.300 Win Mag Shoulder (ouch)

Where does the .338 Lapua fit in terms of recoil in comparison to the .300 win mag, 50 cal Barrett and others?
This is something I want to find out, firsthand.
Thanks for the compliment. It takes a real man to admit it hurts, so anybody that does is OK by me.

There's far worse than a 300 Win Mag out there, and I've got a couple of them (458 Win Mauser Mark X and 338 Lapua Rem 700P).

338 Lapua is considerably more than the 300 Win Mag, but less than the 50 BMG.
Sounds like I need to attend more instructor shoots.

His 300 is one of the new lightweight ones. Basically plastic.
Fffffffffff that. I just bought a Savage 110 w/ a 26" barrel, the standard wood stock, and a brake. Need to throw some rings on it and see how it groups before I see whether it's going to be a full rebuild, or just minor tweaking. I haven't shot one before, so I'm interested to see how bad it really is. I've shot a lot of .30-06, which isn't unpleasant at all, and a Barrett .50 which was sufficiently tamed by the brake as to be tolerable. OTOH, I've shot quite a bit of 3.5" 12ga, which is decidedly unpleasant - It's still the only thing which I can't help but flinch when I know it's the next round.
Actually a 454 Casull is hard on the wrist not shoulder, same for the 480 Ruger and 500 S&W.
I do still want a full-sized, steel-framed 44/454/500. Short of the really ridiculous loads, I find both pretty easy to shoot.

On the other hand, I did shoot a S&W Airlight snub with +P carry loads and the heavy Buffalo Bore 180gr this weekend. While I didn't end up bleeding from the cylinder release as some of the other shooters did, I have positively ZERO desire to ever repeat the experience. Nothing else I've shot comes close to sucking as badly.

I had a Ruger#1 in .375 h&h. I didn't think it was that bad at all. A heavy push to be sure, but not painful.
I also had a trim little Husquvarna in 30-06. That thing was no joy to shoot. Way too snappy. .300 is a snappy hurt.
No doubt, snappy sucks. Both in pistol and rifle.

Saturday afternoon I put 26 rounds down range in my 270 at an old sand pit range a 3 minute atv ride behind my house. I stopped because I was hitting consistently, and well, why waste more 1 dollar rounds? No bruises.

Not trying to start a caliber war but why some people insist on shooting punishing calibers is beyond me. I enjoy shooting. Maybe a stable table and a shooting sled?

Actually a 454 Casull is hard on the wrist not shoulder, same for the 480 Ruger and 500 S&W.

Dean

i got some uncle mikes shoting gloves somewhere that significantly tame the .454 wrist damage when shooting. they help you from developing a wicked flinch after maybe the 4th round.

Last edited:
It's more than just weight I think. Check out the NULA (New Ulta Light Arms) rigs. that guy builds super light rifles that shoot hot magnums and people swear they aren't bad on recoil. Supposedly the shape of the stock transfers the recoil forces better or something.

His Model 28 shoots 338 wing mag and only weighs 6lbs.

I think those people lie... lol.

On the other hand, I did shoot a S&W Airlight snub with +P carry loads and the heavy Buffalo Bore 180gr this weekend. While I didn't end up bleeding from the cylinder release as some of the other shooters did, I have positively ZERO desire to ever repeat the experience. Nothing else I've shot comes close to sucking as badly.

It's not pleasant. Great to carry though, so it gets carried a lot, and shot just enough to keep me competent with it.

Recoil is often about the stock and how well the rifle fits you. I've shot some 30-06 and .308 rifles that were very painful and I've shot larger calibers that weren't bad at all.

Not trying to start a caliber war but why some people insist on shooting punishing calibers is beyond me. I enjoy shooting. Maybe a stable table and a shooting sled?

Valid comment. We do because we can. I've got big stuff that makes full sense for what I bought it for, and other big stuff that makes zero sense, but can be used for practical purposes.

All that said, my favorite rifle is actually a 22 long rifle, plus a few 22 caliber center fire bolt guns next.

A lot depends on what you plan on doing with it.

How does a 3" 12ga slug compare?

Totally different recoil impulse. The shotgun will be almost directly back, and relatively slow, though a lot of it. Yes, I have fired 3 inch slugs, from the bench, sighting in rifle sights on a Ruger Red Label O/U. Nasty recoil, too.

The 300 Mag is a faster impulse, with more barrel rise.

I think those people lie... lol.

It's actually a relative matter. One person's idea of heavy recoil varies from the next. My son, for instance, is very used to it, even said firing a 264 Win Mag from bags had little recoil. His wife taped it, he saw the tape, then realized it was more than he thought. Same with me, I manage firing the 264 from bags, the rifle jumps about 6" up.

Recoil is often about the stock and how well the rifle fits you. I've shot some 30-06 and .308 rifles that were very painful and I've shot larger calibers that weren't bad at all.

Absolutely right. It's mostly about weight and the stock.

I refer to it not as recoil, but perceived recoil. Because it's not how much it kicks, but how you feel it. With the right stock, it can be very manageable. With the wrong stock (and light), even smaller calibers have high perceived recoil. Plus holding it tight. Many rifles will hurt if you let them slap your shoulder.

I had the opportunity to shoot a 300 win mag and a Lapua 338 a couple of weeks ago at 1000 yard range. What a blast. Honestly my Remington 700 ( synthetic stock ) 30-06 kicked my ass WAY more then the other two! It is very light weight, that energy has to go somewhere. After 25 rounds I put my 30-06 back in the bag and continued shooting the other rifles. :)

Worst I ever shot was a 3.5" magnum 12 gauge slug... one handed. It was a Mossberg, and the damn sharp ass safety on the top of the receiver cut the hell out of my palm.

Worst I ever shot was a 3.5" magnum 12 gauge slug... one handed. It was a Mossberg, and the damn sharp ass safety on the top of the receiver cut the hell out of my palm.

Was alcohol involved? Did that with a 3" mag, shoved the muzzle into a woodchuck hole and plugged one ear with my left hand. The 500 ended about 30' down an embankment with a broken safety. Yes, alcohol was involved.

Back
Top Bottom