80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

I am hung up at school chaperoning a school dance. Imaging that. Leave your daughters with those creepy shop teachers and drive away [grin]let me know how you make out

Looked at the machine. It has some issues. I'll be calling Wholesale Tool Co. again in the morning to talk with someone that should be able to help. Looks like it does use R8 collets, but none are there to include. The price for the machine is decent, considering how much work I think it needs. Basically, I'll have to take the table apart, clean it up, lubricate it up, and then put it back together again. Not too much backlash on the handles though, which is nice. The fine spindle depth adjustment basically doesn't work. Which is something I would have to address right away. IF that can be repaired, for not a lot of money, then I'll probably grab it. It is a large bastard, so it's going to take at least a few of us to get it in position. Since the head comes off, we'll probably need to move it in at least two pieces. Might need an engine hoist to get the head back on it. [shocked]

The machine should have a large screw hole in the top. Just get a good quality FORGED eye to thread in there - and lift with that.
I lifted my ~700 lb RF45 on the garage rafters with a 4x4 spanning several rafters.
Don't get under it - kinda scary [shocked]

Note that repair parts for some of these machines can be hard to find (even if listed in the parts diagrams).

Last edited:
Not sure if I'll be going after the drill/mill yet. Need to get some more info on it, such as if it's able to use R8 collets or not. Plus how to properly engage the fine spindle depth/movement. I do like how slow it turns, but I need the thing to run as close to properly as possible.

If I had another $600-$700 on hand, I'd be going after another mill that's currently listed.

At this point, we're using dropride's jig (with the spacers) with solid results. We might alter some of the crap jigs to be useful in the mill too.

Looking like I won't be getting the machine from Manchester now. Just too many unknown elements on it. More unknown due to the company that made it having gone out of business. So no spare parts available, and extremely little documentation/information on it. Not to mention how the documentation I have located (for something close to the model) shows parts that simply are not there. I could end up with a 400-500 pound hunk of scrap metal with this. Not to mention the motor takes a good 10-15 seconds to get up to speed once you turn it on.
There is the other mill (a current Grizzly model) available, but it's a bit out of my budget range.

Got a line on another setup. It's in MA, but looks like we could use it to do a second lower (at the same time). Depending on how much work it will be to get it into a useful condition.

ok ill plan accordingly.... No rush on the build. Just want to do it right. Thanks again for running this.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone is heading to Nashua from the Boston area I would love to carpool up there.

Is there a build party this weekend? I thought we were waiting for the correct jigs before we do another build.

It figures - I take a few days off and now I'm lost...[rofl]

Haha, me too. I'm back from FL now, but gone next weekend again. No rush to finish mine. Will wait until we get the jigs squared away. Hoping those TM one come in by the time I can do it. Not sure if I can make this weekend now, if I can, will at least come to help out.

Steve

Haha, me too. I'm back from FL now, but gone next weekend again. No rush to finish mine. Will wait until we get the jigs squared away. Hoping those TM one come in by the time I can do it. Not sure if I can make this weekend now, if I can, will at least come to help out.

Steve

With the rate things are going, I'd be shocked IF we see the TM jigs before end of June.

Heck, group buy time - everyone get refunds on the jigs - and get the better mill with the extra $$
Using a mill, you'd have no need at all for the jigs anyway.

I'd be happy if I sold the two polymer lowers I now have in the classified section. I'm also planning on posting up the Ruger Mark I, for sale. That won't be enough to get the other Grizzly mill, but it will let me get the small (mini) mill, some tooling, and maybe an upgraded table size. I'll also be looking to get DRO's on it (like Malodave has on his). Once I'm on a new job, I plan to save up to get a larger mill.

If I ordered the mill this coming week, I'd wager it would be in (and fully set up) before the jigs and/or anodized lowers arrive.

i was able to get my lower milled today. for those who plan to mill at golddiggies but haven't been there yet, let me tell you, these guys (golddiggie and malodave) have gone above and beyond......they have a great setup especially when one considers that golddiggie is basically allowing strangers into his home to break things (sorry about that chuck key....[laugh] ). golddiggie and malodave were both welcoming and helpful. their "side projects" are very interesting as well. [laugh]

Was nice finally meeting lancecolonel on Sunday.

I've heard back from the guy selling a mill in Manchester. He's come down to my initial offer on it. Just need to check it out in more detail before making a decision. I need to see if the spindle micro-feed works, or if it's busted. IF it works, then it could be worth getting. If not, then it could be a total PITA to get it working again. At least I know what I'll have with a new mini-mill. Plus, getting the mill from Manchester out of where it sits now, into the basement won't be easy. I also have to see IF the bench I have would even support it.

WOW, how big is this thing? If it is a bench top mill it should be able to sit on a bench. Are you planning on using your existing wooden bench? Any Photos?

Judging by similar sized bench-top models (currently available) it's somewhere in the 400-500# range (closer to 400 I hope). I wanted to use my existing wood bench for this, but need to figure out IF it can support that much weight without issue.

Picture:
View attachment 67164

For reference, the scale on the spindle travel goes up to 4".

Actually, talked with Duece about the mill. With the issues it has, it's not worth spending any amount on. It was made by a company back in the 80's, that's now defunct. So no spare parts to be had. With how the motor is slow to spin up, and the other issues, it would either be a long project to get close to 100% or be destined for the scrap yard.

Planning on ordering up one of the HF special mills by the end of the week. Just hope they actually get it here before too long.

Considering the issues you mentioned and costs involved, the age of the machine, the likelihood of finding and getting parts, I "might" offer to take it off their hands for nothing with the expectation, it's likely going to end up being sold off as scrap iron.

For what you're doing and the money involved, the best course IMO was to go new.

The other way you'd have a 20+ year old machine and be into it for the cost of the new machine

Good Luck!!! and drink beer :)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I took away from our conversation yesterday. Hope to be ordering up the mini-mill this week. Then it's just a matter of how long before it arrives.

As for the beer, had a couple pints last night. [smile] It's actually good for you (when there's no extra chemicals/processes applied, like filtering). Great source of B-complex to name just one benefit. Of course, it can also make people look better (sometimes takes a lot though)...

Beer good!!!

[grin]

Beer is one of those miracle beverages that makes the opposite sex more attractive, intelligent, funny, etc. It also boosts your immune system, and can render nasty water safe to drink (within reason).

As some of you already know, I have other beverages here that are of higher strength. Those range up to 18% currently, with the possibility of the 21% batch going to bottles relatively soon. The 25% target batch won't be in bottles for a couple/few more years. Going to be interesting sampling that one. [laugh]

Need to know if anyone is planning on coming over to process lowers tomorrow/Monday. If not, we're probably going to go to some of the supply stores to get additional items. Like 2 flute end mills. We did a test today using a 5/8" two flute (center cutting) mill. We were able to remove more material, faster, this way. We plan on timing the next lower processed to see what that does to the time frame. It did seem to go much faster, so we're probably looking at shaving at least 30 minutes off the time needed to machine the lower.

I also used one of the 1/4-28 bottoming taps on the grip screw hole (to allow use of the set screw for the cheap trigger job). Far easier to get the threads finished that way (compared with the normal tap).

Another thing that's planned is changing the DRO's over from battery powered to running from a wall wort (I know, I meant to spell it that way). That should eliminate any reading jumps due to low batteries and such.

Next set of people that come to process their lowers are going to benefit from all we've learned so far.

Back
Top Bottom