• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

After checking my inventory of Mosin chow, my rain day rifle could end up being a match AR. If not too busy evenings this week maybe I'll cook up some more 54R.

Just saw this in my Google feed

Just saw this in my Google feed

you can get a lot of cmp stuff by signing up to things like "The first shot"

Oh wait, looks like there's a cluster of tremors and they are predicting THE BIG ONE at the Plympton Fault Line!
Awesome it will offset the awful hand wobble.

Im finally finished reloading for sunday.
1903a3 gets a wimpy charge with 135gn SMK
M1 gets 135 SMK loaded to aprox 2700 fps- going in blind with these and hope they group 10 ring or better.
Preparing some brass for the next vintage.
i need to pull all the options out and see how well I see the rear sights with the new Rx.
If I can see them well enough it will be K31, K98 or Type 99. i might do 2 vintage entries? If I cant see it will be the Enfield , only vintage option I have with rear aperture style sights.
Next modern mil it will be 2 entries AR and M1a or maybe 308 garand.

View attachment 380367
Found perfect replacement sights

Well, it is an 'as issued' sight. [banana]

Just learned yesterday that my wu flu 20% furlough ends this month, so 3 more Fridays off including today. Decided I'm going to just use my DIY 'ghost ring' SR-1 centers at the local range instead of making the road trip to Granby. Too much hassle for the bum knee to be going back and forth to 200 yards over uneven ground. Also don't want to bother with a pop-up for shade because that F-ing town still hasn't allowed the club to open the pavilion, AFAIK.

I think I'll print a couple of those 25 yard reduced SR's to practice with the 513T again. Will take a few shots at 100 with the M1 and '03 to make sure they are dialed in. Also going to load up some more rounds for the '03 sniper accuracy woes and try out the bolt re-torquing I did and then some CMP 'careful fitting' if that doesn't work. Maybe shoot a Glock 20 for fun too. Should make for a decent range day.

Was a good turn out today. Several new shooters and lots of nice rifles. We had some sights wonder and bolts jump out of actions along with some clip and loading malfunctions. Really makes things interesting.
The rain and fogging glasses did not help much but it was still fun.
Now the trinkets
The M1 clinic/match
Gold- 280
Silver-271
Bronze-269
Springfield Match
Gold -280
Silver-255
Bronze-251

see you next month , M1 garand Clinic and Modern Military AR,M1a,AK, SKS,FAL, 308 Garand or any semi auto issued rifle.

For those that are new these are the pins “trinkets” you get for shooting a good score.
D00972B0-51BB-433D-A2EA-D160126963DE.jpeg

Last edited:
nice meeting y'all.. had a great time and thanks for all the help..
thanks for shooting, hope to see you guys again.
i did not see all 4 of you shoot but (sorry bad with names) lefty and the guy i was helping did well for first time cmp. Get a little used to it and scores will go up . Then they flatten out if you dont practice like me...stuck for ever in the 255-270 range with occasional 270+
Its a bit much to absorb all at once. Once you get used to the flow it gets easier.

thanks for shooting, hope to see you guys again.
i did not see all 4 of you shoot but (sorry bad with names) lefty and the guy i was helping did well for first time cmp. Get a little used to it and scores will go up . Then they flatten out if you dont practice like me...stuck for ever in the 255-270 range with occasional 270+
Its a bit much to absorb all at once. Once you get used to the flow it gets easier.

yeah.. we had fun.. Hard to be very good doing it for the first time, and not having all your own equipment set up for yourself. best score was a 230 from the ex-Army dude.. I was next at 190.. The righty big guy had a 186 and the lefty big guy struggled with a 75.. We all got a kick out of Franco.. reminded me of my dad.. Everyone was nice and helpful.

thanks again for the brass..

I've been there a few times, learn something each time. I have a lot of room for improvement, so even if the lesson is a small one, it's something to take away and hopefully remember.
Always good to see everyone!
-Mike

yeah.. we had fun.. Hard to be very good doing it for the first time, and not having all your own equipment set up for yourself. best score was a 230 from the ex-Army dude.. I was next at 190.. The righty big guy had a 186 and the lefty big guy struggled with a 75.. We all got a kick out of Franco.. reminded me of my dad.. Everyone was nice and helpful.

thanks again for the brass..

Just getting back to this thread and wanted to say how nice it was to see new faces. If you didn't figure it out, I was the one in the gray CMP shirt and was being a big pussy having to start rapid from prone due to a recent knee repair. The way to keep that fair is the gimp has to wait until someone else fires first. I had to bail out for a family obligation after 2 relays plus working the pits so really didn't get a chance to socialize much.

Which of you brought your own M1's?

Of the group
Just getting back to this thread and wanted to say how nice it was to see new faces. If you didn't figure it out, I was the one in the gray CMP shirt and was being a big pussy having to start rapid from prone due to a recent knee repair. The way to keep that fair is the gimp has to wait until someone else fires first. I had to bail out for a family obligation after 2 relays plus working the pits so really didn't get a chance to socialize much.

Which of you brought your own M1's?
of the group that came with EMTDAD he had his own and others used club guns.

Granby trip today. Among other things I plan to get in a little practice with some HXP in the M1- that's what I'm shooting on the 13th. Also will be shooting the Bula M14 today as prep for the 13th. Loaded up some of my favorites- 155 TMK's. I don't think I've shot the Bula since Vermont last fall?

Giving the AR-bomination a vacation for this next MM match. Still pisses me off about the rules changes that made me build that obscenity, and the damn thing mocks me by winning the last two matches (maybe three?) I shot it in. I should send a note to CMP or post on their forum that all their last rules change accomplished was to motivate competitors to burn more money and effort to create what's basically more of an equipment race than before. Don't get me wrong, I like winning- especially with a rifle I Frankenstein-ed together myself, but it should be more about skill than an equipment race. OK, off my perpetual soapbox...

edit- Yes, that's 3 in a row. Another win with the stupid AR. 287-6X in the June 2019 OCSA Modern Military.

Last edited:
Granby trip today. Among other things I plan to get in a little practice with some HXP in the M1- that's what I'm shooting on the 13th. Also will be shooting the Bula M14 today as prep for the 13th. Loaded up some of my favorites- 155 TMK's. I don't think I've shot the Bula since Vermont last fall?

Giving the AR-bomination a vacation for this next MM match. Still pisses me off about the rules changes that made me build that obscenity, and the damn thing mocks me by winning the last two matches (maybe three?) I shot it in. I should send a note to CMP or post on their forum that all their last rules change accomplished was to motivate competitors to burn more money and effort to create what's basically more of an equipment race than before. Don't get me wrong, I like winning- especially with a rifle I Frankenstein-ed together myself, but it should be more about skill than an equipment race. OK, off my perpetual soapbox...

edit- Yes, that's 3 in a row. Another win with the stupid AR. 287-6X in the June 2019 OCSA Modern Military.
was the june win with or with out optics ? Yeah its funny with the rule changes. They would have been better off just having a "M16A1" "M16A2" "M4clone" classification then a AOC
no optics no free floats and a decent weight limit. CMP MM AR went through 4 changes with the changing rules before I even shot one round. Its current configuration just makes weight but I have a HBAR barrel and Free float and shoot when I can. Im running it on the 13th with the last of my 60 grain nosler tipped
2nd entry is the M1a build....run of the mill dropped powder charge with the 155s stuffed on top. Shot a 284/6X 1st time out with that rifle. ! I think thats the dsame day you shot the 287!!!

was the june win with or with out optics ? Yeah its funny with the rule changes. They would have been better off just having a "M16A1" "M16A2" "M4clone" classification then a AOC
no optics no free floats and a decent weight limit. CMP MM AR went through 4 changes with the changing rules before I even shot one round. Its current configuration just makes weight but I have a HBAR barrel and Free float and shoot when I can. Im running it on the 13th with the last of my 60 grain nosler tipped
2nd entry is the M1a build....run of the mill dropped powder charge with the 155s stuffed on top. Shot a 284/6X 1st time out with that rifle. ! I think thats the dsame day you shot the 287!!!

