• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aimpoint t1 with eotech g33 3x mag. Thoughts?

Hey all,

purchased my dream rig yesterday. LWRC M6IC SPR, 14.7 with a surefire comp/ can mount. Can't wait. Long story short, I got an unbelievable deal on the rifle and an aimpoint t1. I haven't yet decided whether to keep the aimpoint, or sell and go a different route. If I keep it, the most
cost effective option to allow for longer ranges is a magnifier, and the eotech g33 appears to be the most highly regarded. Curious to know if anyone runs this setup and how they like it.

I have already gone the acog route on a previous build, and while undoubtedly a great sight, I didn't love it.

any other suggestions are welcome, odds are I can unload the t1 for ~$600/650 and use the cash (plus the money not spent on a magnifier) and explore other options.

thanks in advance for any opinions.

Hey all,

purchased my dream rig yesterday. LWRC M6IC SPR, 14.7 with a surefire comp/ can mount. Can't wait. Long story short, I got an unbelievable deal on the rifle and an aimpoint t1. I haven't yet decided whether to keep the aimpoint, or sell and go a different route. If I keep it, the most
cost effective option to allow for longer ranges is a magnifier, and the eotech g33 appears to be the most highly regarded. Curious to know if anyone runs this setup and how they like it.

I have already gone the acog route on a previous build, and while undoubtedly a great sight, I didn't love it.

any other suggestions are welcome, odds are I can unload the t1 for ~$600/650 and use the cash (plus the money not spent on a magnifier) and explore other options.

thanks in advance for any opinions.

I've read over and over that going with a high quality 1-4x scope beats dot and magnifier when I was considering the same. I am very happy with my vortex viper pst 1-4. Slightly slower target acquisition maybe, but I find it well worth the trade off. Gratz on the gun btw, that's a nice stick.

Thanks! I'm stupid excited about it.

id considered a variable scope of course, but I've used em and I never quite got used the fidgeting and slower target acquisition, maybe it's time to give it another try. Thanks for the recommendation on vortex, typically hear only good things about them. On a previous rifle I had an eotech with a PA 3x mag. Hitting steel at 300 was child's play. Unfortunately other than classes or competition. Range work is rather limited to quick changes on steel between 50/300, or knocking down the plate racks.

Leupold came out with their d-Evo which seems like a great option, but the price tag is prohibitive at $1,800.

I've read over and over that going with a high quality 1-4x scope beats dot and magnifier when I was considering the same. I am very happy with my vortex viper pst 1-4. Slightly slower target acquisition maybe, but I find it well worth the trade off. Gratz on the gun btw, that's a nice stick.

Depends on your use. The big advantage of a red dot is that bullets go where the red dot indicates, irregardless of the dot's position in the optic. This means that you do not have to achieve nor maintain a proper cheek weld which speeds target acquisition. Scopes, even 1x scopes, have a much tighter eye pocket and can be slower especially in unusual shooting positions.

It's funny, I have this debate with each new rifle. I think what I may do is get a vortex pst 2.5-10, and put both the aimpoint and the vortex on qd mounts and switch as the situation dictates. I considered throwing the t1 in an offset, but then I'm adding a bit of weight, unorthodox technique which requires adjustment/practice, and the risk of just being too damned tacticool ;)

Depends on your use. The big advantage of a red dot is that bullets go where the red dot indicates, irregardless of the dot's position in the optic. This means that you do not have to achieve nor maintain a proper cheek weld which speeds target acquisition. Scopes, even 1x scopes, have a much tighter eye pocket and can be slower especially in unusual shooting positions.

Absolutely agree on that, especially at 4x, the pocket is quite small. I would say it depends on your vision as well. My vision is good, I have no problem following the black reticule around with some speed. I can certainly see where it could be problematic for some, and how the red dot would be much easier. I suppose an illuminated reticule could help with that as well though, the PST has it, but I never use it. Like anything, trade offs either way.

I've never done the red dot with magnifier thing, so I can't recall the downsides off hand, but I know they exist. Maybe someone will pipe up.

P.S. why does "reticle" show as a spelling error on here? I had to go with "reticule" to make the lines go away.

Honestly, this is my only ar15 now. I don't see the need for another unless I go for an sbr. Mostly will be used at the range, but I've always been the type to want to prepare best for every situation. I think I'll likely end up with a viper pst 2.5-10 (or nf, Leupold etc... Of the same magnification), and I'll experiment between using the t1 in an offset, or just switch between the two depending on the situation.

I think $500+ on a magnifier is a lot of money spent on a very limited improvement. Unless the rifle is purely for cq, which realistically isn't the case. Plus, you can still nail a plate well enough without a mag if you know you're zero... Seems like I'm already done with the mag idea, too late to change the thread title, which probably should have stated "there are so many optic options, wtf do I do!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom