AK build parties, anyone?

Reasons for wearing eye pro when grinding etc. 1. Metal shard removal is no fun when they numb your eyeball and drill out the surrounding area. 2. Head Xray needed prior to MRI to prevent blindness if any metal left in eye.

On another note... If one had a 100% OOW 7.62 receiver around, what would be a good parts kit to get?

I have built a couple of demilled Egyptian kits and one brand new Polish kit on OOW receivers and they all went together great.

Reasons for wearing eye pro when grinding etc. 1. Metal shard removal is no fun when they numb your eyeball and drill out the surrounding area. 2. Head Xray needed prior to MRI to prevent blindness if any metal left in eye.

On another note... If one had a 100% OOW 7.62 receiver around, what would be a good parts kit to get?

I just ordered myself a Hungarian AK63D kit from apex, which I plan on using with an OOW receiver:

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/4628

I'll let you know how everything looks when it gets here!

So are we going to try to solidify some sort of date to probably have all our parts by? I vote May. Gives everybody time to save, order, plan, and schedule. How does everybody else feel?

So are we going to try to solidify some sort of date to probably have all our parts by? I vote May. Gives everybody time to save, order, plan, and schedule. How does everybody else feel?

May would work for me, though having just ordered my parts kit I think it'll fall like an eternity away one I get that package! I'll throw out April as a possible contender but I'm happy either way.

Anyone got headspace gauges? If nobody else has them to bring I might try to see about finding some to buy, borrow, or steal.

I think the first thing that must be figured out is who can definitely host this, and what works for that person. I'm open to an April/May date. Either is fine. I just tossed out May, so others could get into it and ensure they had time to get all their parts in hand. I'll probably get my kit ordered by the end of February.

I also think that once we have a confirmed location and date, we should probably setup a new thread with all the event information contained in one initial post. That way everybody interested can get involved with a firm plan in place. Just my two cents.

Well so far, Ben and Bt74 have both offered to possibly be able to host. Unless somebody else wants to definitely step up and do it, those are the only options so far. I'd say Ben is more centrally located to everybody else. Wish I had more room - I'd host in a heartbeat if I did.

People need to agree on .
100% receiver
Populated / head spaced parts kit .

Trying to populate and make A 80% into a 100 not going to work for a party .

I would love to host but my shop is tiny and no real parking . Basically every and one other person can be in there .

I pinned a friend's muzzle break and it was cramped with him and his gf waiting lol.

The mess is mainly my dads and I've been trying to get it picked up. He needs to be on the hording show. If we clean up there's more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on date, I would be in. If I can't make it, and someone is near me, I will lend some tools.

I have the bolt cutter rivet tool, and some of the Toth tools. Also hand tools and a bench vise mounted on a portable bench. I also have headspace gages for 7.62 and 5.45.

I have a Bulgy '74 to build, but it is a virgin barrel. I may have it done by then anyway.

Oh, and my OOW receiver worked great for my Maadi build.

There are places that sell parts kits with barrels already populated. This is the last one that I built, except mine was a side folder. The photo does not show it, but the description does say that the barrel is headspaced and populated. I got this same kit from this vendor last year for $309. Unfortunately, the price has gone up by $70 and they stopped shipping parts kits to MA. This kit is made of brand new parts, not demilled.

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/polakpk5001.htm

If you want a populated and headspaced kit, they are out there. Try AK Builder. It's probably cheaper to buy a kit pre-populated than to buy a kit, buy a barrel, and pay a gunsmith.

Populating a barrel is not really that hard. I did my first one with a mallet and a chunk of pipe.

Yeah, I know they sell them pre-populated on ak-builder. Price goes up. I wouldn't have a gunsmith do the populating. I'd just borrow a press from a friend, and get to work haha. Just want to make sure I have everything set for riveting. Way I see it on ak-builder, if you can populate the barrel yourself, you're saving about $70. Then again, if you can't populate it yourself in 2 hours, maybe its not worth your time. To each their own I guess though.

I do have mallets and pipes... ;)

Yeah, I know they sell them pre-populated on ak-builder. Price goes up. I wouldn't have a gunsmith do the populating. I'd just borrow a press from a friend, and get to work haha. Just want to make sure I have everything set for riveting. Way I see it on ak-builder, if you can populate the barrel yourself, you're saving about $70. Then again, if you can't populate it yourself in 2 hours, maybe its not worth your time. To each their own I guess though.

I do have mallets and pipes... ;)

That's what I loved about Royal Tiger. The cost of a headspaced kit wasn't any more than the cost of a kit and a barrel. Their new shipping policy sucks, but if you know somebody in another state, it might be worth shipping to them.

That's what I loved about Royal Tiger. The cost of a headspaced kit wasn't any more than the cost of a kit and a barrel. Their new shipping policy sucks, but if you know somebody in another state, it might be worth shipping to them.
I might check that out... As I do know some free-staters ;) More of a decision on whether I'd rather stick with the Polish AK I planned on building, or go with 100% U.S. made. Either way - great info for everyone here.

Edit: Nevermind... Just checked the link. I thought you had said they were US made kits. But I am mistaken... Hmmmm... I hate shopping with the wife, but I could gun shop 24/7 haha

Last edited:
People need to agree on .
100% receiver
Populated / head spaced parts kit .

Trying to populate and make A 80% into a 100 not going to work for a party .

I would love to host but my shop is tiny and no real parking . Basically every and one other person can be in there .

