2014 Hunting Megathread

Going on my first few deer hunts with friends soon. Errol NH area Mid November and Zone 11 in MA in December. Cant wait. This hunting gear sure gets expensive. I stopped putting my credit card back in my wallet. It just sits on the computer.

Going on my first few deer hunts with friends soon. Errol NH area Mid November and Zone 11 in MA in December. Cant wait. This hunting gear sure gets expensive. I stopped putting my credit card back in my wallet. It just sits on the computer.

Ya it does and it doesn't end. I try to buy only 1 expensive thing a year for hunting but that usually doesn't work out.

Ya it does and it doesn't end. I try to buy only 1 expensive thing a year for hunting but that usually doesn't work out.

Especially doesn't end when your dickhead neighbor steals your trail cam with the evidence of him trespassing on it. Wife isnt happy that I have to buy a new one- with a lock box this time. Probably gonna plexiglass the opening too so it doesn't get destroyed.

I'll bet he'll be wondering why my EPO friend is up his ass the rest of the season.

Spend the money for the good gear. Cheap is cheap. Buy good stuff and it will last you for years, work better and save you money in the long run. I am currently outfitting 3 hunters; one who has almost stopped growing. If you are going to be in the field a lot and enjoy it - you need quality gear....When I was a kid I hunted in jeans and rubber boots with plastic bags and it sucked...surprised I kept at it I was so miserable most of the time....Must have been that big 6 pointer I ambushed when I was 15...[smile]

Especially doesn't end when your dickhead neighbor steals your trail cam with the evidence of him trespassing on it. Wife isnt happy that I have to buy a new one- with a lock box this time. Probably gonna plexiglass the opening too so it doesn't get destroyed.

I'll bet he'll be wondering why my EPO friend is up his ass the rest of the season.

Yeah, I could see how that would suck. Just remember even in a lock box, if someone wants it they will take it, some people just plain suck.

Spend the money for the good gear. Cheap is cheap. Buy good stuff and it will last you for years, work better and save you money in the long run. I am currently outfitting 3 hunters; one who has almost stopped growing. If you are going to be in the field a lot and enjoy it - you need quality gear....When I was a kid I hunted in jeans and rubber boots with plastic bags and it sucked...surprised I kept at it I was so miserable most of the time....Must have been that big 6 pointer I ambushed when I was 15...[smile]

I just started 3 years ago and really did not know the good brands. Needless to say I have purchased more stuff since than. I think I am all good with my Minus 33 merino wool shirt, pants etc.

I also just received my Baffin Impact boots yesterday, that should cure the cold feet from here on out.

My thoughts for tomorrow morning.....the boy is excited to hunt with dad adn I only have 1/2 the day. Pheasant fields will be SOAKED so somewhat miserable (we dont' have a dog and will have to push the bush). He enjoyed squirrel last weekend.......woods will be more open and a little dryer......the little buggers have been hiding for 3 days cuz of the nor easter.......thinking they will be out in force tomorrow at first light. Thinking sneak in the woods 1/2 hour before sunup to a good oak stand we know about and wait for em.The boy loves it......and I'm thinking we can hit 3 or 4 of em tomorrow and try squirrel gravy and buscits for Sunday Breakfast!

Stick with it.....good luck

Thanks man. Nothing like farting around on NES to pass the time..

- - - Updated - - -

Some gear helps hunters. Some helps separate them from their money. Admittedly I have both types.

Thanks man. Nothing like farting around on NES to pass the time..

Yeah.....I only forgot to turn my ringer off on the phone once.........sitting at 5:00 am waiting for the sun to come up and RIIIIIIIIING RIIIIIIIING. Scared the shot out of me.

Anyone care to donate some old, unwanted gear to a new hunter? I picked up a new 4 in 1 Jacket, wool pants and shirt. Rubber boots. Picking up new boots for longer hunts but that's about all I have for gear. Any suggestions on what I should look into?

Anyone care to donate some old, unwanted gear to a new hunter? I picked up a new 4 in 1 Jacket, wool pants and shirt. Rubber boots. Picking up new boots for longer hunts but that's about all I have for gear. Any suggestions on what I should look into?

I gouged a big hole in my Lacrosse rubber hunting boots last weekend. I bought them on sale through the breakroom.com 3 years ago and they have been awesome. I just went on the website again last night but there's nothing I'm looking for on sale. I bought these online from cabelas last night...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...826780&WTz_l=SBC;MM;cat104826780;cat104806080

Yeah they aren't cheap but hopefully I can make 'em last another 3 years.

