3D printing

I picked up the MK4 kit so it's $300 less
interesting, i so far managed to make ender 3 v2 mongrel clone to work for me, so, kinda stopped looking.

from what people speak of - the prusa p1p seems to be the good one all around, but, like i said above - all the good it will give me will probably be fast speed, and, what do i need that speed for, really? if i would have to print 4-5 models a day, then, may be, but the way it is now - 2 slow bedslingers that work identically well but slow is cutting it for me fine.
and to qualify 'slow' - the slicer estimated time for the .32mm layer model is 4h6min, factual print time - 2h14min.

would be nice to print it in 30min instead, but, is it worth $800? not sure.

interesting, i so far managed to make ender 3 v2 mongrel clone to work for me, so, kinda stopped looking.

from what people speak of - the prusa p1p seems to be the good one all around, but, like i said above - all the good it will give me will probably be fast speed, and, what do i need that speed for, really? if i would have to print 4-5 models a day, then, may be, but the way it is now - 2 slow bedslingers that work identically well but slow is cutting it for me fine.
and to qualify 'slow' - the slicer estimated time for the .32mm layer model is 4h6min, factual print time - 2h14min.

would be nice to print it in 30min instead, but, is it worth $800? not sure.
For me the speed is needed.

I don't do it often, but I do some prototyping of parts from time to time.. I'm finishing up a bracket that you screw framing to for targets and then it slides right on silhouette stands. A single bracket is about 6 hrs. With the MK4 and a .6 nozzle I'll get that down to 2hrs. I have 6 prints before I was happy with the bracket. I did over 45hrs of prints over a week. With the MK4 I could have done them all in a single day

I'm getting ready to start designing a trigger for 10/22 stocks. Not used for shooting, just a mock up for demo stocks. And I'll probably be doing a lot of iterations of the different parts.

But even when I just pull parts off of thingieverse I would rather a 2hr print than a 6hr print

I'm not sure if anyone was ordering one or not, but it appears that Microcenter now has the Creality K1 in stock at their Cambridge location. It also appears they are carrying the Bambo labs X1 as well.
i am still waiting to see any evidence on reddit or elsewhere that any of those new printers can work and were successfully integrated to work with a standard klipper.
it is really not going to fit into my routine to use anything else now nor do i have any interest to use anything else - considering how well 2 existing machines i have work with it.

i am still waiting to see any evidence on reddit or elsewhere that any of those new printers can work and were successfully integrated to work with a standard klipper.
it is really not going to fit into my routine to use anything else now nor do i have any interest to use anything else - considering how well 2 existing machines i have work with it.

I know nothing about klipper, Honestly, I don't know the difference between Klipper, Marlin, reprap, and if there are others. I know enough to follow directions on how to use and maintain my printers. So I don't know the benefits really. The one thing I thought I knew about it was that Klipper had the benefit of making up for the older 8-bit boards, allowing them to run more steps. Whats the benefit seeing how 32bit boards are being built into the systems that are already capable of more instructions?

I was reading recently the FLSUN V400 is running klipper out of the box.

I really like the Bambo Labs machines, but I will never order one. You can't fix these machines at home by ordering or printing parts. I don't know what the aftermarket for them will look like in a few years, but it seems Bambo is going to keep everything very close to the vest. Plus you need to run their slicer which is linked to the cloud.

I have an MK4 on order, but I'm really digging the RatRig V-minion and V-Core. I ordered the MK4 cause I didn't want to deal with another DIY build. However, I've been doing a lot more printing lately, and the MK4 is still months out, so I've decided to start upgrading my D300VS Delta. I replaced the end stops, new touch panel coming in, and I've placed an order for a nylon effector mount for the E3D Revo Hemera XS. going to print some brace stiffeners so there's less rock. I was thinking I was going to sell the D300VS after the MK4 was delivered, but I think I might end up keeping it, seeing how I'm dumping more money into it. It will always be good for tall prints, I just won't be able to do it on the MK4.

I know nothing about klipper, Honestly, I don't know the difference between Klipper, Marlin, reprap, and if there are others. I know enough to follow directions on how to use and maintain my printers. So I don't know the benefits really
it is all about setting up pipeline and maintaining the 'factory'.

marlin is the firmware that runs inside of the printer itself. it is a printing engine, with no capabilities to maintain a library or do anything else at all - it only knows how to print and uses printers own mainboard and cpu to make all the decision of how to move the printing head. it was a huge limiting factor when those cpus were handicapped at 8 bit. it is a less of the limit now, as cpus were replaced with 32 bit models and got more power.
marlin has a decent community that supports the code base and improves it.

to maintain a library of models and have web interface to control the printer you need an external linux machine/box that can run octoprint - you will have a plugin for octoprint in the cure slicer - and can post model straight into the octoprint that will push it into the printer that is controlled by marlin

klipper takes it to a next level. accuracy and speed of printing even with 32bit CPUs is limited. klipper runs on a linux that is hosted on the external machine - your choice of what to use - like i use tv box, some your raspberry, or you can setup an intel/and real server to run multiple klippers on it -
so with klipper you essentially wipe out printer code completely and replace it with a klipper module that does nothing at all processing wise on the printer cpu - it only follows stream of external instructions that klipper generates on that poweful external cpu it uses.

so, getting to the point.

any commercial product today that is done by chinese uses a dumbed down stripped castrated snapshot of the community written marlin or klipper - now - with removed features and frozen in time for the time when they pulled the code. the community that supports and maintains both marlin and klipper makes huge leaps forward very fast compared to what bambu or creality can encapsulate into their firmwares.

with k1 it is espacially true, as the whole thing is pretty much a castrated combination of cura and klipper that creality locked and pushed a ton of adverts into. so, it is the reason behind of what i say - until someone finds a simple enough way to reuse their hardware witiout all of their software - it makes little sense to lock into that platform compared to what old platform can do.

the speed of evolution - how fast standard klipper gets new features and gets improved - it is really not worth doing anything else or deviate from it.

it is all about setting up pipeline and maintaining the 'factory'.

marlin is the firmware that runs inside of the printer itself. it is a printing engine, with no capabilities to maintain a library or do anything else at all - it only knows how to print and uses printers own mainboard and cpu to make all the decision of how to move the printing head. it was a huge limiting factor when those cpus were handicapped at 8 bit. it is a less of the limit now, as cpus were replaced with 32 bit models and got more power.
marlin has a decent community that supports the code base and improves it.

to maintain a library of models and have web interface to control the printer you need an external linux machine/box that can run octoprint - you will have a plugin for octoprint in the cure slicer - and can post model straight into the octoprint that will push it into the printer that is controlled by marlin

klipper takes it to a next level. accuracy and speed of printing even with 32bit CPUs is limited. klipper runs on a linux that is hosted on the external machine - your choice of what to use - like i use tv box, some your raspberry, or you can setup an intel/and real server to run multiple klippers on it -
so with klipper you essentially wipe out printer code completely and replace it with a klipper module that does nothing at all processing wise on the printer cpu - it only follows stream of external instructions that klipper generates on that poweful external cpu it uses.

so, getting to the point.

any commercial product today that is done by chinese uses a dumbed down stripped castrated snapshot of the community written marlin or klipper - now - with removed features and frozen in time for the time when they pulled the code. the community that supports and maintains both marlin and klipper makes huge leaps forward very fast compared to what bambu or creality can encapsulate into their firmwares.

with k1 it is espacially true, as the whole thing is pretty much a castrated combination of cura and klipper that creality locked and pushed a ton of adverts into. so, it is the reason behind of what i say - until someone finds a simple enough way to reuse their hardware witiout all of their software - it makes little sense to lock into that platform compared to what old platform can do.

the speed of evolution - how fast standard klipper gets new features and gets improved - it is really not worth doing anything else or deviate from it.
Interesting, thank you for that.

Interesting, thank you for that.
here is the practical point of klipper - as i turned it on just now to print more models that i sell - here is a snapshot of the machine control interface - you can see i can update it as more stuff got posted - so you can keep it always up to speed with recent features -
1688832452636.png

then next is the main dashboard where you see the printer status:

1688832634402.png

and then the library of files you maintain in there, with results of prints and durations - that is the most useful thing you really need it for:

1688832559994.png

Last edited:
cura slicer has a plugin for klipper as well, so you can push file straight into printer, or save it to local drive and use klipper interface to upload the file into it.
so far it all was rather great.

and, i would say, for me to have 2 absolutely identical slower machines - that produce identical results from the same file - is way better than 1 faster machine. and whole setup with box and all in all for such creality based machines now can be built on a $250 budget.

Last edited:
More boat stuff. Holder for the air horn. Probably double-sided tape it to the bulkhead liner. This was a fit prototype, real part will be 0.100" thick.

Normally I'd print this upright and stop the build an inch or so up and do a test fit. But had a part building until midnight so thinned it out for the test.

Thinking about what to do with my UPrint SE Plus. This was a $25,000 machine now selling used for a couple grand or less. You can only print ABS, and only use Stratasys materials, which are expensive. But we can print accurate parts up to 8”x8”x6” every time. Probably just keep it.

IMG_2298.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, it is a reality of how fast that industry evolves.
Started in the industry from 1989. Can remember first hearing about the process when I got a call from the model shop manager at Polaroid. “Have you heard of this process where they shine a laser onto photopolymer to make models? Had to go to a technical library and find a periodical on Stereolithography. A little later, learned about the FDM process, which started in a garage near Minneapolis. We started selling industrial machines in 1996 but they were not very competitive. Started selling the Stratasys Dimension line in 2002.

Once Stratasys and 3D Systems patents expired all sorts of hacker systems came out. Still haven’t found a machine with a heated build chamber and related features other than the MakerBot Method [Stratasys owns MakerBot). Stratasys still had a few patents that make it difficult to sell anything comparable. Last expired 2021.

Going to see when Stratasys plans to “End of Life” UPrint (stop supporting parts) and go from there: when you can buy a backup machine for $900 it may be worth keeping it.

Started in the industry from 1989. Can remember first hearing about the process when I got a call from the model shop manager at Polaroid. “Have you heard of this process where they shine a laser onto photopolymer to make models? Had to go to a technical library and find a periodical on Stereolithography. A little later, learned about the FDM process, which started in a garage near Minneapolis. We started selling industrial machines in 1996 but they were not very competitive. Started selling the Stratasys Dimension line in 2002.

Once Stratasys and 3D Systems patents expired all sorts of hacker systems came out. Still haven’t found a machine with a heated build chamber and related features other than the MakerBot Method [Stratasys owns MakerBot). Stratasys still had a few patents that make it difficult to sell anything comparable. Last expired 2021.

Going to see when Stratasys plans to “End of Life” UPrint (stop supporting parts) and go from there: when you can buy a backup machine for $900 it may be worth keeping it.

i probably will, i think, well... may be i will buy that new k1 max printer creality made - it is not anything i really need at all, and it is almost $900, but it seems to be getting a good rep so far.

seems like that fixed all the small issues original smaller k1 had. will see by the end of september if it will change or not, of what people say about it.

I know nothing about klipper, Honestly, I don't know the difference between Klipper, Marlin, reprap, and if there are others. I know enough to follow directions on how to use and maintain my printers. So I don't know the benefits really. The one thing I thought I knew about it was that Klipper had the benefit of making up for the older 8-bit boards, allowing them to run more steps. Whats the benefit seeing how 32bit boards are being built into the systems that are already capable of more instructions?

I was reading recently the FLSUN V400 is running klipper out of the box.

I really like the Bambo Labs machines, but I will never order one. You can't fix these machines at home by ordering or printing parts. I don't know what the aftermarket for them will look like in a few years, but it seems Bambo is going to keep everything very close to the vest. Plus you need to run their slicer which is linked to the cloud.

I have an MK4 on order, but I'm really digging the RatRig V-minion and V-Core. I ordered the MK4 cause I didn't want to deal with another DIY build. However, I've been doing a lot more printing lately, and the MK4 is still months out, so I've decided to start upgrading my D300VS Delta. I replaced the end stops, new touch panel coming in, and I've placed an order for a nylon effector mount for the E3D Revo Hemera XS. going to print some brace stiffeners so there's less rock. I was thinking I was going to sell the D300VS after the MK4 was delivered, but I think I might end up keeping it, seeing how I'm dumping more money into it. It will always be good for tall prints, I just won't be able to do it on the MK4.
Klipper separates the two jobs a printer needs to function
1 - User interface and g-code interpretation. Both of these functions need to be responsive but are not real time critical nor are they hardware dependent.
2 - direct hardware control and step timing. Hardware control is necessarily hardware dependent and step timing requires precise timing to maintain accuracy.

By separating the functions, the microcontroller can offload the asynchronous tasking and therefore can more precisely time the stepper pulses allowing faster speeds and better quality
The processor running the klipper interface can run pretty much all high level code describing how the different print functions map to hardware so updating and changing functionality is done with simple human readable scripting.

Can you guys recommend a 3D printer for school kids? Budget is about $1500, and it needs to survive daily use by kids, and probably teachers who have no idea how to use them. 😆

Five years ago, the "school friendly" printer option was the "EDU bundle" of the Dremel DigiLab 3D45. The enclosure protects the printer a bit and also partially protects poking fingers from accidental burns (you can open the door while it is running and can still hurt yourself, but this is true of nearly all such printers).

You might be able to get one cheap (e.g. from another school/district), and the company which acquired the Digilab product line is working to release mods and improved firmware.

I love my, Prusa printer but I have been hearing lots of good things about this printer at half the price.
Compare all 3D printers - Bambu Lab
My makerspace has a Bambu X1C, it has many of the same features and functionality as the 3D45, but still is not entirely "kid safe".

The printer itself is good, however the filament changer (AMS) is finicky at best, and you're locked into their proprietary cloud and slicer and parts.

as i have now fully functional k1 max printer - if anyone is interested to buy one of my bedslingers - modded ender 3 that is made into S1 copy, with t95 based klipper control box printing at 100mm/s - let me know in PM. i am in no rush to sell, but, realistically, 1 backup unit is enough.

so, this is an amazing nozzle, i am testing it right now on bedslingers, it raised flow to 40mm3/s, to be safe it does a .32 layer at 250mm/s line speed fine now.

top 43mm#/s, for a sustained max flow test - about 35mm3/s goes fine. a really really good stuff.
Amazon product ASIN B0CB6JM6Z1View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB6JM6Z1

an a-mazing shit. holy cow. a 0.28mm layer 300mm/s - works. would never extrude that before.

1693487059674.png

Last edited:
so, this is an amazing nozzle, i am testing it right now on bedslingers, it raised flow to 40mm3/s, to be safe it does a .32 layer at 250mm/s line speed fine now.

top 43mm#/s, for a sustained max flow test - about 35mm3/s goes fine. a really really good stuff.
Amazon product ASIN B0CB6JM6Z1View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB6JM6Z1

an a-mazing shit. holy cow. a 0.28mm layer 300mm/s - works. would never extrude that before.
I moved up to a 0.6 nozzle, mostly so I could print CF/GF "filled" filaments without clogging.

Depending on your printer and power supply, next comes upgrading the hotend when flow rate outruns the wattage of the heating element.

Back
Top Bottom