2014 Hunting Megathread

Could I get some advice from some of you more experienced hunters?

A coworker has offered to let me use his house as a place to hunt. He says he has deer every day at dusk and 100 acres of conservation behind his house.

I was planning on scouting today...but should I go in ready to shoot in full gear? Or is it just a waste.
I'll be bow hunting.

I'm hoping that rut will have some deer still moving around 10-12 or is that highly unlikely?

When I first started hunting a man who has shot way more deer than I ever will said, "never go in the woods during the season unarmed". The chances of shooting a deer you just jumped with a bow are short but you never know.

I was planning on scouting today...but should I go in ready to shoot in full gear? Or is it just a waste.
I'll be bow hunting.

I'm hoping that rut will have some deer still moving around 10-12 or is that highly unlikely?

When I first started hunting a man who has shot way more deer than I ever will said, "never go in the woods during the season unarmed". The chances of shooting a deer you just jumped with a bow are short but you never know.

Don't let this happen to you! [laugh]
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/266559-15-ft-away-and-no-F***ing-rifle!

Usmc1345, awesome bucks congrats!!

i popped this little guy chasing 2 does and grunting his fool head off this AM a few hundred yards from the Burlington Mall, well OK probably 500 yards ;-). 142 lbs, decent body on him for a small rack. No eye guards either.

image.jpg

congrats bdb!

I have to get my desire back. After 3 failed chances this year at some does and nothing besides that I am sort of deflated. Probably try again on Tuesday.

congrats bdb!

I have to get my desire back. After 3 failed chances this year at some does and nothing besides that I am sort of deflated. Probably try again on Tuesday.

i was was completely deflated going into this AM . I have spent a LOT of time in a stand the last 10 days and my spots have been DEAD. This was my first time in this stand for the year and the camera shows almost no activity so I wasn't feeling any confidence. If I wasn't so down from the last 10 days of nothing this guy would have gotten a pass. No will power at all I tell ya :)

i was was completely deflated going into this AM . I have spent a LOT of time in a stand the last 10 days and my spots have been DEAD. This was my first time in this stand for the year and the camera shows almost no activity so I wasn't feeling any confidence. If I wasn't so down from the last 10 days of nothing this guy would have gotten a pass. No will power at all I tell ya :)

He would have not received a pass from me for any reason. I only have one buck kill and he was not recovered until the birds showed us where he was so I need to learn. Also, I am always on the ground so I have to try and learn to get "drawn" without them running.

View attachment 119842View attachment 119841Mass buck tags are filled! Bow kills are the best!

Damn dude. Those are monsters. Call me impressed and jelious of your ability.

I sat all day. Saw a couple but none came close enough for a shot. Trying not to get deflated myself from my lack of opportunity most likely resulting from my lack of skill.

Last edited:
come on guys you cant talk about being deflated if you're actually seeing deer. Ive been deer hunting now for 3 years and I have yet to even see a deer while hunting. I spend like 3 to 4 weeks of vacation time during the deer seasons too and probably get out about 3 times a week too! I wish I could see a deer, even if it was 200 yards away and I had my bow.
I guess I'm just out of my element here and can only hope I get to to point where im passing on bucks (or does for that matter) someday.

come on guys you cant talk about being deflated if you're actually seeing deer. Ive been deer hunting now for 3 years and I have yet to even see a deer while hunting. I spend like 3 to 4 weeks of vacation time during the deer seasons too and probably get out about 3 times a week too! I wish I could see a deer, even if it was 200 yards away and I had my bow.
I guess I'm just out of my element here and can only hope I get to to point where im passing on bucks (or does for that matter) someday.

I too have not seen any deer yet this year (my trail camera has seen plenty though). You have invested far more time than I have. Some guys really seem to have it down to a science.

Only been deer hunting a couple times, and got skunked. On the other hand, they come out to visit my neighbor while he's weed whacking around all his trees. I think they like the smell of fresh cur grass, or ripe old farmer, or two stroke smoke.

Where are you hunting? Are you scouting prior to the season? Seems like really bad luck not seeing anything or maybe a bad hunt area?

Sent from the blind

Congrats on the buck. It's been a weird year for sure, saw 3 bucks the first day then nothing for 6 weeks till last weekend.

Where are you hunting? Are you scouting prior to the season? Seems like really bad luck not seeing anything or maybe a bad hunt area?

Sent from the blind
this year and last year ive hunted boxford state forest, different spots each time. last year i hunted in a spot with good sign. this year i put a trail cam out in the summer and had a few different deer on it throughout the fall up until the season started. I dont know if its because I pulled my salt lick 10 days before the season, but after that they seemed to disappear. I went from having deer on the cam every day to maybe once a week, sometime none at all.

p.s as for the bad luck, this seems to be my plague if you will. weather im fishing or hunting I get skunked constantly, and I'm doing the same stuff as everyone else but to no avail.

this year and last year ive hunted boxford state forest, different spots each time. last year i hunted in a spot with good sign. this year i put a trail cam out in the summer and had a few different deer on it throughout the fall up until the season started. I dont know if its because I pulled my salt lick 10 days before the season, but after that they seemed to disappear. I went from having deer on the cam every day to maybe once a week, sometime none at all.

p.s as for the bad luck, this seems to be my plague if you will. weather im fishing or hunting I get skunked constantly, and I'm doing the same stuff as everyone else but to no avail.
Hunt over a scrape, a buck will come, stay downwind .

This has been an off year for me as well. Hunted 7 days in Maine usual spots we always see deer. This year my entire family struck out during that week. Across 4 guys only 3 deer were seen 2 does 1 skipper.

Last year we were all tagged out by this point in the season.

Hunt over a scrape, a buck will come, stay downwind .

Well my ladder stand is set up and I'm not moving it now. Would a mock scrape work? I'm kind of reluctant to introduce any more foreign scents into the area because I don't want to spook the does I've been seeing. I've only had one 6 pointer on my trail cam but the does were showing up every other day.

Got this spiked buck Friday. I had actually decided to call it quits for the day and was heading out of the woods. Walked around corner in trail and he was standing there with a tree blocking his view of me 20 yards away. Only ran about 45 yards before dropping. Not a big guy, but plenty tasty and already packed away in the freezer.

mikespike.jpg

^ Nice. That's why I practice walking as quietly as I can through the woods. You never know when one is just going to be farting around out in the open. It doesn't happen so much after the guns of December have started thundering but that's pretty much the same way I got my first deer. Me and two buddies combed through an entire area of marshlands, got all the way to Barnstable harbor, turned around and headed back and not 3 minutes later there's this dumb ass spike just standing in the grass. I fired two rounds of 00 buck which crippled it's ass end, and one of the other guys ended it with a slug to the back of the head.

Mock scrapes do work, shot my buck last year over a fresh mock scrape that i had sprayed some estrous and tarsal into. Shot him as he was checking out the scrape. Set up a scrape with a scrape with a dripper and some estrous and they'll be coming through to check it out. I put half an ounce of estrous, an ounce of doe and an ounce of buck in my dripper last week and had a buck on cam the next day around 7:30 in the morning. If you use it properly and set it up correctly it will work

Back
Top Bottom