.223 OAL question

KDK

Hi all,

So I'm a new reloader and I loaded my first batch of .223 with 55 grain Nosler FBHP Varmageddons. I followed the book exactly with regards to powder and OAL. My OAL is 2.258 (just short of the recommended 2.260). I haven't shot the rounds yet but inserted them into my upper receiver of my AR-15 and noticed two things.

1. The cartridges did not slide out easily and needed the assistance of a rod down the barrel (no pressure was needed I had the upper separated from the lower for the sake of safety). I assume this is the result of using full size dies rather than small base and hope it won't cause a FTE when I shoot.

2. Striations appearing just beyond the ogive of the bullet that appeared to be (not sure though) rifling. Could the bullet be contacting the rifling at this OAL? My concern is causing an overpressure issue due to contact with the rifling upon ignition. I didn't think this was possible with this bullet length in a semiauto loading from the magazine. I loaded the cartridges with 23.5 grains of IMR 4850 and used the lowest pressure loading provided.

Should I be concerned with either of these issues or am I over thinking it?

Striations appearing just beyond the ogive of the bullet that appeared to be (not sure though) rifling. Could the bullet be contacting the rifling at this OAL? My concern is causing an overpressure issue due to contact with the rifling upon ignition. I didn't think this was possible with this bullet length in a semiauto loading from the magazine. I loaded the cartridges with 23.5 grains of IMR 4850 and used the lowest pressure loading provided.

Yes it is possible (but unlikely with a 55gr bullet). Did you measure the bullet in your rifle to determine the length at which the bullet contacts the lands?

How is your cartridge headspace length? If it's really short but the case length is OK, then the necks could be long enough to cause problem #1 if you inserted the round by hand and not with the bolt.

First thing that comes to my mind is your resizing die may not be set up properly, you should invest in a headspace guage like the ones from Wilson or an RCBS precision mic.

L. E. WILSON Inc.

RCBS PRECISION MIC CARTRIDGE HEADSPACE TOOL | Sinclair Intl

Did you try making up a dummy round and cycling in through the action, if you can't extract the dummy round using the charging handle/bolt, or if you have to pound on it to get it out something is amiss.

Chamber clean?

Last edited:
I found my hornady seating die would "mark" some manufactures bullets with a "ring" near the ogive. The profile of the seating stem doesnt match the some bullets well? If your dies are set up right look to see if your chamber is clean.? I would recheck dies if you do not have something like the RCBS precision mic.

Back
Top Bottom