.380 Pocket Pistols

basscatfrank

NES Member
Anybody have one? Tell me what you have and what you like and dislike. I was thinking of picking up an LCP then I saw the Taurus 738. Now I see where S&W has come out with one with an integral laser. Too many guns, not enough time (or money).
Save the .380 is just an underpowered 9MM lectures. I want a .380 and I don't have to be rational.

I have had the Kel-Tec P3AT for some time now. It is by far the easiest gun I own to carry. You have to be ok with the trade off in power for the added concealability and ease of carry though.
To me I'd rather have a .380 on me that is easy to carry and conceal all day than a .40 that I hate to carry and leave home out of inconvenience. You have to accept the fact that .380 ACP doesn't have nearly the stopping power available in .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .357 Magnum loads.

I've got a Sig P238 and a Ruger LCP.

If I ever had to use either one I'd be 1000X more comfortable having the Sig. The additional weight is a factor, but the addition of a 1911 style BOA and sights that you can actually use makes it worthwhile.

Just my .02

I have a sig P232 that I carry around, but will admit is it a little heavy, but a great shooter non the less.

Was very partial to the PPK but traded it off.....no regrets.

I have an LCP and P3at, both are excelent pistols that go absolutely everywhere. The P3at has 450+ trouble free rounds through it and is now carried by my father. I carry my LCP now and have 100 trouble free rounds through it. It is simple a little more rifined looking Kel-tec and I only hope that It proves to be as reliable. I managed to modify a Kel-tec pocket clip (a feature which I loved on my P3at) to fit my LCP and now im very happy with the pistol.

lcpclip2-1.jpg

lcpholster.jpg

I have Micro Desert Eagle and Sig 238 both of these guns i like allot. but for some reason i carry Micro Eagle more then Sig 238. cz its more smaller and usually works as a best backup.
both of these pistols very-very accurate.

I wanted a Ruger LCP but found a KelTec P3At first. I really like the KelTec. It has fired every time, and is remarkable accurate for the size. I've been shooting reloads without any issues.

FYI I also happened upon a KelTec P11 and bought it. It is a beast of a different color. Where the P3AT fits beautifully in my pocket, the P11 is somewhat larger and not as convenient. And the recoil on the P11 is much sharper. I have no issues shooting the P3AT, but not so with the P11. I think there is some wisdom sticking with a .380 in a pocket pistol form factor.

Best,

Rich

I only have experience with the KelTec P3AT. I carry a .45 but for a tiny pistol, it shot very well. I had to hold about 2 feet low left but was able to consistantly hit 6" steel plates at the machinegun range. The range is about 35 yards. Thats a long way for a pocket pistol. Better sights would be nice but probably not necessary for the distance that normal people would shoot it at. I think I'll try it at 100 yards.

The 232 is a fine gun, but too big to be called a pocket gun.

It is one of my favorites! Love shooting the 232. It is likely has the most natural aim of anything I shoot. But certainly no pocket pistol. However it does scream for a James Bond style shoulder holster!

:)

The thing about it, is that its not a range toy, its a carry gun, I put a few boxes of ammo through it, a handfull of carry loads and throw it in my pocket. Ive spent more money on .22s each year than I ever had on .380. Im not gonna choose a carry gun cause its cheap to bring to the range, I choose it for its practicality and effectiveness, and these little pistols are very practical and very effective.

I have no experience shooting it but I've handled the Kahr P380. It's as nice as a PM9 but smaller and it has real sights. It's also a recoil design, not blowback, which is pretty rare on .380s.

I have no experience shooting it but I've handled the Kahr P380. It's as nice as a PM9 but smaller and it has real sights. It's also a recoil design, not blowback, which is pretty rare on .380s.
I believe that the P238 and Colt Government Model 380 are also locked breech designs.

In the warmer months I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in a simple Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It absolutely dissapears in my Levi's front pocket. It was accurate, but I did throw a crimson trace laser on it. I think it enhances the ability of the handgun. For the winter months I do transition to a Kahr PM9. Bigger and prints more in my jeans pocket, so I'll typically carry it in my coat inside pocket.

Best carry gun anytime any where Colt Mustang Pocketlite , I use 90 gr hollow points reload myself, 12 oz gun never know you are even carrying it, inside the pants leather Uncle Mike rig Comfortable and easy to get to in a hurry. I put a heaver recoil spring and a stainless steel guide rod work's like silk. Shoot it at least ones a month on the range just love this little gun.[wink]

Attachments

• Colt Mustang Ultra Lite Right.jpg
    Colt Mustang Ultra Lite Right.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 69
mines Not a 380,but it comes in 380. The Seecamp, I love it! Picky on Ammo as you can only use certain Hollow points according to Seecamp but I have never tested anything other than whats recommended. Very well made. Can carry in almost any type of clothes. I got a wallet holster for it which also comes apart for a front pocket holster also.
P1010009.jpg

Last edited:
I only have experience with the KelTec P3AT. I carry a .45 but for a tiny pistol, it shot very well. I had to hold about 2 feet low left but was able to consistantly hit 6" steel plates at the machinegun range. The range is about 35 yards. Thats a long way for a pocket pistol. Better sights would be nice but probably not necessary for the distance that normal people would shoot it at. I think I'll try it at 100 yards.

I can only come to the conclusion that you are abnormal [wink]

*note I'd do the exact same thing! Just because a gun has a certain "range" doesn't mean I'm not gonna go a hell of a lot further out and see what I and the gun can do

My Kel-Tec P3AT hasn't left my pocket since I purchased it about 4 months ago. Super accurate and very reliable. I have the Crimson Trace laser on it as well.

I have two. Colt Mustang plus II. Carry cocked and locked and has good trigger pull. The other is a Walther PPKS and I wish they had spent more money on the trigger pull.
I have had trigger work done but still not good double action, OK single action. A friend bought one for his wife and she is not strong enough to chamber a round.

I've had an old Mustang for years. It works geat, very accurate and dependable. I carried it for many years until one day I was walking my dog and she got attacked by a much larger dog. I broke up the dogfight, but it made me have second thoughts about carrying a .380

I stepped up to a S&W .357 Mod 640, and carried that for about 5 years until I recently got a Kahr PM9.

I love the little pistols. Colt's, Kahr, J Frames, Beretta, even the clunky little LLama .380

Back
Top Bottom