2014 Hunting Megathread

Not a good day for me. I drew on a doe this morning, she was walking behind me in some scrub brush. I drew on her and followed her every step hoping she would step out. I held and held on her till I just couldn't hold anymore. As I was about to let down, she looks right at me!! I freeze, still holding... She puts her head down and walks behind a few trees. Here's my chance to let down and rest my shoulder. As I let down, my shoulder gives out and the motion of letting down pulls my shoulder out with it. My arrow comes unnocked, clanked my riser and falls. Deer runs off leaving me with a possible torn rotator cuff. My bow season my very well be over as fast as it started...

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I did that a few years ago, well 9 now. I took a fall on a steep mountain and dislocated my right shoulder. Got it back in and sat there for 30 mins with a buddy trying to decide whether my pig hunting weekend was toast (it was the first afternoon). After 30 mins I thought it felt pretty good so I tried to draw. Almost got it to break over and wham, shoulder came out. That was the end of it, well except for a couple of days of beer and tequila while the boys hunted. I didn't get surgery but worked on the rehab and strengthening and it took about 4 months before I could draw the bow at a reduced weight, about 55 lbs.

Good, luck, I hope you heal up fast!!!!

Had 5 come through this AM. 2 winded me and bolted, they came in from behind. 2 small bucks walked in front of me 10 minutes later. 1 of them won't be down for breakfast. The other gave me a shot after the first one was down within sight. I even drew and had the pin on him at 25 yards broadside but no way I was burning my last MA buck tag on the little guy. One small one is enough.

Nice snipe guy!!

If I am not mistaken, in Mass once you authorized for crossbow use you cannot than switch back to a normal bow. You are than crossbow for life.

This is true, just found that out for myself this weekend. They print it directly on your hunting lic. now.

Dr. says bow season is over for me. I have a tear in my rotator cuff and bicep. Not sure if I can live with that answer.

Maybe get a second opinion? regardless...I wish you well in your recovery and that you can get back out in the field sooner than later...injuries suck!

Been out 6 times in the central MA area. Saw a doe far away last night at about 530ish..... First sign of deer outside of my deer cam. They seem to be completely nocturnal right now. Heading out to the orchard at 800 and going to bed at 4am at the latest.

Been out 6 times in the central MA area. Saw a doe far away last night at about 530ish..... First sign of deer outside of my deer cam. They seem to be completely nocturnal right now. Heading out to the orchard at 800 and going to bed at 4am at the latest.

The herd I'm tracking seems to be nocturnal too right now.

You would think my location is prime, Horse farm (deer eat the left over horse feed in the pasture), Apple orchard, stream and pond, and corn field. Not to mention the abundance of acorns around. The cayote pack moved somewhere hopefully not because they killed/ spooked the deer away.

Good job everyone who's landed a 'thwak" so far! You guys make me wanna get into archery season.

Hey only 32 days to go until shotgun! [laugh]

boxerjake sorry to hear about your injuries. That blows. Can you still fire a shouldered shotgun comfortably even with the rotator cuff messed up?

boxerjake sorry to hear about your injuries. That blows. Can you still fire a shouldered shotgun comfortably even with the rotator cuff messed up?

I haven't tried yet. I plan to ML after archery. I've been pulling my recurve in hopes to get one draw this season. I've got a few days off next week and the week after. Those are the days I took off to hunt. I like that second week of November.

I haven't tried yet. I plan to ML after archery. I've been pulling my recurve in hopes to get one draw this season. I've got a few days off next week and the week after. Those are the days I took off to hunt. I like that second week of November.
Sounds like a bad idea if you are really planning on doing this:
My recurve is much lighter, 40# @ 28". I figure I don't need to come to full draw with it. Just pull it back maybe half draw and let one fly.

Yes , my first season with the crossbow. I tore my ac joint.

Jesus....if that is a bolt next to him, that bastard is tiny. The extra FPS of the crossbow musta knocked his spot off! You even end up with 10 lbs of meat off him?? Seems like a waste of a tag (and a good buck down the road) to me.

Last edited:
View attachment 118195button buck. Double lung.

You shot a fawn.... Poor play IMHO man... I'm glad you're out there - and I'm trying not to judge... But let the little guys grow up man. Make an appointment to hook up with him next year... Especially this early in the season. That little guy isn't much bigger than a Maine Coon...

Last edited:
You shot a fawn.... Poor play IMHO man... I'm glad you're out there - and I'm trying not to judge... But let the little guys grow up man. Make an appointment to hook up with him next year... Especially this early in the season. That little guy isn't much bigger than a Maine Coon...

Not trying to judge? That's exactly what you did. What business is it of yours if he shoots a young or old deer? A tag is a tag, most people hunt to put meat in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom