• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

yeah.. The ex-army guy and I used my gun. The 2 big guys used club guns. I asked those guys if they were interested in doing it again.. 2/3 said yes. The other didn't respond..

I showed up for the first time around 4 or 5 years ago after winning a free match karma sponsored by Mac. They haven't been able to get rid of me since.

Im sitting this one out. Kids softball schedule just came out. i swear they check OCSA website!
I might get out this weekend and shoot a mail in provisional score. Maybe I can bribe somone to pull for me ?

I'm looking to get a SLED and a 2 rd clip. Ammogarand.com says they don't ship "magazines" to MA. Any ideas where I can get these?
you can make your own sled.
I even made a lefthand version

2 round clip. I gave up and just twist the 2 rounds in the clip or load the rounds while standing.

this kid shows what i use for 2 rounds. i had to many clip issued with the fabricated 2 round clips.
i made a few home made clips but its not as easy as the sled. Still had some issues. Min 2:30

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_o-5vOm-A

Last edited:
Im sitting this one out. Kids softball schedule just came out. i swear they check OCSA website!
I might get out this weekend and shoot a mail in provisional score. Maybe I can bribe somone to pull for me ?

Well damn. They moved the games from Saturday?

So i wont be making it to OCSA sept 13th match .

So here is my Official , un official, does not count, not a real entry , virtual , covid distance Entry.

Rifle : Rock Ola reciever , GI parts kit. Criterion 1/10 twist barrel with LRB bolt. New SAI stock.
Ammo
R&P brass , sorted to 1 grain , Lee die set FL sized to bump shoulder back .003” trimmed to a few tho below max
Primer FGMM
Powder N150 41.6 grains. Thats where my powder drop settled
Bullet : Nosler new production 168 custom comps 2.775” COAL

I shot as close to how the match is run. Timed myself best as possible.
I used a modified version since no pit service and walking and pasting is not ideal when theres others using the range. So what I did was all 35 shots are used and the best 30 are scored.
I can see 30 cal holes at 200 in the white portion of the target sometimes in the black. So its a “hope im close” on your adjustments.
More or less if you dont see shots in the white thats good. If you can pick up your shots in the black and fine tune your sight adjustments thats even better.
The down side to this method is you dont get to see how you did for each stage. I was able to track all my “in the white” shots. I could not see to many in the black. I picked up on 1 of my sighters in the black and did one little adjustment then all shot for score. 1st 2 sighters where low center
Fun to get out but not having the crowd around was missed.
I will post target in a bit

Ok so 289/7x
I could only see 3 of my sighters through my scope , orange dots. First 2 low , made adjustment and 4th shot I picked up in the black , could have been 3 rd shot also? Who knows.
Anyhow I did see the 2 low 8s for off hand . Shot 2 and 7 IIRC then the one 8 at 9 oc which is where I usually loose shots in off hand .
My goal each time out is off hand 7 ring or better and every thing else in the black.
I dont shoot this well often. The new Rx helps alot. The M1a just feels better in my hands vs the garand.
Although that dumb metal box hanging down from the M1a is a pita even the 10 rounder!!
Any how hope you all shoot well and I will try to pop in after the game to say high and see how things are going.
5135B5D6-9862-4D81-B05D-514C605E602C.jpeg

Wish I knew what shot group did what , some vertical stringing there group wise but not sure if that was me , breathing, rapids ammo ... o well happy with end result.

Last edited:
So i wont be making it to OCSA sept 13th match .

So here is my Official , un official, does not count, not a real entry , virtual , covid distance Entry.

Rifle : Rock Ola reciever , GI parts kit. Criterion 1/10 twist barrel with LRB bolt. New SAI stock.
Ammo
R&P brass , sorted to 1 grain , Lee die set FL sized to bump shoulder back .003” trimmed to a few tho below max
Primer FGMM
Powder N150 41.6 grains. Thats where my powder drop settled
Bullet : Nosler new production 168 custom comps 2.775” COAL

I shot as close to how the match is run. Timed myself best as possible.
I used a modified version since no pit service and walking and pasting is not ideal when theres others using the range. So what I did was all 35 shots are used and the best 30 are scored.
I can see 30 cal holes at 200 in the white portion of the target sometimes in the black. So its a “hope im close” on your adjustments.
More or less if you dont see shots in the white thats good. If you can pick up your shots in the black and fine tune your sight adjustments thats even better.
The down side to this method is you dont get to see how you did for each stage. I was able to track all my “in the white” shots. I could not see to many in the black. I picked up on 1 of my sighters in the black and did one little adjustment then all shot for score. 1st 2 sighters where low center
Fun to get out but not having the crowd around was missed.
I will post target in a bit

Ok so 289/7x
I could only see 3 of my sighters through my scope , orange dots. First 2 low , made adjustment and 4th shot I picked up in the black , could have been 3 rd shot also? Who knows.
Anyhow I did see the 2 low 8s for off hand . Shot 2 and 7 IIRC then the one 8 at 9 oc which is where I usually loose shots in off hand .
My goal each time out is off hand 7 ring or better and every thing else in the black.
I dont shoot this well often. The new Rx helps alot. The M1a just feels better in my hands vs the garand.
Although that dumb metal box hanging down from the M1a is a pita even the 10 rounder!!
Any how hope you all shoot well and I will try to pop in after the game to say high and see how things are going.
View attachment 387061

Wish I knew what shot group did what , some vertical stringing there group wise but not sure if that was me , breathing, rapids ammo ... o well happy with end result.

