173rd Airborne Bde..Commander crashes and burns!

Total ignoramus self-destruction. Hardly a reflection on the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Hopefully he'll get to split some rocks in Leavenworth.

So now he's off to Leavenworth. And when he gets out, his pension will be gone. The things some guys will do for a woman. [thinking]

I agree, I had the "pleasure" of having LTC Allen West as my BN CDR when he was forced into retirement in Tikrit in 2003. I'm also authorized the 173rd BDE combat patch, but what really gets me about this story is that ALL the other indicators didn't bring up any flags for the military, nothing about the missing money, anything except the wife speaking up. Something like this should not be able to happen.

You, sir, are making the classic mistake of trusting the upper army to know it's ass from it's elbow. I give anything above Company level a 1 in 6 chance of doing anything right.

The disgraced 173rd Airborne Brigade commander who was convicted of fraud and bigamy in June has left the Army after being reduced in rank to lieutenant colonel.

Former Col. James H. Johnson III retired at midnight on Sept. 30, U.S. Army Europe officials said Monday. He left less than a week after an Army board reduced him in rank and a major general finalized his court-martial proceedings. U.S. Army Africa commander Maj. Gen. Patrick J. Donahue II, the convening authority in Johnson’s court-martial, approved the court-martial verdict and sentence on Sept. 25.

Donahue rejected a clemency request to reduce Johnson’s court-imposed fine of $300,000 fine, which Johnson paid in July.

The fine was about double the amount that Johnson had defrauded from the government, according to evidence presented at his court-martial, to woo an Iraqi woman 20 years his junior and steer contracts to her father.

Back
Top Bottom