.223/5.56 case tight in shellholder

I've got a few pieces of brass that fit "snuggly" in the shellholder. I know it's not just the one holder because I have a few and they feel the same in all of them. All brass is once fired, by me. No signs of rim damage/separation/denting. I'm not forcing them in, but it takes a little wiggle to put in/take out. Should I get rid of them or is this normal?

ETA: The brass is ATI from a case of M855 I used up.

Last edited:
That happens somewhat frequently to me when I'm working with Prvi Partizan brass in .223. The problem is usually solved after swiping the bottom/base of the brass over a whet stone a couple times to remove a slight rise that must occur during the molding/forming stage of the brass. Not sure if your problem is similar but you might look on the very base of the piece of brass for any slight burr or bulge.

Do the cases stand up straight when you put them on a table? I've had a bunch that leaned a few degrees to the side. It looked like the rims were bent when the primers were crimped...or perhaps when fired.

I have Lees and RCBSs, and they seem to fit the same in all of them. They don't seem to stand at an angle. So far it's only 3 out of about 500.

Sort them out then. Or load them.

There's a couple of things that can cause that. If you decapped them and there was a crimped primer pocket, the crimp can turn into a burr when you push out the primer.

If you haven't decapped them, sometimes the primer will 'jiffy pop' a bit if the load is hot (ATIs can be hot) and that can cause some resistance.

Update.

I ran these rounds and everything was fine. I'm loading them again, still snug in the holder. I'm going to keep them separate and keep using them for practice ammo.

Back
Top Bottom