2014 Hunting Megathread

My trail cams only show them moving at night right now.. Probably another week maybe 2 before that changes and bucks start chasing does around. At least in the woods I'm in.
Im thinking turkey week will be kicking off prime time for me.

They are chasing now!!

Had 2 does come out 10 mins before last shooting time tonight. Probably only 10 yards and i shot high. Ended up hitting one right near the spine and it ran about 50 yards. Arrow was still stuck in it. Glad i had lighted nocks cause it only left a couple small drops of blood. Shes prob only around 70lbs but will be nice and tender.

Had 2 does come out 10 mins before last shooting time tonight. Probably only 10 yards and i shot high. Ended up hitting one right near the spine and it ran about 50 yards. Arrow was still stuck in it. Glad i had lighted nocks cause it only left a couple small drops of blood. Shes prob only around 70lbs but will be nice and tender.

Great shot , nice deer , congrats!

So with Blood Farm and the other place in Groton not butchering this year where are folks around Groton, Townsend, Ayer etc going to have this done?

Nice!

Not seeing anything at first light at any places I am going. Probably will do 1 or 2 morning sits and than it will only be from 10 till end of light.

IMG-20141111-00679.jpg Arrowed a nice 7 pointer yesterday afternoon he then took off straight into the swamp. My son and I found him this morning. Yeehaa.

Last edited:
Around 9am - hear some commotion, then see a deer (a doe I think) booking it through the woods, maybe 100 yds off. Certainly not going to get a shot at that, but maybe there is a buck chasing it I can call in.... nope looks like a coyote chasing it... except, thats an awfully light coat for a coyote... Ah, a yellow lab chasing deer around, awesome. wtf.

View attachment 119478Arrowed a nice 7 pointer yesterday afternoon he then took off straight into the swamp. My son and I found him this morning. Yeehaa.

Awesome!

Around 9am - hear some commotion, then see a deer (a doe I think) booking it through the woods, maybe 100 yds off. Certainly not going to get a shot at that, but maybe there is a buck chasing it I can call in.... nope looks like a coyote chasing it... except, thats an awfully light coat for a coyote... Ah, a yellow lab chasing deer around, awesome. wtf.

That usually ends up with a dead dog in my neck of the woods.

We are seeing plenty of tracts in and around the swamps, but absolutely no movement all day, as well in RI (just across the border). Well that's not entirely true...there's a red squirrel that driving us batty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive been getting a few does on my trail cam, but they're still outside of shooting time. Either 2-3 am or 7-9 pm. Sat out today from around 5:30 till noon and didnt see a thing. Think I may try 10-sunset next time.

I'm seeing plenty of doe but no doe tag. There are huge tracks in the area so I know there is something good around but I haven't seen it yet.

Why do you care when he started tracking it?

I've always gone and tracked deer I've shoot within an hour, but have seen some people say they left it alone and came back the next day. Just curious how common that is.

Depends on where the shot is. If it was a gut shot i'd probably wait overnight. Usually i go out within an hour after to start tracking with a hit anywhere else. The doe i shot last sunday i heard crash hard in the leaves but still waited just in case.

I've always gone and tracked deer I've shoot within an hour, but have seen some people say they left it alone and came back the next day. Just curious how common that is.

The main hunting forum I read has a lot of folks that if there is even a remote chance it was not direct kill shot they will wait. Some overnight, some a good 6 hours.

Unfortunately most them do find the deer but either wolfs or yotes found it first and there is nothing left but the head. Some search for days and never find the animal.

I absolutely hate leaving a deer overnight but will if it's needed. A gut shot I would leave but thankfully it's been a long time since I had to make that call. Pretty much anything else I will start the trail in about an hour and then make the call early on based on sign. Sometimes a little less if I heard it go down or was confident it was smoked hard but I still leave it for at least 30. The one exception to that is if they are down within sight, I tend to find myself standing over them within 10 mins, cautiously.

In the last 5 years I left one lie over night. Bad blood due to the arrow still in the deer and couldn't find it in the dark. Went in at first light with a buddy and he found it quickly, like before I even finished telling him where I thought it went, quickly. I walked by it about 5 times within 10 yards but couldn't see it in the blow downs and brush in the dark. It was 34 degrees that night. The meat just wasn't the quite the same. Still good and I ate it all but it was a little off compared to other deer. This is why I hate leaving them. I know a lot of people like to back out and come in the next AM, I have no issue with this. I just hate to do it myself. That said every situation requires judgement.

I hunted my property in ME last weekend and saw 5-6 deer over Friday and Saturday, all well within shooting range (gun season up there right now) but they were all does! No antlers to be seen. I'm planning to go up again on Saturday, maybe I'll get lucky and have some pictures to put up. I'm set up on a trail between a scrape and a rub, so I know there are some bucks out there. Next year I'm definitely going to be applying for the antlerless deer permit lottery.

One lone doe this morning, Presented an easy shot but she must have known I already used my doe permit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom