.380 Pocket Pistols

here we go some pic of popular .380 models

1.jpg

Sig_238__Colt_Mustang_DSCN1439.jpg

Last edited:
Best carry gun anytime any where Colt Mustang Pocketlite , I use 90 gr hollow points reload myself, 12 oz gun never know you are even carrying it, inside the pants leather Uncle Mike rig Comfortable and easy to get to in a hurry. I put a heaver recoil spring and a stainless steel guide rod work's like silk. Shoot it at least ones a month on the range just love this little gun.[wink]

The mustang pockelite is a really nice little gun. I have had one but carry it very little. I preferred the DOA of the LCP over the SA cocked and locked of the pocketlite for pocket carry. I think I have shot it once lol. Its probably one of the nicest looking guns I have. Stainless slide, and the sides of my frame are nickel plated.

I've owned and have carried the Keltec P32 or P3AT since they've been introduced years ago. I sold the .320 model after I got the .380. As a carry piece, it's the one that will always be with you because of the incredible ease of concealment. The new Ruger is virtually identical to the Keltec now, too, and handles virtually the same way. I've added the new Crimson Trace laser on mine, not for accuracy but as a deterrent if needed.

Here's the bottom line. None of these little pocket rockets is about accuracy unless you're going to use them under 25' or so. I don't care how good you are, if you think you can group six or seven shots at MOA at anything beyond 30', then you're a better man than I am and I'll freely admit it. These little pistols don't weigh anything at all. Some barely fill your hand. Add that to the fact that you're trying to control a verrrrrrrryyyy loooonnnng trigger pull when shooting for accuracy and you're going to find that really difficult if not impossible. Most have a trigger that's in the 8 pound range, too. So not only are you pulling a long trigger but a heavy one, too. But, all that being said, I'd rather have it than nothing at all. The .380 does the job in that regard. If you want to carry a .9mm or bigger, you'll be able to control longer shots but you're going to be trading off concealment and weight.

Of course, that's the safety for these pistols. There are no other safeties. IMHO they are the most ultimately safe pistols to carry because it's DAO. Racking the slide only puts a round in the chamber but never cocks the hammer. I carry mine with one in the chamber all the time. You could throw one off the empire state building and it won't go off. Nor will you shoot your balls off if by accident you grab the trigger. I've experimented with it a lot and can tell you that it's very very safe in your pocket because of that.

I've been training myself with its use to get to be accurate with it at about 21 -25'. That's where this pistol will shine. In a case where you're having to actually employ this pistol for it purpose: close quarter shooting, you'll hit what you're aiming at instinctively. Practice with pulling it from your pocket is crucial, however. I ALWAYS take my Keltec with me to the range no matter what else I'm shooting and ALWAYS go through that routine with at least two mags. It's cheap insurance and I want to develop a solid muscle memory should the time come when it earns its keep. One of the tricks is to pull the trigger quickly and decisively. Don't hold on a target as you slowly pull like you would wtih any other pistol. Eventually you'll get used to not flicking the muzzle left or right but will pull straight back landing your round where you're pointing. Forget aiming. The sights are useless but I don't care. As I said, it's an instictive shooter and if your hand is straight out, that's where your round will land. So, quick, decisive trigger pulls are the way to go. That goes for followup shots, too. I usually group them in threes but I'm still working on that.

The Crimson Trace laser is molded right into the trigger guard, adds no appreciable weight to the gun and also comes on easily when you wrap your hand around the pistol, regardless of what hand or stance you use. The intimidation factor occurs when a BG sees that bright red dot on their body and they may think twice about their attack. However, under those circumstances, a long and heavy trigger will not encumber you're decision to shoot but it will give you that split second pause about if you should. It's not a "race trigger" like I've got on my .45. It's designed with that purpose in mind.

Sorry for being so long. I am virtually never without my Keltec. It's always in a pants pocket as long as I have pants on with is most of the time. LOL. Swim suits to tuxedo, milk store or Church, makes no difference. That's where these little monsters really shine. No fumbling with safeties or worrying about trick triggers or anything else. Pull and shoot. That's what I practice.

Rome

I have a Walther PPKS in .380. I love it. I shoot it in pocket pistol class at steel plates and score real well. Mags are expensive but very durable. Single stack design conceals well in your pocket. And it does not bite as bad as the KelTecs. IMHO
Tank

Colt Government .380 Stainless Pocketlite! I highly suggest that if you see one in a shop, grab it! only made for 2 years, so hard to find. triple head shot, and double chest shot at 30' rapid fire with no problem. paper target of course!!!

AHH!!!! $795 for a .380 pocket pistol Seecamp? I heard they are well made, but I don't think I could shell out that kind of dough for something like that. I thought a seecamp in the 5's was rough enough!

1968 Walther PPK/s, wonderful little gun. Shoots straight and functions well. All I've done is replace the springs (recoil and mag). Very easy to carry. Conceals very well.

Anybody have one? Tell me what you have and what you like and dislike. I was thinking of picking up an LCP then I saw the Taurus 738. Now I see where S&W has come out with one with an integral laser. Too many guns, not enough time (or money).
Save the .380 is just an underpowered 9MM lectures. I want a .380 and I don't have to be rational.

Nice comparison of small guns here: http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

(I like the Rohrbaugh R9, but damn is it expensive.)

AHH!!!! $795 for a .380 pocket pistol Seecamp? I heard they are well made, but I don't think I could shell out that kind of dough for something like that. I thought a seecamp in the 5's was rough enough!

BigMike, I feel your pain! Speaking of which, you KNOW when you are shooting this little sucka! Steve

I think my summer carry (Colt Gov't .380in stainless) is the perfect combination of recoil handling weight,( a joy to shoot) size, (thin, and fairly small) accuracy, and reliability (never had a misfire, with factory or my re-loads).
On another note the Sig p238 is the size of a Colt Mustang (even takes the same mags) and according to a friend it shoots VERY well with factory or my re-loads, again a well made gun. I personally don't like the shorter grip frame, but that's just me...

I think my summer carry (Colt Gov't .380in stainless) is the perfect combination of recoil handling weight,( a joy to shoot) size, (thin, and fairly small) accuracy, and reliability (never had a misfire, with factory or my re-loads).
On another note the Sig p238 is the size of a Colt Mustang (even takes the same mags) and according to a friend it shoots VERY well with factory or my re-loads, again a well made gun. I personally don't like the shorter grip frame, but that's just me...

This is good to know. I only have one colt mustang mag and they are usually harder to come by. I was given a factory and 2 aftermarket mags when i bought the gun but the aftermarkets were junk. Maybe I will try the Sig mags.

This is good to know. I only have one colt mustang mag and they are usually harder to come by. I was given a factory and 2 aftermarket mags when i bought the gun but the aftermarkets were junk. Maybe I will try the Sig mags.

My buddy tried the Colt mag cause he couldn't get the Sig mags...LOL!! I'm sure they'll be available soon, if they're not already. Make sure you try before you buy...

Thanks for the info. I'd thought it was the same size as the Colt .380 Government Model. I stand corrected.

My buddy tried the Colt mag cause he couldn't get the Sig mags...LOL!! I'm sure they'll be available soon, if they're not already. Make sure you try before you buy...

I have couple of Colt Mustang's magazines that work just fine with my Sig P238 also i i got some Sig P238 original magazines online for $31.95... if you need some info on the website that selling them let me know.

here is the website info but looks like they are out of stock now:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-P238-magazines/

Last edited:
I own and carry a Beretta 85. It carries 8 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. It is a little thinner than the 84 series. I absolutely love this gun because I'm in love with my 92FS and its just a mini version of that. The downside is that it can be a little cumbersome. I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster along with a Beretta OWB black leather belt holster. The Beretta holster is f'n awesome. It fits perfect and didn't need any breaking in...

.380 is kind of hard to find though, especially if you want to take her to the range. I've managed to put 300 rounds through plus some carry rounds. I'm always looking to shoot it more and whenever I see 380 at walmart or any place for that matter I buy it.

FreeWillie and Tank,

What holsters do you guys use with the ppk/s? I have a 2'oclock from comptac which is nice, but a lil top-heavy(top end flops out and away from me). Maybe a proper gun belt would cure that. I was thinking of a pocket holster from pocketholsters.com but would appreciate any input before I buy one. (on any holster)

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom