2014 Hunting Megathread

Not a good day for me. I drew on a doe this morning, she was walking behind me in some scrub brush. I drew on her and followed her every step hoping she would step out. I held and held on her till I just couldn't hold anymore. As I was about to let down, she looks right at me!! I freeze, still holding... She puts her head down and walks behind a few trees. Here's my chance to let down and rest my shoulder. As I let down, my shoulder gives out and the motion of letting down pulls my shoulder out with it. My arrow comes unnocked, clanked my riser and falls. Deer runs off leaving me with a possible torn rotator cuff. My bow season my very well be over as fast as it started...

Not a good day for me. I drew on a doe this morning, she was walking behind me in some scrub brush. I drew on her and followed her every step hoping she would step out. I held and held on her till I just couldn't hold anymore. As I was about to let down, she looks right at me!! I freeze, still holding... She puts her head down and walks behind a few trees. Here's my chance to let down and rest my shoulder. As I let down, my shoulder gives out and the motion of letting down pulls my shoulder out with it. My arrow comes unnocked, clanked my riser and falls. Deer runs off leaving me with a possible torn rotator cuff. My bow season my very well be over as fast as it started...

Ouch. Dude I'm so sorry for you man... Really... I hope it's a mild sprain and you're back in it soon.

Ice and ibuprofen. I have two out of the four rotator cuff tendons torn, two tears in the labrum (tendonous sack around shoulder socket) and a healing impact fracture. Still pull the bow back so I'm not doing surgery just yet. Hang in there. Drop the draw weight down and resight if you need to but know your limits. Good luck.

Put a field first aid kit together with other survival doo dads. Fire starters, powerbars etc.

Be prepared, shit happens.

This - I call mine my "oh shit bag".... and I had to go to it tonight.....

So some other hunters set up near my area today - about mid afternoon. They didn't know where I was and not wanting to let them know about my sweet spot I decided I was going to wait until I heard them leave before I get down. Also somewhere during the hunt I decided I didn't like being in a hang on stand and wished I had my climber. (more comfort, more height adjustability, direction adjustability, and it feels safer with the upper half having an arm rail). So I was planning on taking the stand out with me. So well after shooting hours ended the other hunters leave - making a ton of noise in the process.. Now I get down and pack up my crap. I'm lugging my bow, 6 climbing sticks, stand, and my bag. So I was heavy. Anyway I start walking out the direction I know to go - but the woods have changed a bit since I was last out there. New dead falls and such from the storms. By the time I think I should be back to a path - I'm still in swamp... So I hit up a GPS mapping app on my phone. It has always been reliable. It tells me I got turned around and need to go back the way I came... Bummer... So that's what I do. I walk and walk and walk some more through thick nasty swamp with all this crap on me. I get to the point where I think to myself - shit I should be on the path. So I check the app again. The app says I need to turn to my right and keep going. So I do.... Walk.... walk....walk... WTF. Check the app again and now it says I need to turn completely around. Wha.. So I place a waypoint on the road - and walk and walk and walk... Look closely at the app and the big arrow on the screen (direction of travel) is pointing in a different direction than the arrow on the compass (also direction to travel). Oh boy - that's not good. I shake the phone to see if it would get it's bearing. The little arrow in the screen starts spinning and won't stop... Damn - this thing has lead me astray. No biggie I though - I hunt near a river and know the direction to the path based on the direction I hear the river. So I stop and listen - and hear nothing. Now I'm really tired, probably a little dehydrated, soaked in sweat, and lost. I'm thinking how embarrassing it would be to have to call the police to come find me - like those other guys I make fun of in the paper when I read about them in similar situations. But then I thought about my situation for a second. All I need is a sense of direction - and remembered my oh-shit bag. In it I have an old faithful tried and true magnetic compass. Out it came - north I went - and after walking a shit ton more I found the path and my ticket out of the woods.

