.22LR MEGA THREAD!

The Savage is small and light for a target rifle. I will put them on the scale to see who the heavyweight is. I will even caliper the barrels.
When I make it to the range I plan to test four or five types of ammo at 50 yards to see who likes what and to see if cheap ammo is accurate enough for hunting, dueling trees, silhouette matches.
Also curious if any of the old rifles are losing accuracy from unknown thousands of rounds throughout the years.
Depending on what your specs are for what you need will let you know. Most dueling trees are 4" , chickens are 2" at 4 0 yards so 4moa or less.....i cant hit ch kens off hand well with 1moa set up.
My 513t likes SK standard plus with out spending $$

Finally getting around to shooting some of the ammo that was stockpiled during the dark years. When .22 couldn't be found, I would pick up anything I could get my hands on. Went to the range today with a bulk box of Remington Golden Bullets. After about 120 rounds through a Ruger 10/22, the magazines were so dirty they were starting to have feed problems. Never seen this happen before. Black, gritty residue everywhere. I don't even want to shoot the rest of the box. Maybe better out of the Henry, but still what a mess.

Finally getting around to shooting some of the ammo that was stockpiled during the dark years. When .22 couldn't be found, I would pick up anything I could get my hands on. Went to the range today with a bulk box of Remington Golden Bullets. After about 120 rounds through a Ruger 10/22, the magazines were so dirty they were starting to have feed problems. Never seen this happen before. Black, gritty residue everywhere. I don't even want to shoot the rest of the box. Maybe better out of the Henry, but still what a mess.
BUT you got through 120 rounds with out major jams and FTF [bow]

The Golden Bullets aren't as messy from my bolt guns and pump guns. We use it for backyard plinking fun. I think it isn't a clean burning powder in those and with the autoloader it gets messy. Probably cheap case lube as well just to add to the gummy fun.
But at least they are cheap!

The "Doubler" is more my cup of scotch...

iu

I prefer these...

DOUBLE.jpg

I prefer these...

I am not familiar with this offering from Federal but ordered a box for range fodder. I'll let you know what I think when I shoot it...

$65.99/case of 1600
$0.04/round

108502.jpg

Federal Black Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 36 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose 1600 Rounds review Federal 22 Long Rifle is new production ammo featuring a 36 grain copper plated HOLLOW-POINT bullet. It was crafted as practice ammo and is the perfect choice for an inexpensive target and practice round for hitting the range with. These rounds are even packaged in a sealed can to prevent corrosion during long term storage. You can be sure you practice rounds are every bit as reliable and accurate as ammo labeled for competition. Federal ammo is packaged in cases of 1600 rounds. Free shipping is available on bulk orders of this Federal 22 Long Rifle ammo.

I just got a box of this stuff at Kittery Trading Post. It was $59.99 on sale (marked down from $74.99), with another $20 off that using a rebate. Will try it out, and if good, may get up there after Christmas for other sales and pick up another case or two of this.

Good score, but you may only get to use that rebate once per household. May need to submit it under a friend's name/address...

I think the rebate itself says 5 per household. If they still have some after Christmas, I might go back up there to see what sales are going on.

I was up at KTP today and they still have lots of Federal Black Packs. All calibers too. The .22 was 1600 rounds for $59.99
Was at ktp Sunday they were stacked deep with 22lr. Every imaginable type. They even had actual 22 long (not 22 long rifle) which I had not seen anywhere in forever.

Segmented......frangable....green tag......quiet.....aguila.....subsonic.....shorts.....you name it they had it.

CCI standard velocity is about 3.7 cents a round from target sports with a prime membership and the current rebate offer. Pretty decent price. It's about $185 delivered for 5000 rounds after the discount and rebate from CCI.

Last week I ordered some CCI rimfire ammo for the first time in a year (Mini Mag .22 LR 40gr PRN).

When it arrived I was surprised to see the new design on the 100 round selves. Gone is the "V" target sight monogram and any reference to "High Velocity" from the old labeling.
gWvRaxP.jpg

I went to the CCI website and in the product listings they are still using images of the old packaging design.

I had to take the above photo because I could not find an example on the web to share.

However their 2019 catalog shows that the overall new design is uniform throughout their product line along with using a color-coded bar to distinguish their categories of cartridge use as Varmint, Small Game, Target, Competition, and Pest Control.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/downloads/CCI_Catalog_2019.pdf

This is probably not news to folks who have bought CCI ammo this year that wasn't old stock.

Last edited:
How different is "the mission" in a .22, for Varmint, Small Game, and Pest Control?

Are they all not just shooting some lead into a small mammal in order to kill it as quickly, efficiently, and humanely as possible?

How different is "the mission" in a .22, for Varmint, Small Game, and Pest Control?

Are they all not just shooting some lead into a small mammal in order to kill it as quickly, efficiently, and humanely as possible?
This is highly dependent on end result.
Lets say
Match ammo is often 40gn , under 1100fps and round nose.
Up close its ok but linger out some distance the velocity drops and theres less energy on target.
If you ever hit a bird squirrel , rabbit or any animal in a non vital zone they tend to just carry on with life.
Plus there is more QC with target and match ammo...generally.
Then you have the higher velocity stuff ment to carry a bit more energy down range.
Then hollow points that may or may not expand depending on distance and velocity.
Then there is Price. Not many will pay .30 per (tenex and high end lapua and norma) to take out vermin

Anybody remember when there was just ".22", not all these choices?
I remeber when it was 22short long or long rifle then expensive match stuff.
I shot a ton of steel cased russian ammo in the late 70s early 80s as a young kid. I still have some of the brass cased Russian ammo...
Theres always been a bit of a selection its just most shops and kmart/sears hardware stores stocked the cheapest stuff. CCI stingers where around back then also but I dont remember al ot of people using them

Last edited:
I remeber when it was 22short long or long rifle then expensive match stuff.
I shot a ton of steel cased russian ammo in the late 70s early 80s as a young kid. I still have some of the brass cased Russian ammo...
Theres always been a bit of a selection its just most shops and kmart/sears hardware stores stocked the cheapest stuff. CCI stingers where around back then also but I dont remember al ot of people using them

Yeah, there were the different sizes, but for the most part, in.22LR you could get a few brands, and that was it. There were Stingers, but they were more expensive. Nobody bought them because they did not have the spare cash. Now that credit cards exist, people just buy whatever they want, not what they can afford.

Late 80s
Winchester,CCI,Rem, lapua -maybe 90s, tenex, weco , federal , Junoir, norinco ....there where some others too.
What I do remember is stores generally carried a "brand"
The hardware store only had remington.
Kmart and sears generally had winchester.
Everything else we bought was at gun shows, kittery and my dad had a spot in VT where the store had ammo by case only.
Always a "everything " type of store. It was in the south west corner???

When I was a kid, it was "The Fair", Spag's, Neverfail, or maybe in college, the Gun Room. I don't remember Sears or hardware stores having ammo, and I don't remember a Kmart anywhere at all, let alone having ammo.

Back
Top Bottom