.223 reloding

the best price I have seen on wolf primers is 20/1000 by the case......shipped to free states that is. Hardly if ever do you see wolf primers in SE mass. winchester and CCI seem to be whats around and they are not cheap. It has been part of the game for me in reloading, finding components. A few late nights on line and a good free state friend has worked out good for me....
Even with hazmat and shipping I have my reloads down to what I consider good prices. useing the reload calculator

.223= .17ea
55gn Hornady FMJBT
Varget/4895 same price
CCI #34 primers
brass once fired from my own gun over the years(free ?) I could have got this down a bit more but I just could not swing a case of 8lb jugs and 6000 bullets

30-06 for my garand= .33 ea
Hornady 168gn HPBT-FMJ, scored these online from a shop that was clearing house I bought the last 2000@ the same price as his last 500 150gn FMJBT + free shipping!
varget powder
CCI #41 primers
HXP cases from CMP ammo I purchased and shot over the last year.

I can not see much more reduction in price with out investing in a bullet swager, not happening any time soon or makeing a considerably larger purchase.

Last edited:
H335 is the powder I use for my AR loads. Meters well and burns clean. 25gr under a 55gr FMJ allows me to hit steel at 600 yds without trying. It also seems to be relatively temperature insensitive..which was important shooting in the desert due to seeing 100 degree changes in temperature at the range throughout the year.

This is with either Federal or Prvi Partisan (PPU) cases and CCI military primers...#41...which acts like a magnum primer.

Jason

For target shooting get the 55gr Hornady bulk pack bullets for about $80/1000. You don't need to waste your money on match bullets or anything heavier for 100 yards.

A good load for those is 25.0gr of A2230.

I used PMC Bronze 55g for this at 100yds
ad30e712-0392-9fbe.jpg

Then used a Black Hills 69g match for this
ad30e712-03d4-0b96.jpg

You can see that it is a tighter group. Although neither is that impressive I still think it makes a difference even at 100yrds

This I used a 69g Sierra HPBT w/ 24.7gr of Varget. Now this makes quite a difference
ad30e712-0631-d006.jpg

I should mention the later one was benched and the others with a bi-pod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Varget 25.0G (55g FMJBT) but recently switched to H-335 because the spillage of Varget granules would clog up my primer dispenser on my L-N-L. And that's with keeping my compressor fired up and airing everything off regularly. H-335 meters well and doesn't seem to do the same sort of clogging that Varget does. There is occasional spillage but with less problem. I did recently receive a bunch of Hornady 55g bulk stuff and thus far I'm very pleased with the quality.

Santa brought me my first .223 target rifle (always been a .30 guy). The guys at my club who have extensive .223 experience suggested, (based upon the 1:12 twist, bolt action, and 26" barrel of this rifle), that 52 gr Sierra HPBTs over H322 would do the trick. Two rounds at 200 yards have proven them correct, as they usually are. Very consistent and accurate.

JR

I used PMC Bronze 55g for this at 100yds
ad30e712-0392-9fbe.jpg

Then used a Black Hills 69g match for this
ad30e712-03d4-0b96.jpg

You can see that it is a tighter group. Although neither is that impressive I still think it makes a difference even at 100yrds

This I used a 69g Sierra HPBT w/ 24.7gr of Varget. Now this makes quite a difference
ad30e712-0631-d006.jpg

I should mention the later one was benched and the others with a bi-pod

Nice shooting Scott.
Make them yourself, or at your buddy's?

Those were hand loads at my father in laws. I still haven't set up the 650 for .223 yet. How's your setup coming Mike?

This is my target. I used 55 gr hornady, 25.5 gr of varget. cci small rifle primers. this was done from a bipod at 50 yards with a red dot, no magnification. Yes their are 30 rounds on this target. it was done with my ar with a 1 in 9 inch twist

Ar72409.jpg

Last year, Father's Day... My son and I drew red stars on blank pieces of paper, at 100 yards, and had a ball doing the carnival "Shoot out the star" thing, with my AR's. We were shooting so rapidly, changing out mags so fast, that the RSO came by to check on us. He thought we were shooting one gun, full auto. (which is not allowed on that range)

My son won two games. All shots were 1 MOA at 100 yards. We went through a full case of ammo in a matter of 1/2 hour or so.

I'm sticking with the Hornady 55 grain, and BLC(2) powder. My AR's have 1:9 barrels.

Father's Day is Sunday, I am sure we are going shooting again. Have to come up with a new game.

Back
Top Bottom