Point being - I had a plan and equipment in case I found myself up a creek. And I planned on some of my plans failing. Like my cell phone. Then not being able to locate the sound of the river. You never know what can happen. Even when you think you know the woods well. You know some people actually go out in the woods without basic tools like a compass... Don't be one of those guys.... When it comes to essential gear 2 is 1 and 1 is none... If I had relied only on my cell for a sense of direction - my name would be the next lost hunter in the paper. Ever have a flash light die on you out in the woods in the black? It sucks. I carry a head lamp and a flash light.. Just be prepared. Make sure the cell is fully charged too.

Your oh-shit bag doesn't have to have a ton of crap. Mine has a spare flashlight and AAA batteries for it, lighter, steel and flint (should lighter fail), whistle, compass, and some paracord. I also carry some basic first aid supplies. I can go without hello kitty band aid if I get an ouchy - but I do have some quick clot and gauze for something more serious. And my eppy pen.

In all the drudging through the swamps I lost an arrow from my quiver. I'm going to get up tomorrow and try to find it. Probably take some flag ribbon and mark a tree or two to keep me oriented next time too.

Last edited:
Dropping weight is an option, but then my arrows would be way too stiff.
I'm gonna rest it the next day or so see how it's feels. I'll try and draw and shoot my recurve and see how that goes first. Much lighter on the draw.

Good heads-up story. Doesn't matter how well you know your area, shit can happen. I always have a headlamp and a spare flashlight. Getting out of the woods with no light sux, even having an easily defined trail.

Good heads-up story. Doesn't matter how well you know your area, shit can happen. I always have a headlamp and a spare flashlight. Getting out of the woods with no light sux, even having an easily defined trail.

Yea - it's easy to lose your sense of direction. I think having to walk around a couple of new dead falls and the swamps being flooded from all the rain and just looking different in the black was just enough to get me off direction. But - that's why I have a compass. Sometimes shit just happens. Next time I'll skip the phone I think. I like it because I have way points that keep me on the easy path... Not tonight though.. Figures too - when I'm carrying extra gear... The situation was never really all that serious though - because I was prepared. that's the message I'm trying to impart.

Last edited:
I'm gonna rest it the next day or so see how it's feels. I'll try and draw and shoot my recurve and see how that goes first. Much lighter on the draw.

Just be careful. I would hate to see an injury that just needs rest become on that needs surgery because you pushed yourself. Maybe have a doc take a look before you push your limp wing. Your health is more important. They're always shotgun season.

Going to try and get up for my first morning hunting tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my but out of bed.

I'll be getting up at 4:30 for work, so good luck trying to fill your tag!
And this goes to anyone else hunting as well.

Brother and I getting out tomorrow am. Decent sign
8e2avy3e.jpg
jazy4a7y.jpg

I gave my recurve away in karma. Shooting it made my shoulder feel as if it was being pulled apart. 70#@28" draw. Not sure what you are pulling but beware.

How strict are you guys with hunting the wind...I have a stand I want to hunt tomorrow afternoon and the best wind for it is N or NNW but tomorrow supposed to be WNW should I risk it?

I figured someone was gonna say that! "you can't shoot them from the couch"...But I wasn't going to be on the couch...Good luck today if anyone else is going out!

I gave my recurve away in karma. Shooting it made my shoulder feel as if it was being pulled apart. 70#@28" draw. Not sure what you are pulling but beware.

My recurve is much lighter, 40# @ 28". I figure I don't need to come to full draw with it. Just pull it back maybe half draw and let one fly. If I can get to full draw by late week without too much pain, I'll draw my compound one time, shoot it. Hopefully I can get past the hump. All I need is one draw...

MRI set for today.

How strict are you guys with hunting the wind...I have a stand I want to hunt tomorrow afternoon and the best wind for it is N or NNW but tomorrow supposed to be WNW should I risk it?

If someone big is bedding near there and that is who you are after I would skip.

If you do not know what is there and do not care about being busted head on out.

Had 5 come through this AM. 2 winded me and bolted, they came in from behind. 2 small bucks walked in front of me 10 minutes later. 1 of them won't be down for breakfast. The other gave me a shot after the first one was down within sight. I even drew and had the pin on him at 25 yards broadside but no way I was burning my last MA buck tag on the little guy. One small one is enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom