catching those poser guys that I really admire. I still can't believe my neighbor convinced me for years he was a Marine Vietnam Vet with two tours. He must have read a lot of Clancy books, because he knew every expression, every unit, date and time. We didn't find out he was a poser until he got hurt in a car accident, and when we took him to the VA, they couldn't find ANY record of him having ever served.

Sky how do you feel to hear some idiot in a bar claim to have a DSC when your Brother had one, and earned it? I'd be pissed.

I have devoted much of my life learning the history of all the Army units that served in Vietnam, just so I can bust out f***ing posers!

Good for you! I have not run into many liars, or when I did, they weren't talking, but their BS is an insult to those who served and sacrificed. I am sorry that they have such small indicators of self-esteem, but they certainly shouldn't be displaying them.

No CIB here, or even campaign ribbons of consequence, but after 25 years in the Navy, I can usually spot a bullshitter.

This story just won't end!

My Boss came to me this morning..."Kim. did you meet with the sales guy's from (X) the other day?"

"Yeah, I did, why?"

"Well, I got this call from their regional sales manager this morning. He was apologizing, and said something about you and their salesguy no getting along the other day, and he wanted to resolve the problem and set up another appointment to clear things up. What happened?"

(My boss is a college kid, originally from Lebanon. He has no idea what it means to serve in the Military, much less know about the Military mindset, and how much we hate posers.)

As much as I wanted to scream....I decided to use my loud voice instead. (Hey get's scared when I raise my voice!)

"Yeah......I met with that piece of shit the other day! If you want to deal with this company, then go ahead.......but keep me out of it! The sales guy is a liar....and I can't deal with a salesman that is a f***ing liar!

My boss looked at me and decided to drop the subject.

They will all drop the subject.

But that f***er will never forget me....cause I know I puckered his ass up at work!

I never cease to be amazed at people who never served a day who insist on pretending they did.

If you didn't evade the draft or weasel out five deferments to get out of service in V/N you have nothing to be ashamed of. The military isn't for everyone.

But assuming you didn't do anything like this and then you lie about serving...NOW you've got something to be ashamed of.

5 gets you ten this clown dodged the draft. -What a putz

Two short stories..

1) I returned home from my tour in Iraq and resumed my mall security job. I was talking to one of the mall rats when he had stated that he had a bum leg from being shot in Iraq.

Curious about the authenticity of his claim I inquired where he was stationed overseas. He stated "I don't remember, I block the whole thing out."

I then asked what his MOS was and he had informed me he was infantry. I asked what unit he was with and again, he couldn't remember.

I then inquired where he went to basic training......... he replied, a base in Georgia...... couldn't tell me the name... just some base in Georgia......

I walked away...

2) Again, I was recently home from my tour and was out to Friendly's with my mom. The waiter came to the table and out of no where asked "is your name dave?"

Its not, so I told him. Next he asked if I was in the Army... The high and tight was a dead give away.... So i replied "yes".

So then he goes off on this story that he had been deployed, had been captured and shot by the enemy and they broke his finger torturing him (he showed me the deformed finger, oddly enough didn't show me the bullet holes...)

I was so taken back by this absolutely ridiculous story, I couldn't even contest it... I just replied "that sucks" and he went on his way....

And here I am embarassed to call myself a Veteran of anything so these stolen valor stories make me sick. I planned on a career in the Army but only did 1 year and 11 months. Was finishing high school during Storm so missed that, while in our unit was on alert to help the Rangers in Somolia, sometime after that had a chunk of metal go through an eye while doing some work on a track. If anyone asks I say I served in the Army and got out on a disability, don't believe I earned any title above and beyond that.

I was in the Marines but did nothing noteworthy,my father in law was career Army and saw hard times which he seldom talks about.He is a pastor now but nothing fires him up like a poser.

We all hate posers. It is one thing to have actually earned medals and such, but those that have never served a day in their life and claim to have been there done that, well they should all be called out at the very least,charged under the Stolen Valor Act also.
Hubby and I are both from military families,as we say it is kind of a family business for us.[laugh] Anyways hubby and I served during the Cold War, hubby is the first in his family to not have served during a conflict,passed us, but our son has been to Iraq and back.
I just can not fathom embellishing anything that I hadn't done or earned. Now I do love seeing posers brought to their knees.

sometime after that had a chunk of metal go through an eye while doing some work on a track. If anyone asks I say I served in the Army and got out on a disability, don't believe I earned any title above and beyond that.

Screw what anyone else says, non military especially. if you served and got hurt then you deserve the benefits for your sacrifice. period!

And here I am embarassed to call myself a Veteran of anything so these stolen valor stories make me sick. I planned on a career in the Army but only did 1 year and 11 months. Was finishing high school during Storm so missed that, while in our unit was on alert to help the Rangers in Somolia, sometime after that had a chunk of metal go through an eye while doing some work on a track. If anyone asks I say I served in the Army and got out on a disability, don't believe I earned any title above and beyond that.

You don't have a damn thing to be embarrassed about.

You served and should be proud. Your accident is unfortunate but it is what it is and you're a veteran. Be proud my man! And be proud of living in God's country....my old stomping grounds!!!!

Nothing to be embarrassed about at all. You served honorably - doesn't really matter if it was 1 year or 20.....

<---- I worked on radars and fire control equipment for that. (HAWK surface to air missile defense system.)

I never saw any combat and HAWK was never even fired by the US in combat. (There were sea stories about an ND during Desert Storm but I don't know how true they were.) A big part of me wishes I had stayed in but you gotta play the cards you get dealt.

Last edited:
and HAWK was never even fired by the US in combat.

BS man, I used to shoot my GI Joe Hawk missles at the THE RATTLER all the time.

rattler0914y.jpg

It seems for every legitimate Veteran there are two bullshitters to tell their little fabricated piece of war history....Its a shame, it takes away from what us REAL Veterans sacrificed...and for what?...So their weak little wetting the beds at night, make-believe minds can WOW people they think dont know any better??...Thats the kind of shit that pisses me off to no end. I come from a long line of family members who served in their respective branches...On my fathers side, my grandfather was an 82nd Airborne Paratrooper with a well over a handful of combat jumps in WWII. My father was in the Marines in Vietnam. My older sister was in the Air Force during Desert Storm in Saudi and Kuwait as an MP. My grandfather on my mothers side was from Canada and served in a submarine during Korea for the Royal Canadian Navy. Myself, I served two tours in Iraq/Kuwait during OEF and OIF. I was active duty Army serving with 62nd Eng. Bn out of Fort Hood, TX. We supported 4th ID and 316th EnCom while deployed....Its a slap in the face of the actual Vets to have to listen to these idiots out there try to blow smoke up everyones ass....if it looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit....must be bullshit....Weed them sons of bitches out!

[angry][bs2][jihad]

I've got family that has served in every war from the Revolution thru Vietnam. The last were my brother (Navy), and I (Army) who served at the same time during Vietnam. My two boys never served, nor did his as they were sorta in between 'conflicts' and are now all too old to serve.

A family tradition (and the family name) has ended as all my grandkids are girls and, although it's possible one or more might serve, it's unlikely.

Pick up the book "Stolen Valor " and read about all the low lifes with no respect for all of us who served honorably .The book outs these people with false claims of service and valor.Some hollywood types have tried to claim action and have been proven unture . Brian Dennehy happens to be one of them wih his false claim of vietnam service .

God Bless the true vets, we know in our hearts we serviced with honor

U.S. Navy

I don't understand people who claim to have served but never did, nor those who did serve but feel the need to embellish their records. I did four years in the USN as an electronic warfare tech (surface). My service was honorable and I got out, nothing more to add.

My Dad was (IIRC) 87th Airborne during the late 50s and was deployed to Libya in 58 or thereabouts. He never says he was some sort of super-soldier.

My grandfather was discharged from the cavalry just prior to WW2 but was called back into the service when we went to war with Germany. Oh, and when I say cavalry, I mean the real cavalry with horses:

20rlaqh.jpg

That guy is my hero and I miss him.

I also lost my great uncle a couple of weeks ago. He was an interesting cat. Real quiet and wouldn't say shit if had a mouthful. About ten years ago I was talking to him at a family wedding about my grandfather and he said he was in the war as well. He was an engineer/gunner on bombers and when I asked if he had flown over Germany he said "oh sure, a bunch of times." RIP Uncle Dick.

It's funny how you have to drag stories like that out of real veterans but the wannabes are everywhere ...

Back
Top Bottom