• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.30-.30 question

Stevireno

NES Member
Help me out here.... I got lucky (I think) and scored 2 1976 Winchester 30-30 lever action guns. The problem is, everywhere I search, places are out of 30-30. I've read mixed opinions regarding weather I can use 308 in this gun. Does anyone know if I can shoot 308 out of my 30-30 lever action?

Thanks -Steve

Help me out here.... I got lucky (I think) and scored 2 1976 Winchester 30-30 lever action guns. The problem is, everywhere I search, places are out of 30-30. I've read mixed opinions regarding weather I can use 308 in this gun. Does anyone know if I can shoot 308 out of my 30-30 lever action?

Thanks -Steve
no you can't use .308

Maybe you’re confusing the reloading components. Hopefully ... all 30 cal are not equal.

Found a good summary

308 allow for a higher chamber pressure(20,000psi more) which can equate to higher muzzle velocities. And, the 30-30 is a rimmed cartridge versus the. 308 which is rimless. Oh, and they look completely different but use the same diameter bullet.

Where did you read you could do this?

Thanks -Steve
i see it available, a rather stupid expensive at $1.80pr but available.

obviously, a stuff like that just asks for a reloading bench. any reloading setup will be paid off quite fast when the ammo is at $2pr.

Thanks -Steve
Pictures would be excellent 👌

Okay, thank you. No 308 in my rifle...
They are both 30 caliber but that’s about the only similarities. Even the 30 caliber bullets are very different. 308 is generally a pointed bullet and 30-30 is round. The cases are different in that 308 is rimless. The biggest difference is the pressure produced by 308 is at least 20,000 psi more than 30-30. The real answer to your question about shooting 308 through a 30-30 is, probably only once and very likely inclusive of an ER visit.

Not sure if serious.

Do you have a death wish? ........yes, I'm serious.

Posts like the OP's borderline pisses me off. He's been a member here for 10 frigging years and probably involved with guns for a similar amount of time and doesn't know the difference between a 30.30 and a .308 cartridge? Add to that, he is too lazy to look up an illustration of each to compare the differences.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????

Last edited:
They are both 30 caliber but that’s about the only similarities. Even the 30 caliber bullets are very different. 308 is generally a pointed bullet and 30-30 is round. The cases are different in that 308 is rimless. The biggest difference is the pressure produced by 308 is at least 20,000 psi more than 30-30. The real answer to your question about shooting 308 through a 30-30 is, probably only once and very likely inclusive of an ER visit.
Thank you for an actual explanation instead of just insults and taunts......

Not sure if serious.

Posts like the OP's borderline pisses me off. He's been a member here for 10 frigging years and probably involved with guns for a similar amount of time and doesn't know the difference between a 30.30 and a .308 cartridge? Add to that, he is too lazy to look up an illustration of each to compare the differences.

You spent all that time looking me up and throwing insults? I haven't spent 10 years studying guns and ammo. This is my first experience with this type of round, I'm learning and wanted to ask a question. If it upsets you so much, move on, others have replied politely to someone new to this type of gun/ammo.

You spent all that time looking me up and throwing insults? I haven't spent 10 years studying guns and ammo. This is my first experience with this type of round, I'm learning and wanted to ask a question. If it upsets you so much, move on, others have replied politely to someone new to this type of gun/ammo.

Do you know why they print the caliber of ammo on the barrels of rifles?

From your post above "I've read mixed opinions regarding weather I can use 308 in this gun."

Let's start where you read such absurd opinions.

Then, let's go with why you haven't taken 60 seconds to pull up a picture of each of the calibers to notice the VAST differences in the two.

Not sure if serious.

There are probably 40 or more 30 caliber rifle cartridges. Rifle cartridges are pretty unique in the sense that they are similar and very different. Yes, I know a 10mm is 40 and a 9mm is 357 but even in those cases the names are very different and discernible. If you didn’t grow up around firearms and more narrowly rifles I could see how the dozens of 30 caliber rounds would be confusing. At least he had the sense to ask.

A .223 can be shot through a .556 chambered rifle, a 38 special can be shot through a 357...

I now understand a 30-30 is unique to a 30-30 rifle despite being the same caliber as others....

There are probably 40 or more 30 caliber rifle cartridges. Rifle cartridges are pretty unique in the sense that they are similar and very different. Yes, I know a 10mm is 40 and a 9mm is 357 but even in those cases the names are very different and discernible. If you didn’t grow up around firearms and more narrowly rifles I could see how the dozens of 30 caliber rounds would be confusing. At least he had the sense to ask.
I understand the concept of "There's no stupid questions"......but there's a limit to that when someone who's been involved with guns for 10 years simply wouldn't pull up a picture of the two calibers and look at the striking differences between the two.

Additionally, virtually none of those forty .30 caliber cartridges look alike.......all the way from 30 Tokarev to 30.06. The differences are readily apparent.

Its a stupid question to someone familiar with rifle cartridges.... I've been on the forum for 10 years, that doesn't make me an expert...

@Uzi2, yeah i get short with people also. in my time here, i've read some seriously dumb shit ammo & reloading questions. some that challange all logic, make me laugh and shake my head. but at least they get asked and another fatality is avoided. when i started reloading, there was no internet to take the easy way out, you had to read...or talk with an old timer next time at the club. you had to seek out the guy who wouldn't laugh and shake his head, but give a good concise answer. but i still enjoy a chuckle now and then. [laugh]

@Uzi2, yeah i get short with people also. in my time here, i've read some seriously dumb shit ammo & reloading questions. some that challange all logic, make me laugh and shake my head. but at least they get asked and another fatality is avoided. when i started reloading, there was no internet to take the easy way out, you had to read...or talk with an old timer next time at the club. you had to seek out the guy who wouldn't laugh and shake his head, but give a good concise answer. but i still enjoy a chuckle now and then. [laugh]
Reading is much easier now than it was back when there was no internet, with 100,000 plus entries on any subject one might type in the search.......and there's pictures galore.;)

@Stevireno nice to see that @JRT give you a good answer. I’m one of those old timers that thinks the only stupid question is the one that doesn’t get asked. I can see your confusion if you’ve only read about how the .30-30 and .308 use the same bullets. I believe that’s the true value of forums such as this, where questions can get asked and answered and the more esoteric ones (like is a 1911 any good) can be discussed. Oh, and to be honest you could never even get a .308 to chamber in a .30-30 since the .308 is longer (to the shoulder) and fatter than the .30-30.

The .308 (click to expand):
Cartridge_308.PNG
The .30-30 (click to expand):
30win1.png

ETA and here is a pic comparing the .30-30 to the .308 and the .30-06 (from left to right):
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I understand the concept of "There's no stupid questions"......but there's a limit to that when someone who's been involved with guns for 10 years simply wouldn't pull up a picture of the two calibers and look at the striking differences between the two.

Additionally, virtually none of those forty .30 caliber cartridges look alike.......all the way from 30 Tokarev to 30.06. The differences are readily apparent.
If you're gong to go apsh!t on a [admittedly basic] question, I'd use "Chamberings" instead of "calibers" as the book diameter of .30-30 bullets is .308.

Yes, OP asked a basic question. But, better he ask, than have an oopsie.

I've been involved with guns for significantly more than 10 years. I still learn stuff. Hell, last summer I found a cartridge in a chambering I'd never heard of, .401 WCF in the mag of a Winchester .30-30 lever gun.

If you're gong to go apsh!t on a [admittedly basic] question, I'd use "Chamberings" instead of "calibers" as the book diameter of .30-30 bullets is .308.

Yes, OP asked a basic question. But, better he ask, than have an oopsie.

I've been involved with guns for significantly more than 10 years. I still learn stuff. Hell, last summer I found a cartridge in a chambering I'd never heard of, .401 WCF in the mag of a Winchester .30-30 lever gun.

i never had a 30-30 rifle and never will - and also do not see what the fuss is about, it is just a question.
getting into more specific question - would a 30-30 rifle bolt even close on a .308 round? the size is quite different, would the 308 even fit into a chamber there? it does not seem like it should?

i never had a 30-30 rifle and never will - and also do not see what the fuss is about, it is just a question.
getting into more specific question - would a 30-30 rifle bolt even close on a .308 round? the size is quite different, would the 308 even fit into a chamber there? it does not seem like it should?

Compare and contrast.

Use a BFH?

1648314664187.png
1648314725055.png

I live by a basic principal: extremely few cartridges are interchangeable and can be fired through the same chamber. And even then there are pressure issues to consider (eg 223/5.56x45 and 308/7.62x51).

Thanks -Steve
Congrats on the sweet score!

I have 3 lever action rifles in 30-30. 2 - Winchesters and a Marlin. They are a blast to shoot.
With a little looking you can probably find ammo for around .75 cents per round

i never had a 30-30 rifle and never will
I guess I don't understand this. Is it that you don't hunt? Don't like lever action rifles?
The 30-30 lever action has some awesome attributes. I have heard it said that "more deer have been taken with the 30-30 than any other round." I don't know how accurate that statement is, but I suppose I would not be surprised if it was true. My first deer was taken with a Winchester 30-30
A 30-30 lever action rifle is very handy. It is very quick to shoulder and quick to cycle. The loading gate makes it quick and easy to top off and the round itself will drop any critter in North America.
I have also heard it said that a 30-30 lever action is a great "brush gun" well suited for the hardwood forest of the North East.

Back
Top Bottom