.223 and 5.56mm in a CAR-15

STEED

NES Member
I have pre-ban CAR-15 A2 chambered for .223. Some one told me that I should not fire 5.56mm loads in the weapon because of higher pressues?

Is that true or are the two rounds interchangable?

If you doubt, don't do it.

It is true that you should NEVER use 5.56 ammo in .223 chambered firearms. But you could use .223 ammo in 5.56 chambered firearms.

I have fired thousands of 5.56mm cartridges through my AR. Sabre garrantied that my SS fluted bull barrel could eat whatever I feed it. Then they went out of business for dealings with foreign entities that violated arms laws.

It is wise to stick with the .223 in your case. You can fire either in a 5.56mm stamped barrel.

A .223 & 5.56 are different in ballistic pressures. The 5.56 produces more pressure, and thus should not be fired in rifles that are ".223 only". A 5.56 rifle can shoot both .223 & 5.56 with no problems.

It's about more than just the increased pressure, the chambers are different too. That's what brought about the .223 wylde chamber.

A 5.56 Wylde chamber can shoot both. Check with internet on Wylde chamber first. I shoot both in my S&W and RockRiver AR15's.

The technical name is the .223 Wylde. It's named after Bill Wylde who was an early pioneer with the AR-15s as an accurate rifle. We are talking back in the early 80s as far as I know. They turned them into full blown target rifles for NRA High Power with float tubes, heavy barrels......

The reamer he designed was in between a .223 minimum spec reamer, and a 5.56mm NATO reamer. One of the problems with the NATO chamber is that many of the dimensions are quite large. Larger than they really need to be for accuracy and long barrel life for a semi auto target rifle. If you go to AR15Barrels.com they have a very good comparison of a number of .223/5.56mm NATO reamer dimensions. Pay attention to the throat diameter and length.

One of the problems with all of this debate is that no one ever seems to realize that every company uses a different chamber reamer and what it is stamped on the barrel may or may not mean that a particular barrel is safe to shoot 5.56mm ammo. Every chamber is different and common sense should rule the day.

If you have a wood stocked Remington bolt gun that is stamped .223, it's probably going to have a chamber that is at the bottom end of the spec. with a short throat that is designed for great accuracy with light weight varmint bullets. If you shoot a 5.56mm round, it's not going to blow up. You might get sticky bolt lift and hard extraction, a blown primer or gas leaking around the primer or even a face full of it, but the thing is not going to be a bomb.

Does anyone think that they would continue to shoot that ammo if those things happened? Use your skills at observation and look at the cases. If something is off, it probably is.

On the other hand, that same rifle, may have several thousand rounds through it and because of throat erosion, may be perfectly safe to shoot 5.56mm ammo.

B

The technical name is the .223 Wylde. It's named after Bill Wylde who was an early pioneer with the AR-15s as an accurate rifle. We are talking back in the early 80s as far as I know. They turned them into full blown target rifles for NRA High Power with float tubes, heavy barrels......

The reamer he designed was in between a .223 minimum spec reamer, and a 5.56mm NATO reamer. One of the problems with the NATO chamber is that many of the dimensions are quite large. Larger than they really need to be for accuracy and long barrel life for a semi auto target rifle. If you go to AR15Barrels.com they have a very good comparison of a number of .223/5.56mm NATO reamer dimensions. Pay attention to the throat diameter and length.

One of the problems with all of this debate is that no one ever seems to realize that every company uses a different chamber reamer and what it is stamped on the barrel may or may not mean that a particular barrel is safe to shoot 5.56mm ammo. Every chamber is different and common sense should rule the day.

If you have a wood stocked Remington bolt gun that is stamped .223, it's probably going to have a chamber that is at the bottom end of the spec. with a short throat that is designed for great accuracy with light weight varmint bullets. If you shoot a 5.56mm round, it's not going to blow up. You might get sticky bolt lift and hard extraction, a blown primer or gas leaking around the primer or even a face full of it, but the thing is not going to be a bomb.

Does anyone think that they would continue to shoot that ammo if those things happened? Use your skills at observation and look at the cases. If something is off, it probably is.

On the other hand, that same rifle, may have several thousand rounds through it and because of throat erosion, may be perfectly safe to shoot 5.56mm ammo.

B

I have a .223 Wylde wondeing what a 5.56 Wylde was? Lol

Back
Top Bottom