2022 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

For those that want to try it ... in my opinion the word "duplex" is incorrect. I need to buy the book and see what the guy calls it. If you Google Duplex loads, they are loads using two powders, usually a little bit of smokeless under black powder.
IIRC duplex according to Elmer Keith was using a threaded tube that extended from the primer pocket to say 3/4 of the way up the case. This directed the primer flame up to the front of the powder causing ignition at the front of the powder column which somehow caused consistent ignition and I think higher velocity. The idea was mimicking large artillery/cannon shells.

Then the term was stolen for dual powder loads. Usually a small charge of fast burning smokeless that was in the bottom of the case covered by black powder. The smokeless helps the load burn cleaner and more complete supposedly.

Somewhere along the line the military loaded multiple bullets. I can’t remember if they called those duplex loads or not.

And thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten to send my payment! (@Michael J. Spangler check your paypal)

I have some assorted "old school" reloading equipment I may bring to get some advice on, along the lines of "Save for Posterity, Use or Trash"
Received.

Been away for the weekend but I’ll get out the PMs to everyone with the location probably tomorrow. Can’t freaking wait for this seminar. Seriously one of my favorite days of the year.

IIRC duplex according to Elmer Keith was using a threaded tube that extended from the primer pocket to say 3/4 of the way up the case. This directed the primer flame up to the front of the powder causing ignition at the front of the powder column which somehow caused consistent ignition and I think higher velocity. The idea was mimicking large artillery/cannon shells.

Then the term was stolen for dual powder loads. Usually a small charge of fast burning smokeless that was in the bottom of the case covered by black powder. The smokeless helps the load burn cleaner and more complete supposedly.

Somewhere along the line the military loaded multiple bullets. I can’t remember if they called those duplex loads or not.

This is my understanding as well. "Duplex" is a old skool' trick to help boost and extend the black powder burn. Black Powder actually does not progressively burn like smokeless, BP "explodes" . They are different behaviors. I've also read that guys will load a small amount of 4F first, followed by a main charge of the primary 1.5F / 2F and so on.. Don't ask me for more insight, that's all I got, LOL

So is there any need for another pot ? I would be happy to bring along my LEE Pro 20# pot if it would help allowing more guys to try. My primary goal in attending is more to observe / listen and learn from the veteran casters rather than actual casting.
Yeah for sure. I’ll have 2 and I think Pastera has a couple.

Speaking of pots , anyone have a source of 120v heater elements?
Lee finally has their elements back in stock but at $30 not a terrible price
Oh and I think the Elements are the only lee part not made in the USA

Speaking of pots , anyone have a source of 120v heater elements?
Lee finally has their elements back in stock but at $30 not a terrible price
Oh and I think the Elements are the only lee part not made in the USA

$8 plus shipping

Looking for 380 ACP dies and molds. Will have many RCBS dies and other RCBS supplies to possibly trade. Will have lots of odds and ends, solvents, brass and random gun parts available. Think McDonalds Dollar menu.

I have all the COWW and SOWW sorted and ready for smelting. Will bring my smelting setup along with pewter, tin/lead solder and 1 pound 90/10 solder rolls. If you go home empty handed it will not be my fault. ;)

Yeah we really need better pic/video coverage this year. I usually don’t shut up long enough to take out my camera. Except to get broc during the twerk competition.

Back
Top Bottom