• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Gun and Shooting Goals for 2024?

Because you don't know how to search online.

This one took me less time to find than it did to type this:

View attachment 833959
I look things up by UPC, I don't just type in ".45-70 brass" because then I don't get a list of sellers and their price and availability.

Stop buying guns (New Years resolution, although I do have one on the way 😁 ), sell a few I don't really use, use the ones I keep more. I have way more than I need or use and as I get closer to retirement I am trying to simplify my life as much as possible by getting rid of stuff I don't or will not use.

Oh, and get completely frucked by the new MA gun regulations sometime this year.

My goal is to get rid of shit that I don't shoot and don't care about, buy a shedload of ammo and shoot more drills. I used to just go to the range and blast. Now I'm doing Bill Drills, Mozambiques and hammer pairs instead. Including reloads in the drill keeps me sharper than just shooting a mag, lazily reloading, then shooting the next mag. I need to incorporate more one-handed shooting, off-handed shooting and drawing from the holster. But, drawing can be sometimes frowned upon, depending on location and people. I have a quality carry handgun, a quality full-sized handgun and options when it comes to more robust options. Now to get better with those two pistols and try to maintain some proficiency with my less-used options, like revolvers and shotguns.

I am suffering from macular degeneration in my right - dominant eye and have to switch to my left eye for shooting. My hope and goal is to get back to where I was before switching.
Good luck brother. My mom's going through something similar, though minus the shooting part. My dad and I tried to get her on the range. Sigh.

I think last year mine was to finally test .30 Carbine bullets in .327, which I did accomplish. Easy enough as all I needed were a die and bullets.

Next year my goals would be to buy the two top break revolvers I've been wanting for years. Want to see how much velocity changes when using .32 S&W in a chamber for .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long as my suspicion is the shorter .32 will have higher velocity in its native chamber, but the only revolvers available to test that in are top breaks.

Thankfully those 5 shot top breaks are easy to find. The ones that aren't are the 6 shot top breaks with long barrels. No hope I'll find a suitable one, they always seem to be broken on gunbroker.

Other goal is with primers not being as hard to get I'm going to get the 45-70 adapter for the shotgun and get the components to reload it. Biggest problem there is getting the brass.

I would say get into reloading for .410, but the two guns I want in .410 are either not available or so new that I want to wait another 6 months to see what owners are saying. Reloading .410 can wait until 2025.

What are your goals for next year?
Pass Rifleman certification at an Appleseed event. 40 shots on 10 targets in 4 minutes.

Do Mas Ayoob's MAG 40 qual with a score of 300.

Any recommendations for an 80% kit?
No clue for a reciever. I just thought it would be a cool project as I have done an AK before and I'd like a SBR AK. I'd probably spend the money for a parts kit with pre headspaced barrel and trunnion assembly since I'll need a US made barrel anyway for 922r compliance.

So, we're like everyone else, just make the following goal substitutions:

lose weight > shoot more
daily walks or runs > daily dry fire drills
save more money > reload more
run a 10K > complete in some matches
take a class > take a shooting class
read more > read that stack of gun magazines
get organized > buy a safe organizer
get organized > recycle that stack of gun magazines
drink less > buy another gun
make better choices > sell the .40
improve grooming > buy a 6.5CM
work on marriage > more time at range

I'm going to make Master in IDPA this year in at least one division, potentially up to six. I also got into USPSA in 2023 so I'll continue doing that, although I'm not going to renew my membership due to all the political drama going on. Might try PCSL if there's a local one. I've been dry firing a lot lately so I need to be disciplined and continue doing it. That's it, man, just gotta put in the work.

Sell a bunch of stuff that has just been piling up. I have mags and accessories to guns I no longer own. I want to sell a bunch of guns that will never see the light of day again.

Put that money in to getting my reloading set back up. It's all been in bins for almost 5 years now. Heck, I don't even know where one of my presses is.

Make more time for taking my son to the range. He really enjoys it and I need to prioritize that time with him over the chores and BS that seems to consume my days.

Getting to the range more often. Hopefully once every two or three weeks if possible.
Going to a Ridgeline course in July so I need to drop some pounds to not look a fool and be out of breath.
Cut back on the hours of video games I use as an escape, should be a good start.

I was thinking about a AR-10 , but I'm also thinking that a bolt action in the same caliber would probably be a more sensible option. Seems most AR -10 reviews and videos I've watched show that they don't run well , so I'm guessing pay for the 4200 Sig version ,or buy a bolt action. I don't have any reason for "needing" this rifle ,it's more just a want.

I was thinking about a AR-10 , but I'm also thinking that a bolt action in the same caliber would probably be a more sensible option. Seems most AR -10 reviews and videos I've watched show that they don't run well , so I'm guessing pay for the 4200 Sig version ,or buy a bolt action. I don't have any reason for "needing" this rifle ,it's more just a want.
Build your own with quality parts.
I haven't ran into issues with mine yet.
But I'm sub 300 rounds with it.
Because I don't wanna put steel through it

For me, it's shoot more/train more. I end up training alot of folks but instructors get less trigger time, and it's actually hard to get enough rounds down range. I think I've prepped and sorted every bit of brass that I have since that was the drill throughout the pandemic. I was trying to conserve primers and bullets so switched to simply prepping brass. I mayyyyy be guilty of having a reloading and gun cleaning habit that is supported by shooting....:rolleyes:

I would like my first shot on a multiple shot draw to equal my one shot draw time. For some reason it is always slower. .7s draw turns into a .85-.9 multi shot draw, but the accuracy isn't any better

For guns, I really just want to focus on 4 guns this year, Open 2011, iron 2011, iron 9mm 1911 and .22 for accuracy. I think the rest of the guns need to go. I have no need or interest in shooting them.

Back
Top Bottom