your opinion...worth restoring this old italian carcano?

after my grandfather died several years ago- I ended up with his guns- while cleaning out his gun cab I came across this old carcano receiver- mechanically intact and working. I couldnt find the stock or hardware for it anywhere- but looks like parts are plenty available on ebay. looks like I could restore it for around $250 - $300. He was a Navy Seabee and I know he was stationed in africa and germany. I figure he stripped the rifle down and brough it back in his seabag. he also had a few other treasures I found- an old german bayonet (currently listed on cl) and an old black powder musket- which I sold on cl for a few hundred. I also found a nice 16 gage sxs, but I have no idea where it came from. My father seems to think he brought it back from germany but I'm doubtful- theres a bunch of #'s on it, but none of it makes any sense to me. I'll post a new topic with pics.
Anyway- here's the carcano- everything moves freely, pin moves freely- bolt moves nicely in the carrier. I found a complete stock with hardware (minus clips) on ebay for $185 shipped. your thoughts...?

Attachments

• 20170109_072947.jpg
    20170109_072947.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170109_072900.jpg
    20170109_072900.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20170109_072614.jpg
    20170109_072614.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20170109_073224.jpg
    20170109_073224.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170109_073148.jpg
    20170109_073148.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20170109_072540.jpg
    20170109_072540.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 72
Thats not a lot to get it up and running.
It could be a fun project and they are fun to shoot, BIL had one.
Atlanta cutlery sells the bayonets for them.
How does the bore look ?

There are 2 major Carcano calibers, 6.5 and 7.35. The rifle version was sometimes chambered in 8x57! I've owned 2 of the 6.5's and neither shot worth a damn and ammunition was quite expensive. But then that might be due to the odd bullet diameter, .268"? and domestic ammunition back then was probably loaded with standard .264" bullets. These days you can buy PRVI ammunition at reasonable prices and would imagine appropriate diameter bullets. Most 6.5's have gain twist rifling. The 7.35 takes a .299"? bullet. The design goes back to 1891? and is neither the worst or best design ever. In fact, due to the open receiver design and oddish, to me, magazine arrangement, they remind me of the Mosin Nagant. If I remember correctly, you NEED the en-bloc clips to make the rifle function as a repeater.

if you look you could probably find a complete rifle for about what you need to put into that to get shooting.
If you want it to be something to keep in the family by all means fix it up.
Your grandfather most likely didnt shoot it after he returned because of lack of ammo.
The clips are still out there to be found and there are reproductions also.
PPU makes the ammo still last i seen about 19$/20 rounds

thanks guys- I really have no attachment to it- like you said, I could probably find a completed rifle for the same price- but I'm not really looking to own one. I figured if it was worth $500 or more, I'd spend the time on it.
I'll most likely just trade it for a box of ammo at a gun store- or just give it to some collector for parts.
thanks again for your replies! [wink]

thanks guys- I really have no attachment to it- like you said, I could probably find a completed rifle for the same price- but I'm not really looking to own one. I figured if it was worth $500 or more, I'd spend the time on it.
I'll most likely just trade it for a box of ammo at a gun store- or just give it to some collector for parts.
thanks again for your replies! [wink]

if your looking to unload it I will cover cost for shipping and a box of ammo value shipped to FFL

I have two complete "sporterized" (barrel shortened, but rest of rifle intact) carcanos. If you wanted to restore your grandfather's legacy, I would be happy to beat that ebay price just to see you have something meaningful from your grandfather. Either rifle has what you are missing and I by no means need two "sporterized" carcanos in my safe. I am in MA, so we would need to figure that part out (or others can chime in with advice), but I am sure it is easily doable. PM me if you want to spend the time on it.

YOU CAN GET A CUT DOWN cARCONO STOCK AND A CLIP FOR SHORT MONEY ON EBAY.
FIGURE TO SPEND TWENTY FIVE TO THIRTY BUCKS FOR A BOX OF PRIVI AMMO.
HAVE FUN.

I just finished restoring an old Carcano Carbine. I enjoyed it very much. Some parts are hard to find others are not, and prices can be kinda high as well. The 6.5 x52 .268 ammo is very hard to come by as well. but mine ended up looking very nice and with .268 ammo it shoots good enough to kill a deer at 100 yards. If you enjoy tinkering with old firearms and have the money I would go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two complete "sporterized" (barrel shortened, but rest of rifle intact) carcanos. If you wanted to restore your grandfather's legacy, I would be happy to beat that ebay price just to see you have something meaningful from your grandfather. Either rifle has what you are missing and I by no means need two "sporterized" carcanos in my safe. I am in MA, so we would need to figure that part out (or others can chime in with advice), but I am sure it is easily doable. PM me if you want to spend the time on it.

I really appreciate the gesture! I decided to let it go to another NES member who reached out to me earlier-
As for his legacy... he left me this also ;)
https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/326644-Help-ID-ing-this-old-16ga-SXS

I've never owned a Carcano, but the few I've seen in use didn't impress me much.
I'd simply sell the Carcano parts and put the money into a Swedish Mauser. You can still have the flat-shooting characteristics of a 6.5mm, but with a much more widely available supply of ammo and bullet styles/weights, not to mention a much more polished action.

Back
Top Bottom