I pinned a friend's muzzle break and it was cramped with him and his gf waiting lol.

The mess is mainly my dads and I've been trying to get it picked up. He needs to be on the hording show. If we clean up there's more room.

From the sounds of it, I'd say 100% receiver is going to be the way to go, personally I've got non populated barrel to bring to the party.

I liked being able to populate my barrel. I bought a finished receiver, so I wanted to do everything else on the build. Great experience, and it taught me a lot about that platform, and firearms in general.

I was just thinking depending on the amount of people . Populating every ones barrel would take a lot of time .
I could just have one person come over each Saturday for a month lol .

I don't mind populating the barrel myself beforehand, and then doing the rest as a group. I'm with dgrafton, in that I like the idea of an entire build. I'm technically inclined and hack everything I get my hands on. I too, like the education and experience that comes out of doing it yourself.

As for that offer Ben, that takes away from the "party" feel, but it sure would keep your alcohol cabinet stocked ;) I can understand your side, in that it'll take far too long to populate a dozen barrels in one day, and also to finish the build on all those guns afterwards. You obviously know what you're talking about.

Was anybody here at Inky's build party a couple years ago? Would be nice to know what the decisions were for that party, and how it went.

I was just thinking depending on the amount of people . Populating every ones barrel would take a lot of time .

Maybe those of us who have kits ready and waiting make efforts to do barrel population before the party, and then we'll have less of them to do when everyone gets together?

That is why I will do my Bulgy build on my own. Still in to hang/help out with everyone if my schedule allows.

Was anybody here at Inky's build party a couple years ago? Would be nice to know what the decisions were for that party, and how it went.

Ink's party was terrific. There were several reasons for that. The biggest thing was probably the facilities. We had a huge shop with multiple drill presses, multiple hydraulic presses, multiple sturdy benches with vices, multiple riveting jigs, drilling fixtures etc..

We kept the number of participants down to about a dozen. There were 3 of us there with many builds under our belts, each having to work with only a small group.

I forget how many rifles we completed that day, but it was a bunch. Probably the best build party that I have ever been a part of.

ETA; I found the original thread http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...s-cabin-fever-NES-AK-Build-Party-2013-is-FULL

Last edited:
I always had hopes there was another build party last spring. Was all set to buy a kit if there was... But sadly it never came to fruition.

Anyways, I sent Ink a PM to see if he might be interested in joining in on this one. Either way, I asked if he could share some advice to help ensure things might run smoothly. I'll let you guys know when/if I hear back from him.

Ink always replys and is always interested! Spare time for me is non existent at the moment, but you guys seem to be on the right track. de milled kits, populated barrels, 100% receivers. make the first build party simple so everyone has fun and finishes their stick. Dont forget trigger groups (double or single hook), retaining plates, etc.

I wish i was further along with my gun shop cuz i want to stock kits and tools.... still a little ways from that so far.

HI 762x39! :)

Ink always replys and is always interested! Spare time for me is non existent at the moment, but you guys seem to be on the right track. de milled kits, populated barrels, 100% receivers. make the first build party simple so everyone has fun and finishes their stick. Dont forget trigger groups (double or single hook), retaining plates, etc.

I wish i was further along with my gun shop cuz i want to stock kits and tools.... still a little ways from that so far.

Always replies is an understatement... Here's what Ink had to say...

"I can offer this (and feel free to pick my brain all you want)
give people 3-5 months notice to get kits and receivers
have extra rivet kits (they never come with all you need, and people will mess some up)
offer a date ahead of time to help people de-mil their kits (you are in for a loooong day if you de mil and build all at once)
never-seize works better than anything for re-installing barrels
NODAK receivers are very tough to drill and ream.... multiple solid carbide or cobalt bits are the order of the day
start small when drilling rivets and go from both ends when doing the long rivets on rear trunions
your jigs will take a little bit of a beating...
some long rivets benefit from a few thousandths taken off w a grinder to form a nice head
bolt cutter rivet tools... yeah everyone says they are great.... untill the jaws break on the first rivet
a lot of the proper tools from AK builder are not very expensive and make for easy work
have files and reamers
have small c clamps and vise grips, many hammers and punches
I built a couple of hefty wooden benches outa 4x4's and 2x12's for the builds i did
polish underfolder mechanisms are like putting together clockwork blindfolded
set up the day before and do a dry run
get ready for weird questions....

are you doing a strictly ak47 build or will there be amd65's, ak74's, etc etc etc....?
all tooling will need slight modifications, have a couple good grinders (bench, die, 4" stone)
BACON!
um..... oh, good extra portable lighting!!!
keep each jig in its own little case so things dont get mixed up. my first build, everyone watched me press out my barrel pin, then they did theirs, then press out the barrel, then them.... but i was learning as i went. the last one i did people could do multiple operations at once. Max (762x39 here on NES, SKS ray were a HUGE source of help for me)
Keep in mind location and liability when it comes to alcohol.
headspace gauges are a nice option.....
um... also, no live ammo!!
also.... when using a 20 ton press, you can press pins and tools through shit that it aint supposed to go through EASILY. AK's should come appart and go together with little to no effort. if it don't then somethings wrong.

If i think of anything else, ill drop you a line! HAVE FUN!!!! Its a lot of work, but a lot of fun."

Last edited:

'Sup Ink?

How goes the madness down there? When is the ofishull grand opening? I feel a road trip coming on.

Back
Top Bottom