.30-.30 question

I used to hunt deer with a guy who shot a 30-30. He asked me why I used a 30-06 for deer and I told him because I like my deer to drop dead right where I shoot them so I don't have to chase them through the woods like he did after shooting them with a 30-30. :cool:
i still do not see a single realistic argument of why not to use .308 instead of both those hyphenated obsoletes. :)

Weight, have you ever walked through the woods with a 10 pound rifle? And 30-30 is plenty of cartridge for the short New England woods' shots, if you can shoot.
not true at all. KIMBER 84M MOUNTAIN ASCENT is claimed to be 4lb 13oz. and there is a whole bunch of cheaper 5.5-6lb hunting rigs out there in 308.

not true at all. KIMBER 84M MOUNTAIN ASCENT is claimed to be 4lb 13oz. and there is a whole bunch of cheaper 5.5-6lb hunting rigs out there in 308.

$2300 [rofl2] c'mon man. Get back on the Google. What .308 are you , specifically, carrying? Guaranteed 10lbs with a scope.

I built a .450 BM this past season for days I didn't want to use Winchester saddle ring carbine in bad weather, so i'm not against something with a little more pop. But the wood stock, short barrel and light weight really make that thing a joy in the woods.

Dude -when the fancy new-fangled rimless cartridges are used up in the zombie/ruskiepocalypse, the lever guns will rule. [shocked]
i have a feel at zombies time we will be using old good bows and arrows.
or, forgot a name of that fancy stuff - like a long stick with a rock at its end. a shusher? :)

i have a feel at zombies time we will be using old good bows and arrows.
or, forgot a name of that fancy stuff - like a long stick with a rock at its end. a shusher? :)
You can solve the .308 vs hyphenated cartridges war very simply (as I did). Two Garands, one in .30-06 and the other rechambered in .308. Best of both worlds. Come the apocalypse, the M1 will rule.

OLD school

6aha99.jpg

Dude -when the fancy new-fangled rimless cartridges are used up in the zombie/ruskiepocalypse, the lever guns will rule. [shocked]
I’d save the lever guns for when India tries to invade us. Served us pretty well the first time around!!

I used to hunt deer with a guy who shot a 30-30. He asked me why I used a 30-06 for deer and I told him because I like my deer to drop dead right where I shoot them so I don't have to chase them through the woods like he did after shooting them with a 30-30. :cool:
That is not my experience. Ammo has come a long way, but it used to be pretty common for 30-06 to pass right through a deer. 30-30 was known as the blunt/flat nose round and made a distinctive "thwack" when it landed. Under 200 yards the rounds are pretty darn close in terms of effectiveness. But it is pretty rare to be taking shots at deer at more than 200 yards in the east.
i still do not see a single realistic argument of why not to use .308 instead of both those hyphenated obsoletes. :)
30-30 has much less recoil, making it a good choice for hunters who lack experience or are older and recoil hurts. The rifle is generally lighter and easier to carry, and it handles more quickly, making follow up shots a easier. 30-30 is a great round for deer. It's a little light for Elk or Moose but fine for Whitetail

That is not my experience. Ammo has come a long way, but it used to be pretty common for 30-06 to pass right through a deer. 30-30 was known as the blunt/flat nose round and made a distinctive "thwack" when it landed. Under 200 yards the rounds are pretty darn close in terms of effectiveness. But it is pretty rare to be taking shots at deer at more than 200 yards in the east.

This was not in New England. It was out in the Mid West and taking a shot of 100 - 200 yards was not unusual. I also definitely followed a blood trail on a few to track them down after they ran.

Kind of joking because the only gun I had was a Springfield 1903a3 that my Dad gave me. Wasn't so much into guns back then. Pretty much only used them for hunting and most of that was with an old Mossberg 500A going after Pheasant and Quail on the edges of the corn fields.

If you're taking shots outside of 100 yards, you need to work on your stalking skills.

Said sarcastically - but that's how I hunt. I don't get to shoot, because I need to work on my stalking skills, but I hunt with an iron sighted 30-30 or bead sight shotgun.

Maybe until the ammo is gone. Then it will be machetes and cross bows.
primers will be gone for sure. bad design. it needs to be simpler, just to require powder in the brass and some other method to ignite it. nothing that would need a complex machinery.
flint rifles were fine, but slow. it has to be a compromise. brass will last, bullets can be melted and formed - powder can be done too, smokeless or black.
primers are a pickle.

realistically the absolute best thing is a good quality crossbow, but i do not know how durable they are if you will shoot it non stop. and once its steel cord raptures - where to get a replacement.

primers will be gone for sure. bad design. it needs to be simpler, just to require powder in the brass and some other method to ignite it. nothing that would need a complex machinery.
flint rifles were fine, but slow. it has to be a compromise. brass will last, bullets can be melted and formed - powder can be done too, smokeless or black.
primers are a pickle.

Flint locks and old school canons.

You can load and shoot most .308 bullets in the 30-30 case and in that rifle. Just make sure that they’re round, polymer tipped, or flat nose if you are going to be loading them into the magazine. You cannot shoot loaded 308 Winchester cartridges in your 30-30 chambered rifles.

If you're taking shots outside of 100 yards, you need to work on your stalking skills.

Said sarcastically - but that's how I hunt.
Back in the day Curt Gowdy's guests would bust a cap
on the bighorn voguing on the far side of the canyon without "stalking" it.
maxresdefault.jpg

ETA: Won't claim they were using a .30-30...jus' sayin'.

That's not the cartridge, you're just a much better shooter.

This was not in New England. It was out in the Mid West and taking a shot of 100 - 200 yards was not unusual. I also definitely followed a blood trail on a few to track them down after they ran.
I was actually thinking about the guys that set up a stand on the edge of a field that might give you a longer shot than 200 yards occasionally. Because you know how it goes, the deer will always walk out on the opposite side of the field. But if you are hunting in the woods in New England, you usually can't get a line of sight that far.

Way out west those guys are really stretching it out. Some of those guys are taking shots that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking unless I was starving. Beyond 500 yards even a slight breeze can push a bullet around a lot. It doesn't matter what you are shooting. But damn...I have to admit I admire the confidence and the balls it takes to take some of those shots. The video below doesn't show the misses, but some of these hunters are laying shit down at 900 yards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vUBHWfoaKo

But damn...I have to admit I admire the confidence and the balls it takes to take some of those shots.
I'm more thinking "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." I'm hearing Lord Farquaad in my head saying "Some of you may be maimed and die a slow, painful death, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to attempt this badass shot." Doubt they're going to upload anything like that, just the ones where it turned out well.

They don’t show you the misses or the gut shots or the shots in the ass. I don’t think it’s responsible at all to do that. The ones that hit make for a good YouTube video, I guess.

Nice shooting, no matter what you think about the ethics of the shot.

Those long range shots like that video would be ok for situations where you're simply culling the animals and don't care about retrieving the carcass. But I guess that's only ok for coyotes. I've had trouble finding a bird or rabbit I've shot at 10 - 15 FEET, there's no way I'd even bother trying to find a deer I shot at 500 yards, I'd never find it.

Back
Top Bottom