.223 reloding

Starting to reload .223 . What size primer do I use? small rifle?
What is a good bullet to use? Target shooting for now . 100 yds.
What is a good powder to use?
will have more questions later.
Barrel length 20" twist 1 in 9
Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
I need to learn to read everything. 75 grain bullets may or may not stabilize in the 1-9. I have found that my 1-9 16 in. bull stabilizes them just fine and loves the Hornady Match. It is standard practice to use 62 grain or lighter bullets in a 1-9. If you are looking for something to test, give this a try: 24.7 grains of BL-C(2) and the 75 grain I mentioned. I shot a .870, .780, and .630 earlier this week with it. 5 shot groups. Not outstanding, but certainly good (enough)out of an AR.

69 grain match kings might be worth a try. Sierra says they'll stabilize in a 1x9.

For target shooting get the 55gr Hornady bulk pack bullets for about $80/1000. You don't need to waste your money on match bullets or anything heavier for 100 yards.

A good load for those is 25.0gr of A2230.

For target shooting get the 55gr Hornady bulk pack bullets for about $80/1000. You don't need to waste your money on match bullets or anything heavier for 100 yards.

Thanks.
Going to get primers tomorrow. What type. Small rifle? Also looking for case prep supplies .
Heading to a NH supply store

I'm not so sure Eddie. If you were talking factory stuff it would make a big difference.But reloading a 55g yourself will definitely be better than a factory 55g even at a 100 yards

As a newbie reloading for my AR
1st I would go with hornady 55g FMJBT as they are one of the least expensive better quality bullet.
I purchased some remington .224 bullets that side by side with hornady look like crap.

Also you will be working up a load for what ever you choose to start with. I really think as some will ask "What are you shooting these out of?
Although not a good group by standards but for my first batch of reloads for my AR and the conditions tested in not horrible. I used what I had left of IMR4895, CCI #41 primers,hornady 55 FMJBT and LC cases http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/118292-1st-AR-.223-reloads?highlight=

Just from a new to reloading point of view.
I have been reloading for my Garand 30-06 using varget powder starting @ 10% less than the minimum specs from hornady #7 manual and working up.(350 rounds so far)
Lets just say the first batch was less than stellar. As I progressed with the powder charge accuracy increased. I then on my last 60 rounds ran out of VARGET. Things where looking good with the varget. Shot my best CMP 100 yard reduced target format score of 406. prone sitting standing A HUGE increase for me, mainly from reloads.

NOW got to the point where I use some 4895 I have on hand and I shot them today, 50 degrees blue sky just a nice day for shooting. My starting load of IMR 4895 performed, well lets say it cycled the action and that's about it. SO you can reload match bullets to someones"this works great in my rifle" loads. Or get comfortable with reloading, build up a load to your rifle and practice your skills.

Im reloading for my AR because I want better accuracy than steel case ammo and a better price than some of the factory stuff.
My AR that I shoot most is a Stag H2 with detachable rear sight. I ran several hundred rounds of 75g match grade ammo from hornady and I just could not get a grouping period. I then tried some 62gr Remington Premier Match Ammunition things tightened right up but at 28.00/20 rounds not my cup of tea for 100y range target shooting.
to date the best factory ammo I have/used is PPU loaded to M193 specs. My skill set or lack of gets me just inside 2" off a sand bag. Now why I tried match ammo in a run of the mill service rifle is beyond me. Maybe I thought I had a hidden match gun in there somewhere[smile][roll eyes].

Varget seems to be the most used amongst the reloaders that I talked to face to face for AR,Garand, and M14 shooters. I also know a few 308 bolt gun shooters who like it also. The claim to fame is the stability of Varget in large temp range.

I recommend as I did buy a few different bullets and a few 1lb jugs of powder. Keep track of how each load does. You will find something that your gun likes OR you can just load up some 55 grainers with known load data and blast away.

Its all fun.

Thanks.
Going to get primers tomorrow. What type. Small rifle? Also looking for case prep supplies .

Yeah, small rifle.