Good shooting!

So for Sunday I'm just bringing my Garand. If I can stay long enough I'll shoot it twice. For me I think it best to try and improve with one rifle before picking up another in a match. The
Springfield, MM and Vintage can wait...

So for Sunday I'm just bringing my Garand. If I can stay long enough I'll shoot it twice. For me I think it best to try and improve with one rifle before picking up another in a match. The
Springfield, MM and Vintage can wait...
this is a good aproach, jumping from gun to gun and different ammo can have a negative impact on your score.
my 06 garand never sees the same load.
might have to change that going forward. Just pick a decent load and end it. Then i will know it was me.

this is a good aproach, jumping from gun to gun and different ammo can have a negative impact on your score.
my 06 garand never sees the same load.
might have to change that going forward. Just pick a decent load and end it
. Then i will know it was me.

No don't do that. Keep sweeping the bottom of your ammo cabinet for miscellaneous orphan loads and come to the match thus stocked with varying ammo. [devil]

No don't do that. Keep sweeping the bottom of your ammo cabinet for miscellaneous orphan loads and come to the match thus stocked with varying ammo. [devil]
im almost out of floor sweepings, so tuff tattahs.
maybe use up more HxP?
i did come across a batch of 8mm so I might run that for the last vintage.

im almost out of floor sweepings, so tuff tattahs.
maybe use up more HxP?
i did come across a batch of 8mm so I might run that for the last vintage.

[laugh]

The '65 HXP shoots pretty nice in the Franco Special. Last group I shot during my Granby shake-down was 1.8" and all in the X-ring at 200 yards with the sling. That's what I'm shooting next match though total crap shoot if I can repeat the good result in a match. My CC blems shot a 1.21" final group- under .6 MOA. Bit of cheating there though- once everything was settled down and hitting where I want on the target, the final groups for each load were only 3 shots. Still a nice result.

I've shot both the '03 NM and the K31 about that tight for 5 shot groups during similar shake-down sessions at Granby. I'll be damned if I can shoot groups at or less than MOA at 100 yards with irons. I think maybe 1-1/8 group best with the ARbomination? Of course they spread WAY out at a match LOL. Anyway hoping to do well in Garand as I've kinda sucked in that class lately.

Iron sights , aperture that is I think under 2 moa when my eyes where good and got along with my finger .
Last few years im always thinking minute of 9 ring!!

I have a few tins of HXP on clips left , no idea of year? Not sure if I should crack them open or sell it.
I might tuck one can away and hope
It will help pay for something in 10 years

the lot number on the side will tell you the years
Its been stuffed way back in the bunker about 10 years ago , so I forget .
I also have a few 4 can crates when they would ship it that way.
Sold off all the loose pack cmp pushed a while ago.
For the most part unless its GP 11 im done with surplus ammo
I,have only kept the HX P for when im to lazy to load for matches or i drag out the other M1s where accuracy is not a concern.

Please contact Rich on the 1st post flyer to make sure they have enough ammo for those using club guns.

I sent Rich a text to give him a head's up. @EMTDAD still a good idea to contact him once you confirm attendance of your crew. Looking forward to it!

What I'll shoot:
Bula M14 + my best loads for it to shoot Modern Military
Franco Special + HXP '65 right out of the box for Garand

BUR8O9Zh.jpg

thanks.. emailed ammogarand. Quick response is that they will.. problem solved..

so.. the SLED and 5 rounder come today... wait.. ordered a SLED and 2 rounder..

email Rob Morris.. I offer to keep the 5 rd and pay for the 2 rd if he takes care of the shipping.. only $3 and I really don't want to go thru the trouble of hunting down a padded envelope and dealing with all that crap...

he responds that he messed up and will just ship the 2 rounder no charge.. solid.. THAT's good customer service..

Although I only had one PM out of several For my Offer to pay entry fees.

If 1/2 the shooters that show up that told me they would its going to be a nice turn out. All first time CMP

Now since I wont be able to make the next 2 matches I will be rumming a Karma

The club recently scored a bunch of M2, so they will be able to supply the new shooters who need to buy ammo.

Back
Top Bottom