.22LR MEGA THREAD!

I learned something new about plated vs. non-plated .22's recently, that I was unaware of.
Plating on the projo can vary wildly and effect the projo's weight. This can open up a spread on POI.
Lead projos are more uniform in weight and are better suited for target shooting...

Or we jump in the Wayback Machine to the 90s when Kmart was selling off their inventory of ammo and pick up a few milk crates of Lightning.
$. 02 a round and Winnie just loves it!

Attachments

• 1537407104259397397283.jpg
    1537407104259397397283.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 43
OK, who else makes a truncated cone hollow point TCHP besides Winchester? Are there any in Interceptor or Velocitor speeds? (For that matter, what type of point do those have?) Something in a 36-38 grain would probably be moving a little faster, right?

Truncated Cone Hollow Point Ammo Explained at Ammo.com

"The truncated cone hollow point (TCHP) is a truncated cone bullet with a hole in the tip to promote expansion on impact and to boost the stopping power. The standard truncated cone is a smooth-feeding bullet with more penetration than your average round nose or soft point, due to the shape.

For penetration, the TC bullet type is a spectacular choice for semi-automatic pistols and rifles. If you add in the stopping power of the hollow point, you’ve got a bullet that will devastate a soft target if it impacts any vital area. The truncated cone hollow point is often used for plinking and target shooting. Another great use – due to its rapid expansion and fragmentation – is small-game hunting and pest control.

Truncated Cone Hollow Point Features
  • Truncated Cone: This looks like an inverted cone with the end cut off, leaving a nice, flat meplat that can offer various levels of penetration – depending on its diameter.
  • Hollow Point: The hollow point combined with the truncated cone is like peanut butter and chocolate – it was just meant to be. Now you’ve got great penetration paired with the famed stopping power and wound creation of the hollow point. What more could you ask for in terms of quick, clean kills?
  • Variety: You can get this style of bullet in ammo lines of most calibers: .22LRs are very common in this style, and other calibers like .45 ACP are available in TCHP, but not quite as common."

Ooh. The "dimple" in the center of that rimfire, where a primer would be on a centerfire, looks like it would aid the primer compound into the rim during centrifugal rotation.
Ensuring a better ignition.
Cool.
"Federal engineers spent years developing this blueprint round which delivered superb accuracy enabling the USA Olympic Team to bring home Gold and Silver medals from Barcelona in the 1992 Summer Olympic Games."
th

Ooh. The "dimple" in the center of that rimfire, where a primer would be on a centerfire, looks like it would aid the primer compound into the rim during centrifugal rotation.
Ensuring a better ignition.
Cool.
L1010091.jpg
that was the theory , russians did it also. Think it was called Olympia or some thing. I will gander it was a added expense that really did not prove it self worthy.

that was the theory , russians did it also. Think it was called Olympia or some thing. I will gander it was a added expense that really did not prove it self worthy.

I'm sure the primer slurry is fairly thin to allow it to "spin" into the rim and is exactly as you say.
~Matt

"22 LR MEGA THREAD!" o_O

My hope is that this becomes the "Go To" thread for anyone who has questions, advice and tips as well as Deals and Availability related to the venerable .22 Long Rifle Round.
That would also include the firearms that are chambered in this timeless classic.

So, If you "know things" lets hear them. If you have questions...ask them here.

~Matt

Well, I found one more truncated cone, but not hollow point.

Remington, Viper Hyper Velocity, .22LR, Plated Truncated Cone, 36 Grain, 100 Rounds - 144308, .22lr Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

Remington, Viper Hyper Velocity, .22LR, Plated Truncated Cone, 36 Grain, 100 Rounds

Key Features
  • Caliber: .22LR
  • Bullet Weight: 36 grain
  • Bullet Style: Plated Truncated Cone
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1,410 FPS
  • Muzzle Energy: 159 ft.-lbs.
  • Case Type: Brass
  • Corrosive: No

That thing is zinging right along at 1,410 FPS. I'd rather they take a 40 grain, and drill 2 grains out of the truncated cone for a hollow point, making it 38.

Anyone?

Eley Tenex .22lr Ammunition
Select (Copy) Lot number. Example:1018-01123
Scroll down page to:
See how this Lot performed at the Factory at MyEley.com
Go to MyEley.com and paste lot number in window. Hit search. Enjoy. Repeat to find the lot you want. [thumbsup]
Sample results:

10 shot groups at 54.7yd (50m)
98718_658.png

The 50 shot groups represent the consolidation of each 10 shot group to provide a combined accuracy measurement. We are looking for consistency across the entire sample not just 10 shots.

ELEY speedometer
40291_876.png

A chronograph placed at the muzzle of a 24" barrel is used to calculate an average lot velocity in feet per second (fps).

target rings
26182_911.png

This target shows rings at 0.1 inch increments from the center of the bull. We can use the radial dispersion to predict the percentage of shots that will hit each of the target rings.

shot distribution
18167_986.png

Eley is my goto for all serious 22 work. Benchrest, silhouette, and hunting.
For plinking fun it's usually Golden Bullets. It's cheap, it is available everywhere and there is usually one dud in every bulk pack.

Way back machine for me is the russian Junoir 22lr
heavy lube, brass and steel cases, my dad used to pick it up at a NH gun show in some high school on the way home. Came in 25k round cases. At something like $38/5000?

Tomorrow! I promise!
I swear on a stack of Garands.
or two...

[smile]

~Matt

navy-recruit-training-1960s-m1-m-1-garand-stack-arms-navy-used-1903s-m1917s-as-drill-rifles-into-1960s-great-lakes.jpg

Last edited:
CCI Min-Mag 40grainCopper plated Round Nose on Sale at Target Sports 50 X 100 Rail Box (5000) $299.50 $0.04/ round

The gold brass copper-plated standard at rock bottom prices. Yow.

Wow. Looks like the mini mags are back in stock everywhere.
Took only about, oh, 7 years.

I.e., since before my time.

For you Mini-Mag Lovers...

CCI Min-Mag 40grainCopper plated Round Nose on Sale at Target Sports 50 X 100 Rail Box (5000) $299.50 $0.04/ round (free ship)

Not trying to be a dick but -- CCI for ¢4 per round? Because 299.50/5000=0.0599 ~ ¢6 per round, yes? Still a good deal.

P.S.> The same vendor's Prime Member price for Aguila 38gr HP is $174.71 (5000) or ¢3.5 per round and based on my good experience with it paying the extra $100 for the CCI is hard to justify.

:emoji_tiger:

this is a good time to stock up on .22lr. target sport has been running this or a similar sale pretty regularly for a while.

"buy it cheap and stack it deep"
Should be stocking deep on all things ammo, primers , powder and such.
If you like shooting you should have at least what you would normally shoot a year and then some and keep adding to it when possible.
When it comes to 22lr buy the ammo you like and shoots well in your rifle/pistol

Eley Tenex .22lr Ammunition
Select (Copy) Lot number. Example:1018-01123
Scroll down page to:
See how this Lot performed at the Factory at MyEley.com
Go to MyEley.com and paste lot number in window. Hit search. Enjoy. Repeat to find the lot you want. [thumbsup]
Sample results:

10 shot groups at 54.7yd (50m)
98718_658.png

The 50 shot groups represent the consolidation of each 10 shot group to provide a combined accuracy measurement. We are looking for consistency across the entire sample not just 10 shots.

ELEY speedometer
40291_876.png

A chronograph placed at the muzzle of a 24" barrel is used to calculate an average lot velocity in feet per second (fps).

target rings
26182_911.png

This target shows rings at 0.1 inch increments from the center of the bull. We can use the radial dispersion to predict the percentage of shots that will hit each of the target rings.

shot distribution
18167_986.png
The dime standard, eley bench mark is all rounds will hit a dime at 50 yards. Take the next step and go or send your rifle to the eley test center and find a lot# that shoots out standing in your platform then buy 25-50k rounds of it.

How many rounds of CCI Quiet should one have on hand? Asking for a friend.
enough so his kids will need to figure out what to do with it when he passes.
My dads basic formula for ammo supply was simple.
What do you shoot per year plus min of 25% on hand.
Then keep supply up by buying 2x as much before your range trip place that on the back of the shelf.
Lets say your shooting 5200 rounds a year. Can be one cal or many
Lets say your lucky and go once a week =100 week and you go on sunday . On friday you should buy 200 rounds.
you replace the 100 you used and added 1 box for reserve.
You will efectively have 5200 rounds on your shelf at all times.
until the next problem comes. You can also supplement your stock buy buying ammo when you see it for good prices.

funny thing about my dad is he even bought ammo for cal we did not have if he thought it was a good price. After I ended up buying rifles for some of that ammo.

I'd just like to try maybe 50 of each of these, to see how my guns like them. I'd be willing to pay you more than what it cost you. Anyone in the Worcester area want to help out a guy in need? Once I determine something works OK, I'd probably do a case. PM me.

Thanks.

I'd just like to try maybe 50 of each of these, to see how my guns like them. I'd be willing to pay you more than what it cost you. Anyone in the Worcester area want to help out a guy in need? Once I determine something works OK, I'd probably do a case. PM me.

You can just order individual boxes from targetsports for yourself and try what you want.

Back
Top Bottom