I think that 287 was one of the first times I shot it without optics. Keep in mind that when it had optics it also had delta rings and Vietnam era triangular hand guard. I think my scores are actually higher in the most recent configuration. I expect a rule change any day from CMP that will A) cost me more money to comply, and B) reduce accuracy.

So you bringing 2 MM's? I think I'm going to go ahead and shoot the M1 + M1A. I liked how the '65 HXP shot in the M1 and likewise my favorite loads in the Bula. Once I had the sights dialed in, the groups were pretty sweet for both.

I think that 287 was one of the first times I shot it without optics. Keep in mind that when it had optics it also had delta rings and Vietnam era triangular hand guard. I think my scores are actually higher in the most recent configuration. I expect a rule change any day from CMP that will A) cost me more money to comply, and B) reduce accuracy.

So you bringing 2 MM's? I think I'm going to go ahead and shoot the M1 + M1A. I liked how the '65 HXP shot in the M1 and likewise my favorite loads in the Bula. Once I had the sights dialed in, the groups were pretty sweet for both.
have not shot the AR in a long time. i do love my garands but honestly they give me fits for shooting high scores. i just dont "fit" behind the M1 well. Always hunting for good holds/positions.
The AR ----they least of love. With the A1 stock i can just drop it into position and repeat. The M1a fits better than the M1. The AR and M1a i can get a solid heavy cheak weld. The M1 with out modifying my front sight more im sort of balancing my cheak to keep my eye up to the peep?

I tried tightening up the sling another notch for both the M1 and Bula. That combined with decent lighting helped me shoot some of my tightest 200 yd groups ever with irons. Funny h ow that doesn't translate to competition.

I tried tightening up the sling another notch for both the M1 and Bula. That combined with decent lighting helped me shoot some of my tightest 200 yd groups ever with irons. Funny h ow that doesn't translate to competition.
Im pretty tight on sling also. With all my rifles except the mosin nagant that tooth pic stock would probably crack !
Matches always bring out the problems...
last match (sorry forget name) part of the bearded gang , was on line " theres no way Im missing" only to find his front sight flopping around.

Im pretty tight on sling also. With all my rifles except the mosin nagant that tooth pic stock would probably crack !
Matches always bring out the problems...
last match (sorry forget name) part of the bearded gang , was on line " theres no way Im missing" only to find his front sight flopping around.

LOL, you got that right- weird problems only happen in matches. Doesn't make me immune from such problems, but I give match rifles a once-over to make sure none of the usual suspects come loose. I'll probably always have you know who's advice stuck in my brain, "Your (insert critical screw / part) itsa f-ing loose. You gotta inspect that f-ing thing BEFORE you shoot it in a match!"

LOL, you got that right- weird problems only happen in matches. Doesn't make me immune from such problems, but I give match rifles a once-over to make sure none of the usual suspects come loose. I'll probably always have you know who's advice stuck in my brain, "Your (insert critical screw / part) itsa f-ing loose. You gotta inspect that f-ing thing BEFORE you shoot it in a match!"
have my share of problems. Forgot bolt, ammo, wrong ammo , wrong gun , broken gun.....on and on

yeah.. The ex-army guy and I used my gun. The 2 big guys used club guns. I asked those guys if they were interested in doing it again.. 2/3 said yes. The other didn't respond..
its not for everybody, I have had folks with ARs and such say " really you lay down to shoot" Last group of AR plinkers I caught at the range and tried to get them to play 2 of them said. " Im only zeroed for 50 yards" I had to remind them the sights are adjustable and we will get you on target.

Back
Top Bottom