• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10.2 lb bass in MA

This is from another site I visit.

http://www.newenglandfishing.net/index.php?showtopic=21324

So you dont have to log in here is his post and a pic.

"I still can not beleave this. Fished the 9" original rainbow at a large well known pond near my house, and came up with an absolutly HAWG bass. 10.2 pounds!!!!!! Friggen monster. I still can not beleave it. She sucked it down right at the boat. Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!
23 3/8 length
18.75 girth

UNREAL!"

untitled.jpg

Last edited:
not a member there, but where was it caught?

*jealous*

Reminds me of what my friend and I would tell people when they'd ask us where we caught something big.
"I caught it where I was fishing" [laugh]

Mikey is right, they are out there. Just a few years ago someone pulled a 9+ pounder out of a small local pond.
Just goes to show... if you want big fish you need to use big baits.

I remember a few nights at Mary's Pond in Rochester if the fishing was really slow I'd troll a big bait.
Many years ago when the AC Plug was first available through Cabelas mail order I bought one but never had much faith in it because it was awkward to cast on typical bass tackle. One night at round 10pm I was slowly cruising back and forth over drop offs and was trolling a black 9" AC Plug on a 6' med. hvy. rod with a baitcast reel spooled with 18 lb. test and picked up a 6+ lb. largemouth.
After that it was my go to bait for big fish. I just had to uprgrade my tackle and develope a techinque for casting it.

I live on a lake, and have caught some serious fish here. I won't even bother saying what my biggest was, no one would believe me. Nor will most of you believe that just after ice out, my buddy and I caught over 30 Bass, and none weighed less than three pounds, and never moved from one spot.

I will say I like using Black single blade spinner baits after dark. The hits are awesome.

A true bass killer that I have had great luck with is a Mann's 9" grape worm w/firetail. Tru turn hook w/barb broken off with pliers and sharpened. Rig it texas style and skip from tree branches etc. and hang on! Baitcaster and at least 10# line are a must. Anyone i9n Westwood area should try Buckmaster Pond off of 109.

Especially with bass, they are smarter then most people think and will often never go after the same lure more then once.

Well, the big 'uns are certainly smarter than me. They thwart my best efforts constantly. If it wasn't for the beer drinking and sunshine, I'd get damn little out of most of my fishing jaunts.

I think I read in one of my many how-to books that a bass has a memory of about 15 minutes, implying that a fish will strike at the same bait after that much time has elapsed. Don't know. But I DO know that that annoying bluegill will hit the same worm repeatedly until it's dead from hook wounds.

Back
Top Bottom