1 year, four person meals at Costco

I love the first review:

"Whet this first arrived I wondered how I'd fit all this food in my Apartment but after getting rid of the couch and coffee table in the living room and swap a double bed for a single bed I was able to store all the food.
I was unhappy that the fruit drinks only last 3 years as I live alone and that means this is a 4 year supply of food but if you use the fruit drink mix as sugar then you'll use it up.
My advice though is don't get this if you live in a bachelor apartment and if you live in a 1 bedroom then only buy 1 of these at a time, I usually like to order 2 of everything I buy but I'm glad I only ordered 1."

I love the first review:

"Whet this first arrived I wondered how I'd fit all this food in my Apartment but after getting rid of the couch and coffee table in the living room and swap a double bed for a single bed I was able to store all the food.
I was unhappy that the fruit drinks only last 3 years as I live alone and that means this is a 4 year supply of food but if you use the fruit drink mix as sugar then you'll use it up.
My advice though is don't get this if you live in a bachelor apartment and if you live in a 1 bedroom then only buy 1 of these at a time, I usually like to order 2 of everything I buy but I'm glad I only ordered 1."

WHAT ! can't be real.

I was just reading about Thrive last night!
Shelf Reliance (Thrive Life) has been in business for almost 8 years (first three years making rotation shelves) though they made a drastic change in 2009 when they shifted to a direct selling/MLM business model unlike any other in the preparedness industry.

http://topfoodstoragereviews.com/shelf-reliance-review

this guy says the food is sourced from China, but processed here, so it's "made in USA"

This is a good example of why I don't want a "year's supply" kit and should make your own from stuff you know how to use and are actually willing to use. Let's see...

For starters, it seems rather grain-heavy with wheat being the most abundant of the grains. 42 #10 cans of wheat? Anyone thinking of buying this should buy some wheat berries and practice doing things with them. It wouldn't be totally unreasonable to make quite a bit of bread from this (if they have the means to do so - do they have fuel to heat an oven for 3 hours per loaf?), but they're gonna need a mill they can hand crank. But, if the plan is to soak and/or boil them until they are soft enough to eat, well... I've tried it and its disgusting. And, it hurts your insides.

The rice and other grains aren't too bad. Most people probably don't know what to do with cornmeal and barley though. (Oats, rice and pasta are obvious enough on what to do.)

I don't see much for vegetables; I would add more, and ditch the potatoes; they have almost no nutritional value.

I'm lactose intolerant, so I wouldn't want the dairy. What's chocolate drink mix? If the SHTF, I'd be okay drinking water as-is, in fact its what I do now all day so why would I want chocolate water? No need to dump chocolate-flavored sugar into it.

Beans, good, but not sure if that's enough; I'm not going to try to do the math now. Does anyone like lentils? They may want to consider that before getting a kit that has 14 cans of them. That's not a whole lot of TVP relative to the rest of the kit; just 16 cans? But, not that it matters to me since soy is a major allergen and I have a very bad and immediate reaction to soy in TVP form.

I love the first review:

I noticed she's in Manhattan. I wonder how they delivered a pallet to there (and likely in a high rise building or at the very least a large apartment complex). That must have been fun.

I just read all the reviews; everyone seems pleased, but they also say they haven't tried any of it. [rofl] Yup, just keep this massive pile of stuff around just in case, and hope to figure it out after the SHTF.... great plan. Never mind details like how to cook this with the power out, how to store that much cooking fuel, where to get the water from, how to process the wheat, etc.

One thing that gets me about these massive stockpile packages is that, in order to cook one meal, you have to open up probably 5-6 #10 cans of food. Then you will probably want to finish those cans before you open a bunch more, so you will end up eating a lot of the same thing for long stretches. Or you will end up with 50-100 opened cans after your first week. It seems like it would be really hard to manage, and you would end up with a lot of waste.

One thing that gets me about these massive stockpile packages is that, in order to cook one meal, you have to open up probably 5-6 #10 cans of food. Then you will probably want to finish those cans before you open a bunch more, so you will end up eating a lot of the same thing for long stretches. Or you will end up with 50-100 opened cans after your first week. It seems like it would be really hard to manage, and you would end up with a lot of waste.

Yup. Fortunately, an opened can will still be good for a while, easily 6-12 months or more. But I agree, it is an annoyance. So, I like to keep it simple and not have so many different kinds of cans of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom