A ton of AR’s

I know I’ll take flak for this but I don’t like colt ARs, or colt in general...other than a few nice old wheel guns. f*** colt, and the horse they rode in on.

Anything that reaches 50 years old is automatically C&R but if you live in Ma, you have a problem. Even though the C&R license is a federal license, some suppliers will not honor it if the holder lives in Ma.

Why are we on the doorstep? What happened 50 years ago that a bunch of them were made that year?

I think the idea is that the floodgates are beginning to open as more and more age into C&R eligibility. The earliest ones qualified a few years back and with each passing year more become eligible.

Actually you could have a modern rifle upper on it because that doesn't change its configuration as a rifle. But you couldn't for instance make it an SBR upper or change the stock to a telescoping/folding style if it came with a standard A2 style and have it be C&R eligible.

Its like with a Garand, you can put another Garand stock on it whether new/used/synthetic but you couldn't put some kind of tacticool stock and have it still C&R eligible. You could put a new Criterion barrel on it and still C&R.

Its original configuration, not original equipment.

I think it's a bit of a grey area, maybe intentional..... Yes, you're right, original equipment, so replacment of broken or worn out parts is GTG, such as a barrel.

Is a Colt SP1 still an SP1 without the A1 upper receiver, no forward assist, pencil barrel, triangle handguard, and A1 hider? IMO, without the A1 upper it's just an AR built on a pre-ban receiver - the collectability / curio aspect is no longer there.

I think it's a bit of a grey area, maybe intentional..... Yes, you're right, original equipment, so replacment of broken or worn out parts is GTG, such as a barrel.

Is a Colt SP1 still an SP1 without the A1 upper receiver, no forward assist, pencil barrel, triangle handguard, and A1 hider? IMO, without the A1 upper it's just an AR built on a pre-ban receiver - the collectability / curio aspect is no longer there.

Yeah I see your point but look at the case of a Garand that you change to 308 or some other caliber, that's still c&r. Even a "tanker" which never actually existed is still C&R. Many lightly sporterized rifles are also still C&R because they're still in a rifle configuration. I think the 'configuration' part is intended to prevent sending stripped/bare or barreled receivers.

I think an SP1 as a 223 caliber rifle is still an SP1 with a new 223 upper on it. What would be the difference if you simply replaced the triangles with a quad rail, or replaced a shot out barrel with an hbar while retaining the original upper? I think if you put say a belt fed receiver on it, then no its not a C&R anymore.

Doesn’t eligibility only matter at the time of transfer? In other words, get a 1971 AR in on your C&R and then do whatever you want to it?

I am new to ARs, just curious what did these Preban Colts go for prior to this pandemic year? I purchased an SP1 (my first AR) a few months for 2500. Believe it is from 1981. Since changed to a modern upper.

Just curious what the prices on these looked like 2 years ago for example. Thanks

I am new to ARs, just curious what did these Preban Colts go for prior to this pandemic year? I purchased an SP1 (my first AR) a few months for 2500. Believe it is from 1981. Since changed to a modern upper.

Just curious what the prices on these looked like 2 years ago for example. Thanks

Mine was right around $1500 a few years back...

Some SP1 eye candy with an SP2 in there for comparison.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ibSZr1R

Mine was right around $1500 a few years back...

Some SP1 eye candy with an SP2 in there for comparison.

Right before I moved from Mass to NH in 2014, I sold a very low mileage 1975 production SP1 for $1600, with the original box and 20 round magazine. I'm sure I could get more for it today, but I was buying a house and needed the cash at the time. I didn't really have any emotional attachment to it anyway, and I've since replaced it with a few other AR's I built from the group buy stripped lowers. The bright side is, it went to an NES member in Mass who got to keep it in Mass before the Healy ban.

Right before I moved from Mass to NH in 2014, I sold a very low mileage 1975 production SP1 for $1600, with the original box and 20 round magazine. I'm sure I could get more for it today, but I was buying a house and needed the cash at the time. I didn't really have any emotional attachment to it anyway, and I've since replaced it with a few other AR's I built from the group buy stripped lowers. The bright side is, it went to an NES member in Mass who got to keep it in Mass before the Healy ban.
Thank you,

Back
Top Bottom