The best thing as far as clothes i've bought so far for cold weather was minus 33 merino wool midweight base layer and Predator fleece jacket and pants.

I actually picked up a pair just like those from Dicks for about $90. Cant wait to try em out. I think they were these.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.13337537.12150076

I gouged a big hole in my Lacrosse rubber hunting boots last weekend. I bought them on sale through the breakroom.com 3 years ago and they have been awesome. I just went on the website again last night but there's nothing I'm looking for on sale. I bought these online from cabelas last night...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...826780&WTz_l=SBC;MM;cat104826780;cat104806080

Yeah they aren't cheap but hopefully I can make 'em last another 3 years.

I actually picked up a pair just like those from Dicks for about $90. Cant wait to try em out. I think they were these.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.13337537.12150076

Cool. One of the reasons I went with that pair of Cabelas boots was because of the lifetime warranty. I get into some pretty nasty spots during deer season and they are going to get fairly beat up. For me, the most important thing about being in the field is having my feet warm and dry. Once they start to get wet or frozen, I'm done. My first year deer hunting, I had pretty much nothing in the way of good quality hunting gear and I wore a pair of these the first day...
boots.jpg
[laugh] So stupid.

I did kill a deer on that first day out, however. I guess I forgot about my frozen piggies after I uploaded 2 rounds of buckshot into that 135lb spike. [wink]

The best thing as far as clothes i've bought so far for cold weather was minus 33 merino wool midweight base layer and Predator fleece jacket and pants.

I like the minus 33 expedition stuff, since I cannot control most of my body temp.

I also picked up my Baffin Impact boots this week. Now I do not think I will have to worry about cold feet anymore.

Below are pictures showing it against my size 13 Rockies, the Baffin’s are size 11.

RATING -100°C/-148°F
BASE Integrated Arctic Flex rubber base
INSOLE Waffle sole and reflective “air bubble” underfoot
OUTSOLE Premium polar rubber
LINER 8-layer inner boot system with Thermaplush
UPPERS Timberwolf leather and Diamond-Lite insulated nylon

Last edited:
Hopefully this has not been posted before.

As hunters we may see some spiders out there and here is a link to help identify some of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your boots have lasers on them!?

I also picked up my Baffin Impact boots this week. Now I do not think I will have to worry about cold feet anymore.

Below are pictures showing it against my size 13 Rockies, the Baffin’s are size 11.

RATING -100°C/-148°F
BASE Integrated Arctic Flex rubber base
INSOLE Waffle sole and reflective “air bubble” underfoot
OUTSOLE Premium polar rubber
LINER 8-layer inner boot system with Thermaplush
UPPERS Timberwolf leather and Diamond-Lite insulated nylon

I've worn them in light rain and snow and they did alright. They prob wouldn't do to well in any real rain storm. I have a set of IDI Gear pants and jacket if it's really wet and cold out.

Put a field first aid kit together with other survival doo dads. Fire starters, powerbars etc.

Be prepared, shit happens.

sat in the stand all day today. Probably a little early for that but since I enjoy being out there..... Didn't see crap. Thought I may have heard something very far away - but that's it. Pulled my memory card form the camera in the area I was at and the area has gone quiet. Nothing in the last 2.5 weeks. Rats... Wind direction tomorrow will be similar to today and this area is the area I have set up for this wind direction too. Not sure what I'm going to do now. I have another area I can hit which at last check still had a lot of traffic - but wind will not be ideal (coming from side instead of in my face).

IDK.... setting the alarm for 4:00 and we'll see what happens... Night fellas...

Welp, got hosed today! 5 of us laid out in the blinds from 5:45 to 10:45 this morning. Had a few honkers check us out but just werent interested. Are usual spot already had people that I think set spreads up the night before... damn locals. But! Thats they way it goes when you play the hunting game. It was just good to get out in the wild on such a beautiful saturday. My dad came out for his first time in a looong time. Had a little family hunt. Myself, dad, uncle, and 2 of my uncles good friends. Had a great time still.

Anyone slam some geese this morning? Or maybe a deer?? Im heading back out in a few hours to do some jump shooting. The woodies are plentiful in my area this year.

Back
Top Bottom