.380; what's out there

I am thinking of a .380 for my wife.
None in the S&W or Browning catalog.
I see Walther and Sig's on the Four Seasons web page.
Is anything else available for a MA resident?
Thanks,
Bill

used Colt Mustang and Government model .380s are a good buy.

Browning BDAs are in MA, but not real common.

The Walther PPK is always a good choice.

SIG makes a nice .380, but only sells one, stainless steel version in MA.

I hear a lot of people who like Bersa guns, but I've never used one.

The Sig P232 and the PPK (and PPK/S) are about the only readily
availiable .380s, Beretta makes one as well but I forget
what the model number is. Other than that you're SOL unless
you find something off the list FTF/exempt or whatever.

If you're getting her a .380 cause she's recoil sensitive, you're
taking the wrong approach. IMO most .380s have WORSE
felt recoil than locked breech 9mm luger's in the same size class
do. They recoil "snappy" because of the crappy blowback style
actions most of them have. 9mm is more "lumpy" in comparison.

-Mike

I have a used Colt Mustang that I might be willing to part with. It is the smallest locked-breech (non-blowback) .380 made. This has significantly less felt recoil than a blowback model like the PPK. PM me if you're interested. I want $350 for it.

do. They recoil "snappy" because of the crappy blowback style
actions most of them have. 9mm is more "lumpy" in comparison.

-Mike

I agree completely on the recoil issue.

Additionally, I would suggest that you should also have her try racking the slide back on a .380 auto (PPK, Beretta 85, or SIG 230). You and she may be surprised how difficult it is. I went that route, found my wife (who is very fit and qualified with a 1911 while in the Army) could barely chamber a round.

We've now settled on a revolver in .38.

Chris

The SIG 232, in .380, is a really nice gun but not a lot for fun to shoot. Like drgrant said something in 9mm might be better. If she is uncomfortable with shooting a gun she will shoot it a lot less.

At the recent "Defensive Shooting Clinic" I brought a mid-sized 9mm instead of my Sig 232 because I didn't want to shoot 300-400 rounds from it in a single day. Even though we only shot about 100 rounds it would not have been a fun day with the Sig.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'll agree with the "snappy" felt recoil of, say, a PPK and the strong recoil spring, but you may want to bring your wife to the Pumpkin Shoot or a public range so that she can TRY the guns. You never know what someone else will like.

I took my 78 year old mother shooting, and she liked shooting the PPK in .380. Of course, it may have had something to do with shooting the same gun that 007 shot, but she went back to it after her first few shots out of it, so you never know.

Public ranges in MA include AFS in N. Attleboro, Boston Gun Range in Worcester, Bob's Tactical on the North Shore somewhere (Salisbury, I think?) and S&W in Springfield. There's also Manchester Firing Line up in NH by the airport.

do.
-Mike

Yes that was my idea. I guess I need a plan (B).

During our training class where we were able to handle and shoot a lot of different handguns; before shooting she was more interested in the simplicity of a revolver but after shooting liked a now discontinued S&W .22

I have a M41 and there are many .22's to choose from. So I was trying to come up with a center fire semi-auto as a next step. I don't want something the size of my thumb but on the small size of full size and something she might find fun to shoot.

Bill

One of the problem with a lot of the smaller semis is that they usually require as much force to cycle the slides as larger handguns, but have very limited surfaces one could grip. As a result they're often more difficult to operate than a larger handgun. In addition, as has been stated many times previously, make sure that it's something that fit's your wife's hands comfortably before you invest. While many people still try, nobody can judge how a gun will feel to another person.

Ken

I agree that the 380 might not be the caliber for your wife but it is obvioulsy up to her. If you decide to go that route I recall seeing bith a Browning 380 and Beretts 85 at Collectors not long ago. Good luck.

ppk/s is a good choice in my opinion. Yes, it is hard to rack the slide but it has a safety on it and you can easily leave a round in the pipe and keep the safety on. The only time she would have to rack the slide would be in case of jam. Sure it can happen, but not very likely and the first shot will certainly go off on a chambered cartridge.

I have a Tomcat stainless in 25 acp that I am planning to trade in on a PPK. The Tomcat is nice since it has the tip up barrel and allows a round to be put right in the barrel.

Not available in MA however.

Go to the Members Forum, click on the top sticky and sign up for the event there. I'll personally have a Sig 232, Walther PPK/S, and a Colt Mustang that you guys can try out.

I don't know if they're available in MA but Kel-tec makes a good .380 auto.I bought one for my wife and she loves it.It is very small will fit in pocket and yes a bit snappy but well worth the money($275).Great quality and OEM mags made by Mec-Gar...even came w/a inside holster.Sometimes I'll carry as a back-up or if running to the store and not 1 problem with it.Hope this helps.

I don't know if they're available in MA but Kel-tec makes a good .380 auto.
Nope, it's not "safe" enough for MA consumers. They haven't submitted 5 samples of each gun as a sacrifice to the gods of the EOPS to be destroyed destructively tested.

Our legistraitors loooooove us and don't want us to have any nasty, unsafe guns in our possession. [rolleyes] [/sarcasm]

Back
Top Bottom