• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5cm help

Hornady is all large.

Did you look in the reloading section on here? Snipers hide has a large forum too with countless pages of 6.5cm data.

Thanks! I looked up the data under the powder I'm using. Staball 6.5. Also recommended large. I got thrown off because some reloading articles were recommending small rifle.

You know, if it's on the internet it has to be true 😎

I have the hornady reloading manual coming as well so that should be helpful. My books currently do not have the 6.5cm data.

I have 6.5 Creedmoor brass and it comes in both large and small primer. I've given away the small but have lots of large. I don't load the caliber.

I cannot find the info on hornady's sight regarding the primer size for their brass. I have seen recommendations for large and small rifle primers. Anyone reloading this brass and caliber? Thx Pete
Yes, you can reload with large or small.
Factory brass uses large.
But new brass, you can choose.

I use Peterson. I love that brass.
I reload using Large Rifle Primers.

Thanks! I looked up the data under the powder I'm using. Staball 6.5. Also recommended large. I got thrown off because some reloading articles were recommending small rifle.

You know, if it's on the internet it has to be true 😎

I have the hornady reloading manual coming as well so that should be helpful. My books currently do not have the 6.5cm data.
We like staball. Load near max, you want to fill the case.

Small primer is supposed to last longer with more aggressive loadings. Peterson makes very nice brass.

One day I messed up, I loaded 50 Peterson cases with 1 or 2 grains over max. The rifle felt like it was recoiling a bit harder, but accuracy wasn't horrible, I thought I was having a bad day.

Until I tried to reload it and in 15 out of 50 cases, the primer holes were too large.

That also explained why one primer fell off a case after I shot it.

I looked at my notes and realized what a mistake a made.

That taught me a lesson ... don't reload from memory.

Thanks again everyone.

Off topic but still reloading related, I got to play with my garmin xero today. That thing is so nice. Just place it on the table near the gun, turn it on and shoot. It will be with us anytime we go to the range.

I shot off 5 rounds of my recent 308 load before freezing to death (21 degrees plus a bit of a breeze). Gave me speeds, max, min, std dev and even kinetic energy. I had forgotten how much fun rifle reloading is.

Large primers are the norm. Some manufacturers(ex. Starline) produce small primers. Some shooters claimed small primers gave lower SD numbers, but it is very difficult to prove since the improvement was something like 10% lower SD. When your load gives you SD 10 or SD 9 is not that big a deal. In other words: use Large Primers

Large primers are the norm. Some manufacturers(ex. Starline) produce small primers. Some shooters claimed small primers gave lower SD numbers, but it is very difficult to prove since the improvement was something like 10% lower SD. When your load gives you SD 10 or SD 9 is not that big a deal. In other words: use Large Primers
I get 3 to 4 SD with LRP.

@chris_1001 witnessed those numbers when we were at the range with the chronograph.

Edit:

Last range session with the 6.5 a few weeks ago.
Rainy and cold day (if that matters).
Brass was reloaded 3 times without cleaning (I did clean the primer hole).
Loaded using the Match Master which is accurate to 0.02 grains.

SmartSelect_20240107_225003_LabRadar.jpg

Last edited:
I get 3 to 4 SD with LRP.
Pff! My 40 Creedmoor rifle shoots SD of 1 and a consistent 0.2 MOA grouping. Hornady has already contacted me to help them take 40 Creedmoor to the market, right after they release another PRC cartridge. Also, Navy seals are using it now.

What are you using for a bullet? I have taken two deer with the Hornady ELD-X and it worked well. Was also pretty accurate out to 500 yards (I didn’t shoot past 500 with it)
I use 143 ELD-X ... between a friend that also uses ELD-X and myself, we got 6 deer this year. Furthest was 350 yards, closest around 50 yards. The bullet performed great.

Back
Top Bottom