AK parts kits and other goodies?

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've been looking through sale flyers at AK parts kits with the receiver torched and started wondering what the legality is of building an AK from one is here in Mass. I see ones like this Yugo Underfolder for $109.97

8ab0ff3c.jpg

Now I know a folding stock is a no no here in Mass on a rifle like this, unless its pre-ban, which most of these kits probably are. If so ther are full wood stock kits avaialble too, but then theres the muzzle break, etc. etc. all the "bad" stuff for Massachusetts rifles.

I know I can get a Romanian AK at a shop for a little more than what i'd pay in the kit, receiver, and parts, not to mention the time building it. But being a collector and tinkerer I think it would be fun to build one.
Plus You can always get a Suomi M31 parts kit in 9mm for $19.97 by buying a kit from the first few pages of the flyer. [smile]
Have no idea what id do with a Finn sub machine gun with the receiver cut up except maybe build a dummy gun but it'd look pretty cool and would make for a hell of a Simo Hayha collection along with my Finn Mosins.

So, does anyone know what guideline there are for tinkering with these kits, be it AKs or sub guns? I'd love to get a semi auto receiver built for a sub gun. Is that possible?

Doesn't matter if the parts kits are pre-ban or not, the receiver you'll have to buy will be post-ban (unless you can find a pre-ban receiver). So, an underfolder is a no-go. [frown]

I've been very much interested in building my own AK from scratch. I'm planning on ordering at least 2 stamped receivers (hopefully by the end of the month).

Have my parts list and vendors list all drawn up. I just hope none of them are scared or leery about shipping legal gun parts to MA.

Building it to be MA compliant shouldn't be a problem... just grind off any bayo lug and make sure any muzzle threads are permanently covered (silver soldered/welded with and end cap or muzzle brake).

The cost or savings of the project doesn't really concern me all that much.

I also like taking on these kind of projects just for the fun factor and learning experience.

I'm not familiar with the operation of a Suomi, but you could find yourself in some BATFE legal hot water with building a semi-auto version of a sub-gun. The barell would have to be at least 16" or have a muzzle extension welded on, and it can not fire from an open bolt.

Edited to add: Also, when building an AK from a parts kit, you can't have more than 10 imported parts in the rifle (must be 922r compliant)....

US made replacement parts are easy enough to find.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
-------------
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
---------------
(8) Trigger
-----------
(9) Hammer
-------------
(10) Disconnecter
-----------------
(11) Buttstock
---------------
(12) Pistol grip
----------------
(13) Forearm handguards
------------------------
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

The underlined parts are the most commonly available U.S. manufactured parts.

On a typical stamped receiver rifle you need to replace 5 parts with no muzzle attachment and 6 parts with a muzzle attachment.

On a typical milled recevier rifle you need to replace 4 parts with no muzzle attachment and 5 parts with a muzzle attachment, because there isn't a barrel trunion, it is part of the receiver.

When building an AK pistol, these regulations do not apply. You can not have a stock or forward pistol grip on a pistol.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80

Last edited:
Sheesh, judging from the BATF's qualifications, I might as well drive the nails through my wrists and feet myself and have someone prop my cross up while I rot away.
I see now why it makes sense for people to spend the extra $$$ on pre ban AKs rather than building for yourself. I'd save the cash on Excedrin buying pre ban rather than dealing with the retarded laws we have set for us.

I've done a 1911, AR, and FAL. The FAL (L1A1) is one of my favorites. I figure that it cost a lot more than just buying a Century FAL, but mine works.
I've thought about the AK build but am put off by the need to press the barrel into the trunion and the whole riveting thing. I think that with the current price of kits (no more barrels are to be imported), and the still low retail prices of the Romanian AK's, it's even harder to justify.

jhrosier said:
I've done a 1911, AR, and FAL. The FAL (L1A1) is one of my favorites. I figure that it cost a lot more than just buying a Century FAL, but mine works.
I've thought about the AK build but am put off by the need to press the barrel into the trunion and the whole riveting thing. I think that with the current price of kits (no more barrels are to be imported), and the still low retail prices of the Romanian AK's, it's even harder to justify.

I'm almost 100% certain that the barrel importation order has been rescinded (I'll have to double-check on that).

There are work arounds to pressing the barrel in. If it comes down to it, I have co-workers who have access to some of the tools I'd need.

My only concern would be setting the headspacing properly.

BTW... now that you mention it, an FAL build is something else lurking back in my ever growing list of things to do. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom