A military meme...

And they all deride the puddle police, because no one thinks the coasties are military, except coasties.

I was this close to joining the CG. If I'd wanted to go enlisted, I definitely would have joined.

The Coast Guard are probably pretty happy the Space Force exists, I'd say.

A friend of mine was an Army veteran of Guadalcanal.

He said to me once, "I never saw the Marines do anything unless there was a camera present."
The U.S. military would have benefitted greatly if, while bypassing one of the Pacific islands, they dropped off General Holland Smith USMC and General Douglas McArthur USA and left them there.

If you read the book “Shots Fired In Anger” by LTC George USAR, the Army and Marines got along just fine. It’s also how the USMC brass got over ruled and regular Marine grunts eventually got N1 Garands - which f***ed up the supply chain but saved a lot of lives.

The Cactus Air Force was by necessity the first-ever mixed command of USAC, USMC, and USN pilots and aircraft. Crazy mixture of aircraft, pilots and crews.

A friend of mine was an Army veteran of Guadalcanal.

He said to me once, "I never saw the Marines do anything unless there was a camera present."

The U.S. military would have benefitted greatly if, while bypassing one of the Pacific islands, they dropped off General Holland Smith USMC and General Douglas McArthur USA and left them there.

If you read the book “Shots Fired In Anger” by LTC George USAR, the Army and Marines got along just fine. It’s also how the USMC brass got over ruled and regular Marine grunts eventually got N1 Garands - which f***ed up the supply chain but saved a lot of lives.

The Cactus Air Force was by necessity the first-ever mixed command of USAC, USMC, and USN pilots and aircraft. Crazy mixture of aircraft, pilots and crews.
After a PM with another member and @garandman's post, I should clarify that my friend's comment to me was just busting ball after I told him that I had joined the Marines.

“Shots Fired In Anger” is a great book! The detailed descriptions of the Japanese weapons in the latter half was a little boring to me, but the book is a great source of information.

I left an operational unit where "weapons within arm's reach" was gospel and went to a training command that that directly supported operational units.

(At the training command we weren't issued weapons.)

The first time I was in the field with the training unit and one of their leaders shouted, "Weapons check!", I got this intense feeling of "Oh f***, where's my rifle?!"

I quickly came to me senses realizing that I didn't have a rifle to be accountable for, but for a brief moment the stress was real!

Good times!

Back
Top Bottom