.30-.30 question

I guess I don't understand this. Is it that you don't hunt? Don't like lever action rifles?
The 30-30 lever action has some awesome attributes. I have heard it said that "more deer have been taken with the 30-30 than any other round." I don't know how accurate that statement is, but I suppose I would not be surprised if it was true. My first deer was taken with a Winchester 30-30
A 30-30 lever action rifle is very handy. It is very quick to shoulder and quick to cycle. The loading gate makes it quick and easy to top off and the round itself will drop any critter in North America.
I have also heard it said that a 30-30 lever action is a great "brush gun" well suited for the hardwood forest of the North East.
just don`t like it. 308 and 6.5 creed is all i like in that size and have rifles for that.
of getting next one - either a 6 creed (for hunt) or 6 dasher/gt (for prs). 30-30 is just not there, does not fit any need, 0 interest to be involved with.
and a same 0 interest - duh - for a 7.62x39. :)

Last edited:
Seems likely that the "conflicting information" was based on the fact that .308 bullets can be loaded for 30-30, i.e. in 30-30 brass. Hopefully nobody's out there saying you can buy a box of 308 ammunition and run it through a 30-30 lever-action rifle, even in single shot mode.

Congrats on the sweet score!

I have 3 lever action rifles in 30-30. 2 - Winchesters and a Marlin. They are a blast to shoot.
With a little looking you can probably find ammo for around .75 cents per round

I guess I don't understand this. Is it that you don't hunt? Don't like lever action rifles?
The 30-30 lever action has some awesome attributes. I have heard it said that "more deer have been taken with the 30-30 than any other round." I don't know how accurate that statement is, but I suppose I would not be surprised if it was true. My first deer was taken with a Winchester 30-30
A 30-30 lever action rifle is very handy. It is very quick to shoulder and quick to cycle. The loading gate makes it quick and easy to top off and the round itself will drop any critter in North America.
I have also heard it said that a 30-30 lever action is a great "brush gun" well suited for the hardwood forest of the North East.

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_123128754.jpg
    IMG_20220326_123128754.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220326_123032626_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220326_123032626_HDR.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 8
Not sure if serious.

Do you have a death wish? ........yes, I'm serious.

Posts like the OP's borderline pisses me off. He's been a member here for 10 frigging years and probably involved with guns for a similar amount of time and doesn't know the difference between a 30.30 and a .308 cartridge? Add to that, he is too lazy to look up an illustration of each to compare the differences.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????
I do have to admit, I'm a 'shooter', not a 'gun guy'. I lean new stuff about the various cartridges here all the time.

Pistol only, need to hit something at 100+ yards, I'm your dude. Hand me a rifle, and a target, generally I can hit it, multiple times a second. Need me to explain the minute differences between various weights of 30 caliber to load into a 308 and the powder needed to push it? Nope. Hell, if it's not name brand common, I probably don't know if it's good quality or not.

Help me out here.... I got lucky (I think) and scored 2 1976 Winchester 30-30 lever action guns. The problem is, everywhere I search, places are out of 30-30. I've read mixed opinions regarding weather I can use 308 in this gun. Does anyone know if I can shoot 308 out of my 30-30 lever action?

Thanks -Steve

You try Cabelas in Berlin? I may have seen some 30/30 at the Northboro Walmart. They had a surprising amount of rifle ammo there.

My first thought was to wonder if some of OP's confusion came from a reference to the .307 Winchester (which morphed into the .308 Winchester by the time he posed his question here). It's similar to the 30-30 in that it's 30 caliber, rimmed and chambered in the Model 94. But that's it, they are not interchangeable. However, the .307 Winchester wasn't created until 1982 so if the 1976 date of manufacture is correct, then my hypothesis loses some credence. The 30-30 might still be in the top 5 rifle cartridges factory loaded so there's some hope you'll find ammo. If OP genuinely had a .307 Winchester, just put it into the back of the safe, never to be seen again.

I was about to ask why there is a .30 carbine round
Developed for the M1 Carbine. As usual, it was nothing entirely new, being based on an obsolete rimmed parent cartridge. Why did they pick that, you ask? Dunno. .30 caliber on the brain? Looking back, maybe the M1 Carbine would have been even better with a higher velocity, smaller diameter bullet, but it would be decades before the military went in that direction. Besides, when it was developed, they hadn't thought it would be anybody's primary battle rifle.

Last edited:
I actually expected some, but not a total freak out! I was about to ask why there is a .30 carbine round, but stopped when the thread took a nose dive.
Well its good that you asked, maybe saved yourself some pain and suffering and learned something. Probably one reason for the freak out is the question you asked is like gun owner 101 stuff, with some exceptions you only use whats stamped on the barrel, thats something most gun owners learn very early on. Also 30-30 and 30WCF are the same thing but most modern guns I have seen are all stamped 30-30 WIN

Those are some sweet rifles BTW and Target Sports did have 30-30 a few days ago.

Pretty much any caliber with a "-" needs reloading.

If you buy any X-X and don't reload, you didn't get a good deal unless the gun was very cheap and you can resell at a higher cost.

If you buy any X-X and don't reload, you didn't get a good deal unless the gun was very cheap and you can resell at a higher cost.
I don't know why, but we're seeing new 1866 and 1873 lever guns being imported in some of these vintage calibers like 32-20 and 38-40. I can understand if these are being produced from barrels found in the back corners of the store room. If that's not the reason, I don't understand why.

You couldn't screw up even if you didn't know better because .308 is too fat to fit in a .30/30 chamber. As far as I know, the .30 carbine was designed for non-combat troops who normally carried a .45 pistol. An M1 carbine is about the size and weight of a Ruger 1022, has little recoil and is fun to shoot.

My 30-30 Marlin lever action is my favorite gun. I don’t hunt but I feel like a cowboy while I’m shooting it.

My in-laws in Vermont all swear by 30-30 for deer hunting. Nice rifles OP.

Ain't that the truth but I would also add most traditional lever gun cartridges as well, I haven't seen a box of factory 44WCF in at least three years. I passed on a mint 375 Winchester big bore just because of the ammo availability.

Ain't that the truth but I would also add most traditional lever gun cartridges as well, I haven't seen a box of factory 44WCF in at least three years. I passed on a mint 375 Winchester big bore just because of the ammo availability.
I agree.

I had no idea that 30-30 was hard to get as it's been quite a while since I went looking for some. I bought a 1/2 dozen boxes a few years back cause they were on sale. I think I've used 4 rounds out of those six boxes. I guess I'm glad I bought those because, though I didn't have much chance to use them up while I was in NH, the amount of four legged creatures with antlers (and those without) here in Missouri is astonishing. They will get used, plus, I can reload more if I need to.

I don't know why, but we're seeing new 1866 and 1873 lever guns being imported in some of these vintage calibers like 32-20 and 38-40. I can understand if these are being produced from barrels found in the back corners of the store room. If that's not the reason, I don't understand why.
I’m not sure but it feels like it started with the custom bolt action rifle makers a few years back. Now the lever guns are doing the same. It seems it’s trendy to have a 35 Whelen and other near extinct cartridges again.

My 30-30 Marlin lever action is my favorite gun. I don’t hunt but I feel like a cowboy while I’m shooting it.

My in-laws in Vermont all swear by 30-30 for deer hunting. Nice rifles OP.

I used to hunt deer with a guy who shot a 30-30. He asked me why I used a 30-06 for deer and I told him because I like my deer to drop dead right where I shoot them so I don't have to chase them through the woods like he did after shooting them with a 30-30. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom