.22 for girlfriend help!

vik328

NES Member
Hi guys looking to get a .22 of some sorts my g.f comes shooting with me and she has a hard time with 180gr .40 to much recoil haha. Any suggestions looking to spend in the $300 range. All help is greatly appreciated

she has shot a 9mm it was much better my p250 ahs way to much recoil due to the polymer lower end even when i use 155gr its to much. 9 is not bad but i dont think ill find one for 300$ and 9mm ammo is almost as pricey as .40

Nice cheap S&W 22a is one way to go. Used at $275 or less, breaks down for cleaning easily, and it's accurate.

Only downside is the recoil buffer, which needs replacement every 1000 rounds or so, but s&w will send you new ones for free.

i have that, plus a Ruger Mk 3. Both are nice for target shooting, but the Ruger can frustrate those who can't follow disassembly/reassembly instructions. There was one for pretty cheap in the classifieds as proof.

Best of all, you've got a fun partner to take to the range. Good for you both!

i saw a mosquito at the local gun shop for 187!! but i read soem review people were not to happy

Hi guys looking to get a .22 of some sorts my g.f comes shooting with me and she has a hard time with 180gr .40 to much recoil haha. Any suggestions looking to spend in the $300 range. All help is greatly appreciated
"haha" - That's the dumbest thing to say especially when someone with little to no prior experience is shooting a pistol. My first "real" pistol was a Glock 23. After shooting it for the first time, I seriously contemplated if I should sell because I didn't expect so much recoil. Whenever I take a new shooter out, they only use my Walther 22 for the first few magazines before a large frame 9mm. They are never even offered a J frame for their first outing.
I would recommend finding a used / new Walther P 22. Once she gets used to it, a large frame 9mm is a good choice - manageable recoil and a "real" caliber.

"haha" - That's the dumbest thing to say especially when someone with little to no prior experience is shooting a pistol. My first "real" pistol was a Glock 23. After shooting it for the first time, I seriously contemplated if I should sell because I didn't expect so much recoil. Whenever I take a new shooter out, they only use my Walther 22 for the first few magazines before a large frame 9mm. They are never even offered a J frame for their first outing.
I would recommend finding a used / new Walther P 22. Once she gets used to it, a large frame 9mm is a good choice - manageable recoil and a "real" caliber.

altough I agree with most what your saying she has been there with me multiple times and si a great shot my p250 is also a bit big for her hands which also makes it hard. The "haha" was not ment in a bad way.

any experiance with the sr22?

A buddy has one. Shot it the other day. Feels nice. I like it except for the mag release. Has a bit more muzzle flip (comparably) to my MK 3, but being both .22's both are very controllable.

He likes my MK iii - I dig the SR22, My girlfriend also is a big fan of the SR22 (she thinks it's "cute").

i shot a ruger at the range .22lr i could hit a 12 in steel plate at 100 yards it was redic accurate will the ruger be similar?

Umm teach her proper grip and stance. Double up on the ear protection as well. You would be surprised but new shooters are more comfortable if there is less noise.

Umm teach her proper grip and stance. Double up on the ear protection as well. You would be surprised but new shooters are more comfortable if there is less noise.

I got her some pink ear plugs and ear muffs with some pink glasses as well! she always doubles up on the protection. I have been workign hard on the grip and the stance everytime i show her she does it right but the next time she pick up the gun back to the same old stance and hand grip.. so i have to tell her everytime

i shot a ruger at the range .22lr i could hit a 12 in steel plate at 100 yards it was redic accurate will the ruger be similar?

Which Ruger? Ruger SR22 @ 100 yards? Ruger Mk III @ 100 Yards?

Sounds like a story I just read in G&A...

One of the nice things about the MK2/3 is that if you want to compete in a pistol league, you can easily with or w/o a sight - its more of a target gun. The SR22 is not so much, but it feels nice in your hand.

Given the choice now I would pick the sr22 over the mosquito.
agreed - I've heard stories about the mosquito not liking ammo, but that really goes for lots of 22's

Last edited:
Which Ruger? Ruger SR22 @ 100 yards? Ruger Mk III @ 100 Yards?

Sounds like a story I just read in G&A...

One of the nice things about the MK2/3 is that if you want to compete in a pistol league, you can easily with or w/o a sight - its more of a target gun. The SR22 is not so much, but it feels nice in your hand.

agreed - I've heard stories about the mosquito not liking ammo, but that really goes for lots of 22's
mk III

Do her a favor. Take her to a shop or rental range and let her handle a few of these options.

Why: Consider the Rugers.

The SR-22 is nice. It is also very light weight and the grip is TINY compared to other guns. If it's too tiny for her, it won't be comfortable. I like them just fine, but they are very "meh" for me.

I prefer the Mark series guns, but note that they are heavier. I have seen new/casual female shooters get tired of holding up that weight fairly quickly (often they don't realize they are tired) - muscle tremors set in and their accuracy goes out the window, leading to disappointment. They would be better served by one of the lightweight polymer .22s.

There are a number of considerations along these lines, the easiest way to deal with it is to just have her pick them all up. Even better if she can shoot them. One of them is going to feel much better to her than the others. Buy that one and to heck with what everyone else prefers - particularly since you just want this to be a plinker for her.

Do her a favor. Take her to a shop or rental range and let her handle a few of these options.

Why: Consider the Rugers.

The SR-22 is nice. It is also very light weight and the grip is TINY compared to other guns. If it's too tiny for her, it won't be comfortable. I like them just fine, but they are very "meh" for me.

I prefer the Mark series guns, but note that they are heavier. I have seen new/casual female shooters get tired of holding up that weight fairly quickly (often they don't realize they are tired) - muscle tremors set in and their accuracy goes out the window, leading to disappointment. They would be better served by one of the lightweight polymer .22s.

There are a number of considerations along these lines, the easiest way to deal with it is to just have her pick them all up. Even better if she can shoot them. One of them is going to feel much better to her than the others. Buy that one and to heck with what everyone else prefers - particularly since you just want this to be a plinker for her.

Well shes about 5'2 about 110lbs so she deff needs something small and light my p250 is dao and after about 50-75 rounds she gets shkg tired

[If your going to just wing it buy a mkIII ruger. I would go for a nice revolver in 22 but hard to find in the 300 range.
After that go to a rental range and try out some opptions.
watch it with those hahhah's if your girl friend decides she is serious about shooting she will be laughing at you. There eyes and fine motor skills tend to be better than ours when the focus and try.....my wife shoots pistol bettercthan me when she applies her self.

Back
Top Bottom