I'm not so sure Eddie. If you were talking factory stuff it would make a big difference.But reloading a 55g yourself will definitely be better than a factory 55g even at a 100 yards

The bullet itself is going to determine most of the accuracy. Anything you do (reloading-wise) cannot make up for a bad bullet, and most of the bulk pack 55gr are not that good.

Varget is a great powder that can produse outstanding results. The down side is that it does not meter as well as others. Let me clarify that. It does not meter as well out of some measures. It is a small extruded grain powder and in volume measures it tends to give less consistant throws that smaller powders. If you are starting with a light charge and trickling up, this is not an issue, but something to consider. Varget is quite popular for its results down range.

Varget is a great powder that can produse outstanding results. The down side is that it does not meter as well as others. Let me clarify that. It does not meter as well out of some measures. It is a small extruded grain powder and in volume measures it tends to give less consistant throws that smaller powders. If you are starting with a light charge and trickling up, this is not an issue, but something to consider. Varget is quite popular for its results down range.

I also like Varget, and agree that it wants to be trickled up for an accurate weight. Which is a pain if your loading lots of rounds. I switched to Benchmark powder for .223's. It's a little shorter and measures more accurately.

55 grain Hornadys are a good place to start. Save the expensive HPBT projectiles for the 300- and 600-yard lines.

55_grain

Several great shooters I know love Reloader 15. And they use Hornady 55g FMJBT bulk pack bullets. As one friend says, "they hammer".

I'm using Win 748 for rifle loads. I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to shooting. But these reload do very well by me. I'm using 26.3 grains of Win 748 with the aforementioned Hornady 55g FMJBT and an OAL of 2.225. Truth is I used a laddered approach, and found that 26 and 26.5 grains seemed to give the same results, so I picked a number in the middle, allowing for small variations in powder metering.

Good luck, Mike!

Rich

Thanks.

If you can find them, IMHO I think the best primers for .223 are Remington small rifle 7 1/2 benchrest primers. I have a friend that shoots AR15/.223 comp and he swears by CCI bench rest primers...probably not a lot of difference between the two.

Last edited:
I'm with Eddie Coyle, took his advice a year ago and it's good advice. Hornady 55gr FMJ BT over A2230, or my latest favorite: TAC, gets me sub moa groups at 100 yds, about as good as you can do with that bullet. Can't beat the price for hundred yard stuff. Save your money for 200 and 300 yd loads, that's where you'll want the 70 gr. and up bullets (for 3x the cost). I have 1:9 x 20" barrel too.
Wolf Small Rifle Primers have worked great for me and as they are softer than the Magnums (another popular primer for .223) it's easier to read pressure signs (no problems with slam fires here).
Was getting great results with Varget too but it's tough stuff to work with as what worked best was full cases/compressed loads and it doesn't meter so great. Good luck.
Eddie, you gotta try TAC, same price as A2230.

Do primers go bad. Found a guy at my club that has some primers for sale. 1970's cci. They were in a house 1st floor den for years. That's all I know. any opinions?

Primer question. Do primers go bad due to age? Have opportunity to buy some old ones. 1970's or so CCI small pistol. Stored in an upstairs den. Owner died someone trying to unload them. No pun imtended

Primer question. Do primers go bad due to age? Have opportunity to buy some old ones. 1970's or so CCI small pistol. Stored in an upstairs den. Owner died someone trying to unload them. No pun imtended

I'm hardly an expert but I have been using some primers I found in an ammo can a few weeks back that have been in there for at least 25 years and they have been all going bang when the hammer drops on them in my 45 acp...no misfires in several hundred rounds so far...BTW, each box of 100 was priced 99 cents...amazing

As long as the primers were kept dry and weren't exposed to a lot of heat they should be fine. How many and how much? You can by new ones at the store that will almost certainly work.

I've had good luck with the A2230. Did you see better accuracy with the TAC? Is it cleaner?

Jim,
More accurate, yes, and it meters pretty much the same. Cleaner, no, about the same. I'd say you can use them interchangeably, the TAC might be a tad less temperature sensitive. I couldn't find the A2230 at 1 point so tried the TAC, just ordered another jug.
Mark

That's just barely below the current price for a fresh case of NEW primers.

Half that price for primers that are that old is a better deal in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom