7.62X54R Split case in my Mosin

I have a Mosin M44 in unissued condition. I was out at the range with it for the first time when after about 5 strippers of surplus ammo I had a case split in towards the rim of the case and blow some powder back through the action. Was this just a faulty round or do I need to start looking at the rifle. Headspace? Chamber? Is this common?

Thanks in advance

Dan

P9187734.jpg

split case

They was not steel cases? If not, wrong restored for example. Nickel has gone. It was hapend to me also when to shoot old cartrindges. It was designet by Sako.
The hole was not horisontal but vertical. The headpeace is ok with Yuors gun. My language in English is not. Sorry. Kauko.

These were checked during the rearsenal process for headspace. You can get a field gauge and check the headspace if it makes you feel better but I myself think its the ammo.
Was it a tin of the Bulgarian stuff that recently came around? I've read reports on Parallax Bill's forum of some of it being bad.
On a related note... remember with Mosins its always good to check the firing pin protrusion using the tool in the cleaning kit.

to be honest i am not sure where it came from but it was 3 strippers wrapped in paper with twine holding it together. I too thought it was the ammo but i wanted a little reassurance from others. Thanks M4M

I picked up a couple hundred rounds of Privi & Hotshot Brass/Boxer because i am thinking about getting a press. Not as much for the 7.62X54R but more for the 7.5X54 for my two MAS the stuff is hard to come by localy and the Internet guys that do have it won't ship here even to a dealer.

I picked up a couple hundred rounds of Privi & Hotshot Brass/Boxer because i am thinking about getting a press. Not as much for the 7.62X54R but more for the 7.5X54 for my two MAS the stuff is hard to come by localy and the Internet guys that do have it won't ship here even to a dealer.

I'd be happy to shoot your ammo for you if you need the brass for reloading.[smile]

[rofl]Thanks for the offer but i think i can handle emptying them my self. do you know anyone local who might carry the french stuff?

[rofl]Thanks for the offer but i think i can handle emptying them my self. do you know anyone local who might carry the french stuff?

There have been a few for sale adds in the classifieds here but it doesn't come up often. Post a WTB add and you may get someone willing to sell a bunch.
There is always the Marlboro show this weekend.

I shall never to shoot surplus material. I use only my own loads with Lapua, Sako, Remington and Winchester cases, because I like my guns.

K.W. I take it you're in Finland. I'm sure there is a lot of information you could share with us regarding Finn Mosin Nagant rifles such as bore diameter of the Finn captured Mosins compared to standard Russian ones. The M39s and M91s have gained much popularity here in the past few years and more and more people are now buying them from importers.
Any chance you could share some pictures of your rifles?

I picked up four tins of Bulgarian light ball and some of the cases have some oxidation but most of it seems to be fine and shot fine at the car shoot. I did find one that had a rather deep and sharp indentation in the case so I am giving each one a cursory inspection before loading it.

Back
Top Bottom