• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Gun and Shooting Goals for 2024?

I think last year mine was to finally test .30 Carbine bullets in .327, which I did accomplish. Easy enough as all I needed were a die and bullets.

Next year my goals would be to buy the two top break revolvers I've been wanting for years. Want to see how much velocity changes when using .32 S&W in a chamber for .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long as my suspicion is the shorter .32 will have higher velocity in its native chamber, but the only revolvers available to test that in are top breaks.

Thankfully those 5 shot top breaks are easy to find. The ones that aren't are the 6 shot top breaks with long barrels. No hope I'll find a suitable one, they always seem to be broken on gunbroker.

Other goal is with primers not being as hard to get I'm going to get the 45-70 adapter for the shotgun and get the components to reload it. Biggest problem there is getting the brass.

I would say get into reloading for .410, but the two guns I want in .410 are either not available or so new that I want to wait another 6 months to see what owners are saying. Reloading .410 can wait until 2025.

What are your goals for next year?

Same here. Started reloading during BS Covid theater and lost momentum. Want to reach out beyond 100 yds
Primer cost and availability slowed down my reloading, but also having to move last year means I can only clean brass for a few hours a day now.

Actually thinking of switching back to the ultrasonic and getting the big one from Harbor Freight that's on sale this week as my Hornady one I got years ago is too small for doing gun parts and too weak for large batches of brass.

Mine is to finally pass the Modern Samurai Project Black Belt Patch Standards and earn a black belt patch from Scott “Jedi” Jedlinski. Here are the standards for anyone who’s curious: Black Belt Standards | Modern Samurai Project

I’ve taken his class twice before, and in the last class I ended up passing 2/4 standards. I really feel like I can get it this next time around.

Side note: he also has recently created a 3/4 patch for anyone who can clear 3 out of the 4 standards, that would be a nice consolation prize if it can’t get the full black belt patch.

I have new guns in the safe that I have never taken to the range.

So, would like to shoot those guns.

I have a couple of guns I want to buy to add to my collection.

And just more range time.

I didn’t fire a single shot in 2023.

I can’t let that be the case for 2024.

I need to shoot more! @Marty McFly and @Mtn_Guy someone needs to tell me to buy ammo when it’s cheap and not when I have money, which only seems to be when ammo gets expensive again.

Buy high! Shoot low!

Edit- I did graduate to adult sights and bought an Eotech this year. Still love my damn Holosuns and Primary Arms though.

Next year my goals would be to buy the two top break revolvers I've been wanting for years. Want to see how much velocity changes when using .32 S&W in a chamber for .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long as my suspicion is the shorter .32 will have higher velocity in its native chamber, but the only revolvers available to test that in are top breaks.

I have an IJ top break in 32sw thats over 100yo i picked up as a cleaning project. Noticed 90% of the patina was really just skuzz that came off easy. Doesnt look a day over 30 now. The 32sw was hard ammo to come by, couldnt find anywhere online; do you reload your own?

Id like to get a few standard cap preban glock mags for not @$$r@p3 prices

Id like to take more first time shooters and people on the fence about guns to the range

Id like to keep working on speed reloads and snap sight with the armson OEG

Id like to fill both tubes of the ksg with short shells and let loose

Maybe ill join a class or few, but for handgun atleast, they want me to use a hard retention holster, which isnt my prefered setup.

Last edited:
I have an IJ top break in 32sw thats over 100yo i picked up as a cleaning project. Noticed 90% of the patina was really just skuzz that came off easy. Doesnt look a day over 30 now. The 32sw was hard ammo to come by, couldnt find anywhere online; do you reload your own?
Of course, why wouldn't I?

I will say of all the calibers I've reloaded, that short .32 S&W is the most tedious because the powder charges are so small I have to trickle every one on a scale with Bullseye powder. If I had more Unique I could possibly get something low enough to work in my powder dispensers, but I've got less than a 1/4 lb of that and save it for .45 Colt.

Been meaning to buy more of that powder, but that has been hard to come by since Covid.

I think last year mine was to finally test .30 Carbine bullets in .327, which I did accomplish. Easy enough as all I needed were a die and bullets.

Thankfully those 5 shot top breaks are easy to find. The ones that aren't are the 6 shot top breaks with long barrels. No hope I'll find a suitable one, they always seem to be broken on gunbroker.

Other goal is with primers not being as hard to get I'm going to get the 45-70 adapter for the shotgun and get the components to reload it. Biggest problem there is getting the brass.

I would say get into reloading for .410, but the two guns I want in .410 are either not available or so new that I want to wait another 6 months to see what owners are saying. Reloading .410 can wait until 2025.

45-70 brass is very easy to find.
Starline and Gun Broker.
There might even be some here in the classifieds.
Don't buy Hornady brass.

-----------------
As far as my goals ...

Start getting ready for Wyoming deer season, followed by Michigan deer season, followed by MA shotgun/muzzle loader season, followed by Florida hog hunting.

It will be a busy year.

All I need is a good muzzle loader and a new scope for the 6.5cm, since right now it is set up with a scope that has a simple reticle because I was hunting in a location with known distances.

I also need to buy 4 game cameras.

Last edited:
Starline and Gun Broker.
Don't buy Hornady brass.

-----------------
As far as my goals ...

Start getting ready for Wyoming deer season, followed by Michigan deer season, followed by MA shotgun/muzzle loader season, followed by Florida hog hunting.

It will be a busy year.

All I need is a good muzzle loader and a new scope for the 6.5cm, since right now it is set up with a scope that has a simple reticle because I was hunting in a location with known distances.

I also need to buy 4 game cameras.
Yup Starline for sure.

My dad and I use a Thompson contender omega 50 cal muzzleloader with a 1-4 Leupold scope. Very accurate with TC XTP sabots.
1704088815304.jpeg
IMG_3586.jpeg

Since my sudden hearing loss in 2020 I hadn't shot much. So a big goal for 2024 is to get back to shooting regularily. I also want to get back into participating in IDPA on a regular basis. Another goal has been to get into rifle shooting. I recently bought my first AR, so need to get proficient with it.

Starline and Gun Broker.

Don't buy Hornady brass.
Starline has it on backorder and I won't put an order in until I have a brick of large rifle primers in my possession.

By the time that happens, the brass will be on another 3 month backorder. I'll order the adapter, that will be on backorder.

It's practically going to take me all year just to get the materials together.

Starline has it on backorder and I won't put an order in until I have a brick of large rifle primers in my possession.

By the time that happens, the brass will be on another 3 month backorder. I'll order the adapter, that will be on backorder.

It's practically going to take me all year just to get the materials together.
There is a bunch on Gun Broker.
If you still want to order direct, back order it now. Why wait a few months only to have to wait a few more months?

Screenshot_20240101_082818_Chrome.jpg

There is a bunch on Gun Broker.
If you still want to order direct, back order it now. Why wait a few months only to have to wait a few more months?

View attachment 833952
That's double the normal price and it's because that selling is gouging. Why should I pay a price gougers price?

I can't use the brass until I have primers, so that's first on my list.

That's double the normal price and it's because that selling is gouging. Why should I pay a price gougers price?

I can't use the brass until I have primers, so that's first on my list.
Because you don't know how to search online.

This one took me less time to find than it did to type this:

Screenshot_20240101_085519_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom