2014 Hunting Megathread

Congrats is that your first to make the biggest bucks of Maine club?
It is.
I generally shoot the first thing to come along, which is usually a spikehorn. They always taste good. I had a doe permit but didn't want to use it because I think the herd is pretty scarce on my end of town.
Just shit luck that this guy was out there at the same time I was going to change cards in my game cam.

After all this weather clears it's going to be a good day for movement tomorrow. Back side of a front, cooler temps, rising barometer...

Going to try for a all day sit if the back holds out.

Trying to be out of the house by 4:30 and it is suppose to be around 19 degrees so time for me to try my new boots.

2014 season lasted about 10 minutes.
Biggest deer I ever shot. My buddy came over to help me get it out.
View attachment 118530View attachment 118532View attachment 118533View attachment 118531

Used my 35 Whelen with some 220 Speer hand loads. Right behind the shoulder, ran about 30 yds pumping blood the whole way. Jellied up his lungs pretty good.

Great deer! Pretty miserable opening day from a weather point of view. Nice reward for going out in that garbage.

Tried an all day sit today. Started at a new location and did not see anything. Before I left I did some exploring to see if there maybe other areas but for the life of me I cannot figure this property out but know deer are there. Than Went over to my friends property which would mostly have does on it. Unfortunately my back just gave way right at sunset. I was squirming in pain for at least an hour plus before I just could not take anymore.

My go out tomorrow afternoon very close to the house, as in drive the chair out of the garage door.

Tried my new boots today since it was in the teens when I got out. I will have to check my feet when I head up to change and see how they feel. Man they were a pain to get on but I think the more I wear them the easy it will be.

Thanks PreBan but I think everyone has stuff they have to deal with in life. I only get one shot in life so I am going to try to do some things that make me happy.

Having withdrawls from not being able to go out after work now. Weekend can't get here soon enough.

Same here.......I hate the time change. I was taking my son out for small game after school in the afternoons........I'd get home from work and he was so excited he'd be in the garage with his vest and hat on already!!!!! He can't wait for saturday morning now!!!!!

Good thing about the time change is you can sneak out for a couple hours before work. Sunrise was at 6:20 today. So shooting hours opened at 5:50. If you don't have to be at work until 9:00 that's a fair amount of hunting! I would have been out this morning were it not for the rain. I don't mind the rain - but I'll pass when I have to work. I can't be looking like I just came out of the rainy woods.

No deer today, but still had a pretty fun morning in the woods.

At about 7am I see some movement through some brush in front of me to the left... way too small for a deer.... its a fox! The only time I've seen foxes before in person (not counting a zoo or something) is while they're darting across the road in front of me while driving, so this was pretty neat.
Its walking along the edge of the swamp, I think I saw it dive/pounce a few times but it didn't look like it caught anything.
After a minute or so of watching it I figure I may as well get my camera out of my bag.

Unfortunately it started to head straight away across the swamp. When it was clear it was heading away for good I did a doe bleat call. That made it stop, look behind, and then head back my way.

I got a couple photos, then it hopped up on a rock, sat down and just chilled out for a while. Got a few more photos, but there was a small tree right in front of it.
I must have been looking at it sitting there for 10 - 15 minutes until I decided I had enough partially obstructed photos of this fox, so at that point I decided to climb down from my stand and see how close I could get. My stand was probably 50-60 yards from it that point.

Managed to get 36 yards from it and got some good pictures. The available trees started to get pretty thin for cover on the last approach. On the last tree, which was probably only 6" in diameter, after I moved forward and peeked out the fox was gone : ( It was looking in my direction the whole time once I got close enough to get photos on the ground, so I'm not entirely sure if was really watching me the whole time and it just finally just decided that was close enough. I was downwind of it too, so I'm guessing that helped me get as close as I did.

It then popped up on the other side of the swamp, camped out on another rock for a few minutes then probably decided it still didn't like me gawking at it and carried on its way.

pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/k6AI3#0

Last edited:

At about 7am I see some movement through some brush in front of me to the left... way too small for a deer.... its a fox! The only time I've seen foxes before in person (not counting a zoo or something) is while they're darting across the road in front of me while driving, so this was pretty neat.
Its walking along the edge of the swamp, I think I saw it dive/pounce a few times but it didn't look like it caught anything.
After a minute or so of watching it I figure I may as well get my camera out of my bag.

Unfortunately it started to head straight away across the swamp. When it was clear it was heading away for good I did a doe bleat call. That made it stop, look behind, and then head back my way.

I got a couple photos, then it hopped up on a rock, sat down and just chilled out for a while. Got a few more photos, but there was a small tree right in front of it.
I must have been looking at it sitting there for 10 - 15 minutes until I decided I had enough partially obstructed photos of this fox, so at that point I decided to climb down from my stand and see how close I could get. My stand was probably 50-60 yards from it that point.

Managed to get 36 yards from it and got some good pictures. The available trees started to get pretty thin for cover on the last approach. On the last tree, which was probably only 6" in diameter, after I moved forward and peeked out the fox was gone : ( It was looking in my direction the whole time once I got close enough to get photos on the ground, so I'm not entirely sure if was really watching me the whole time and it just finally just decided that was close enough. I was downwind of it too, so I'm guessing that helped me get as close as I did.

It then popped up on the other side of the swamp, camped out on another rock for a few minutes then probably decided it still didn't like me gawking at it and carried on its way.

pictures:

Cool pictures!

pictures:

Great picture, That's a wall hanger!!!

Fox came by again today and sat on the same rock for about 15 minutes. According to the time stamps I actually watched it on the first rock for about half an hour yesterday. Got a few more pictures just for the hell of it, but yesterdays were much better. I didn't get down to try to sneak up on it today. Its really hard to get autofocus to pick up through branches, and manual focus on my camera (Canon powershot SX280 HS) is a real pain.

Last edited:
My hunt today was over before it started. As I was walking into the woods I saw a bunch of reflective dots. Thinking they were just trail marking tacks (woods full of them) I marched on. Then those "tacks" ran away crashing through the woods. Ended up bumping 3 deer. And with that.... No more deer within a mile of me for sure..... Spent the day out there but didn't see another deer. Got out of the stand and tried to make something happen as opposed to waiting for something to happen.... But no action to be had.

My trail cams only show them moving at night right now.. Probably another week maybe 2 before that changes and bucks start chasing does around. At least in the woods I'm in.
Im thinking turkey week will be kicking off prime time for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom