.22LR MEGA THREAD!

Is anyone using the Paco Kelly Accurizer or anything similar? What are your findings? I find it hard to digest something like this costs more than $20, let alone more than $70! I've done expirements myself using a knife and a drill bit. Nothing formal, scientific, or consistent, but fun just the same. You could probably just use a file to flatten the point, if nothing else. I bet someone could make a little tool for under 20 bucks, using some existing machine tool part. The long and short of it is the thing will make a more consistent bullet tip and/or hollow or flat point.

Is anyone using the Paco Kelly Accurizer or anything similar? What are your findings? I find it hard to digest something like this costs more than $20, let alone more than $70! I've done expirements myself using a knife and a drill bit. Nothing formal, scientific, or consistent, but fun just the same. You could probably just use a file to flatten the point, if nothing else. I bet someone could make a little tool for under 20 bucks, using some existing machine tool part. The long and short of it is the thing will make a more consistent bullet tip and/or hollow or flat point.
I borrowed one from @1919FAN and have yet to test the rounds I’ve made.
I think a big benefit is the consistency and the ability to bump up the bullet diameter to better fit the bore for accuracy.
Not sure if any of that stuff really works. I’m going to mess around with it this week and make a couple boxes. Some bumped up and some made into the hollow points to see how they work.
In my experience all of the bulk cheap 22s are totally unreliable when it comes to expansion. All of the stingers/maxi mags I’ve shot have performed textbook every time.
So this should be cool to see if you can turn cheap ammo into good ammo just for the fun of it.

I have only heard of the tool myself. Never knew anyone to actually get one.
Im not found of "chambering" a round and then smacking it with a hammer. I know its hard to ignite rim fire with out a sharp blow to the rim.
Any how seems the "thought behind this tool was to try and uniform the bullet size for your lead/throat?
The few 22lr shooters I know that actually competed in small bore say your better off sorting rim thickness and if possible adjust your headspace for more consistent chambering.

... I think a big benefit is the consistency and the ability to bump up the bullet diameter to better fit the bore for accuracy.

... all of the bulk cheap 22s are totally unreliable when it comes to expansion. All of the stingers/maxi mags I’ve shot have performed textbook every time.
So this should be cool to see if you can turn cheap ammo into good ammo just for the fun of it.

The winning number would be if they offered the stingers/maxipads/Velocitors in bulk boxes at reduced prices.

The winning number would be if they offered the stingers/maxipads/Velocitors in bulk boxes at reduced prices.
Agreed. I’m going to melt up my ballistic gel and run some 22 tests this week at the range.
I have a handful of different types of 22 to run.
Maybe I can run the paco tool vs some standard rounds too. See if it works on target ammo or if you need the high velocity ammo to expand the hollow point or not

NNLk5WG.png

🐯

Agreed. I’m going to melt up my ballistic gel and run some 22 tests this week at the range.
I have a handful of different types of 22 to run.
Maybe I can run the paco tool vs some standard rounds too. See if it works on target ammo or if you need the high velocity ammo to expand the hollow point or not
My friend has some sort of gizmo that hollow 22lr
It definately deforms the clay blocks more than the round nose. As far as accuracy? Lets gust say it took him more than one shot to hit the 4" block of clay.
I think this what he has

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inEmsBcAwho

Yep. Get rid of those fancy plastic tray boxes and put them in a 50-round cardboard box and sell more-for-less...

Has anyone tried the CCI plastic coated .22lr, sold as 'clean'

109069.jpg

Do they really give less lead to clean out the barrel, and maybe less lead bits splattered around inside the action ?
Or maybe it's just a gimmick, I don't know.
They're 0.07/rd , compared to 0.06 for mini mags, (or 0.03 for bulk copper plated, at Target Sports USA)

109069.jpg

Do they really give less lead to clean out the barrel, and maybe less lead bits splattered around inside the action ?
They're 0.07/rd , compared to 0.06 for mini mags, (or 0.03 for bulk copper plated, at Target Sports USA)
I’m guessing they will be cleaner lead wise. Powder Fouling seems to always be present with 22s but powder coating and hi-tek coating are very well proven methods to keep leading out of your barrel. Not sure they’re worth it vs running a brush down the bore from time to time but I bet they are clean.

109069.jpg

I bought a 400 round container of the pink clean 22 ammo and have only shot 100 rounds or so. I couldn't notice a huge difference but I might need to shoot it more. It definitely doesn't leave a lot of lube/grease on the feedramp like CCI SV and other LRN bullets do.

So the Winchester’s were junk. Probably fired 60. The last round of almost every mag jammed up.
I thought it might be the mag but it didn’t happen with the golden bullets or the super X I put through the gun.
I also had to hit a couple of them a second time to light them off. I think I had 2 and a buddy had 1
So that’s not good in my book. I didn’t really accuracy test as I was just trying to get it on paper at 10 yards so that’s not saying much. I could cover the group with a nickel but that was pretty fast firing and again just trying to get it in paper and mess around checking function.
So I will keep these for the Marlin 39 and see how the do accuracy wise.
I will not be putting them through this gun again.

Some guns like some ammo some dont.
Lube on 22 serves a purpose . These coatings although keep lead to land contact down it does not really help like lube does.
If these coatings where at all “better” across the board you would see Tenex match with it years ago.
As far as lube goes if you have not shot 22lr many years ago and had the privilege to shoot Russian Junior ammo it was smothered in lube , even more on the steel cased stuff.
When I was really young it was not unusual to see old timers shooting off thier last boxes of 22 loaded with black powder. Plack powder was also ised in match ammo going into the late 40s

109069.jpg

I've never seen any leading in any of my 22 fire arms when running a steady diet of fed auto match or cci standard anyway. I guess if your having leading issues they may be worth a try.

I've never seen any leading in any of my 22 fire arms when running a steady diet of fed auto match or cci standard anyway. I guess if your having leading issues they may be worth a try.
leading is caused by poor fit , barrel or bullet or combo of each and lack of lube.

I was thinking there must be an easier/cheaper "gizmo" for reshaping the .22 bullets. Instead of something you mount on your reloading die, I was thinking something you just twist in a little thing like a pencil sharpener that does some minor reshaping/shaving. Not looking for competition, just a minor improvement.

I was thinking there must be an easier/cheaper "gizmo" for reshaping the .22 bullets. Instead of something you mount on your reloading die, I was thinking something you just twist in a little thing like a pencil sharpener that does some minor reshaping/shaving. Not looking for competition, just a minor improvement.

There were file dies. Basically picture a case gauge where the nose of the bullet stuck out a bit. You would then file the nose flat to make a wadcutter type nose.
I think the whack a mole or the press style dies are needed to bump up the diameter.

Not very scientific nor consistent. Was just having fun making "wad-cutters". Just wish they would make more consistent .22 bullets. How much more could it cost? It would be worth a little extra to get a little extra out of them from the factory. This is even more true in the hunting ones like Velocitors.

Not very scientific nor consistent. Was just having fun making "wad-cutters". Just wish they would make more consistent .22 bullets. How much more could it cost? It would be worth a little extra to get a little extra out of them from the factory. This is even more true in the hunting ones like Velocitors.
Yeah I’m all about fun. I don’t need perfect groups and .0005” consistency.
I’m not sure about the hunting ammo but you sure can get good 22 ammo but the price seems to climb way out of opportunity for the accuracy.
I guess you need to be shooting matches with 22s to make it worth it. Casual plinking with top end 22 seems silly.

No, the problem is there is 1) hunting ammo (expansion, penetration, whatever), and 2) target ammo (accurate); but none with both.
Yeah I’ve never looked into high accuracy hunting ammo. I guess it doesn’t exist then huh?
Is there a big need for it? Is the good hunting ammo no accurate enough to make head shots on small game within it’s killing range?
Also what type of game are you going after with the 22 LR?

Back when we used to do rat shoots at the dump my dad would X the 22shorts With a buck knife. It used to give the rats a bit more expansion.
Although i dont bother anymore the best way to try and get better accuracy from cheap ammo. Sort by rim thickness, bullet diam and COAL.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m all about fun. I don’t need perfect groups and .0005” consistency.
I’m not sure about the hunting ammo but you sure can get good 22 ammo but the price seems to climb way out of opportunity for the accuracy.
I guess you need to be shooting matches with 22s to make it worth it. Casual plinking with top end 22 seems silly.
Your ammo budget is definitely related to skills,equipment and expected end result.
My price point maxes out around $8-9 a box.
But CCI SV and aquilla extra are the bulk of my 22lr inventory

TS has Armscor case of 5,000 hollow points for $0.03 shipped. I don't even own 22lr and considering stocking these as barter during SHTF.

or buying a damn 22lr and shooting it [slap]

Haha. That's what I've been stacking. I make my kids empty all those tiny boxes into 50 cal cans

TS has Armscor case of 5,000 hollow points for $0.03 shipped. I don't even own 22lr and considering stocking these as barter during SHTF.

or buying a damn 22lr and shooting it [slap]
At .03 rd this is what stock pile plinking ammo is great for. If the shortage ever comes around you can at least go have some fun and have people g me up to you asking to sell a box or two at elevated prices you dont even have to make up yourself.

Back
Top Bottom