• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK/SKS questions

My Russian wife hates vodka. Everyone has tastes
Eating vodka properly is not a pleasure- it is a skill. Your whole career depends upon it. Same in most Asian countries as well, anyway.
Most women do hate vodka, but drink it all the same. I also do not drink it anymore- whole body shakes just from the smell of it. But we use it for cocktails.

LOL jeezus- who runs around the house with a M1 for home defense? Honestly, it's Glock 20's here.

You won't have the f-ing time to screw around with all that crap in a home defense scenario. Whatever you grab needs to be instantly ready to point and go bang. In my first apartment I had 3 thugs forcing entry and by their 3rd kick the door was coming open. A 357 worked just fine to instantly change their minds. A SBR AK would be great, but I would not plan on having time to play with night vision or all that crap.

...you realize that modern optics can stay on indefinitely until you change the battery, right? And the batteries last for years? This isn't 1980.

Seriously. Look at modern fighting rifles. From any country. None of them are totally featureless. I'm not going to waste my time tonight explaining all this because you can see for yourself.

Eating vodka properly is not a pleasure- it is a skill. Your whole career depends upon it. Same in most Asian countries as well, anyway.
Most women do hate vodka, but drink it all the same. I also do not drink it anymore- whole body shakes just from the smell of it. But we use it for cocktails.
No I meant to say she can drink it like it's her job. And can make me look like an amateur. But if she has a choice. She will pick something else. Also in Russia. Woman is not a difference

Turn the lights off in your house, grab your M1 Garand, and try and see a target in the room.

Then try it with either night vision or a light.

Come back and tell us the results.

Literally no one in 2022 who actually uses these guns uses them with zero accessories. This isn't WW2, or WW1, or Korea. And if you asked those guys back then whether they wanted the ability to see and shoot targets either in the dark or further away, they'd all probably say yes.

Russian SOF equipment captured by IS in Syria - Armament Research Services (ARES)

This is what guns look like in the modern day. Optics. Silencer. Rails. Collapsible stock. Lights.

If you're dead serious that adding a light and an optic to a rifle is "messing with something that works fine", thus "begging for problems", then I want you to go tell that to everyone taking Ridgeline's night classes this year. Go there and tell us how that works out for you.
In my own house, at night, I don't need night sights or anything else. It's never truly dark in the suburbs, and once your eyes have adjusted to the dark you're fine. Plus looking thru night sights in the restricted confines of my own home would be very limiting. Outdoors or out of my own home, different story.
I spent all five of my college years (and my last year of high school) as a security guard, mostly at night, and mostly in forty story office towers in Downtown Boston. I, and I assume anyone else who did this job, learned to not use a flashlight as it wrecks your night vision. I would do a tour of the entire forty stories, including basement and sub-basement, in the dark. Yeah there were light up exit signs at the stairwells etc.
I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for night sights, but not needed in my home as long as my eyes haven't been exposed to light.

Come on now boys. I asked for advice.
Not to watch a dick measuring contest!
You didn't really mention your purpose for the rifle. A decent SKS makes a nice range gun and a Yugo would scratch that x39 itch for reasonable cost. As someone else already mentioned, AK's are overpriced right now. I'd wait for that to settle down and get an SKS plus a LOT of ammo.

You didn't really mention your purpose for the rifle. A decent SKS makes a nice range gun and a Yugo would scratch that x39 itch for reasonable cost. As someone else already mentioned, AK's are overpriced right now. I'd wait for that to settle down and get an SKS plus a LOT of ammo.
My weiner is bigger. So be quiet. [rofl]

What do people mean when they say something is junk? To me something being junk means it does not perform its intended purpose well or poorly built. I get not liking a particular gun but calling it junk because you don't like it does zero to help the person asking for help. To answer the question i think its inevitable that regardless of which you pick, you will undoubtedly buy the other any way. Both are very fun to shoot. You can't go wrong either way.

Not everyone is middle-aged suburban divorced dad. Some of us live in the woods. Where there are no street lights. Or cops.

I’m in the suburbs and still have/want a light on my HD gun. Lights and cops or not, dark is dark and 4 minutes is still an eternity when someone’s in your house.
As they say, ‘no one is coming’ but I also don’t want to shoot a family member. Positive target ID and what not. But to each their own? I guess?

I’m in the suburbs and still have/want a light on my HD gun. Lights and cops or not, dark is dark and 4 minutes is still an eternity when someone’s in your house.
As they say, ‘no one is coming’ but I also don’t want to shoot a family member. Positive target ID and what not. But to each their own? I guess?
I wouldn't use a gun inside my own house, so it's irrelevant. I live in a decent neighborhood, in a decent town, in one of the safest states in the country.
I don't even lock my doors, except when my kids are here. Someone wants to come into my house, come on in. My guns are for civil order breakdowns, that type of thing.

It's theoretically possible there could arise a night-time home defense situation where I could use a gun, but that is very unlikely. As I said, I lock my house when my kids are here.

Check out the video of Boston Cop Sean the Cannon Gannon fighting Kimbo Slice. That guy doesn't need a gun for night-time home defense. I mean that seriously. Watch the video. If you think someone with a gun is stopping a guy like that in his own home at night I disagree. The quarters in most homes are tight, and even pistols will have their utility limited. You make a good point about target acquisition. I would rather not even worry about it. Now I am not Sean Gannon, but I fear little in my own house.
This might all.chamge when I get a little bit older.

I wouldn't use a gun inside my own house, so it's irrelevant. I live in a decent neighborhood, in a decent town, in one of the safest states in the country.
I don't even lock my doors, except when my kids are here. Someone wants to come into my house, come on in. My guns are for civil order breakdowns, that type of thing.

It's theoretically possible there could arise a night-time home defense situation where I could use a gun, but that is very unlikely. As I said, I lock my house when my kids are here.

Check out the video of Boston Cop Sean the Cannon Gannon fighting Kimbo Slice. That guy doesn't need a gun for night-time home defense. I mean that seriously. Watch the video. If you think someone with a gun is stopping a guy like that in his own home at night I disagree. The quarters in most homes are tight, and even pistols will have their utility limited. You make a good point about target acquisition. I would rather not even worry about it. Now I am not Sean Gannon, but I fear little in my own house.

Exactly! When you really need a gun, the current laws don't let you have the good effective stuff. Pistols are a last resort weapon and in your home, difficult to defend yourself with against several determined attackers. Long guns are unwieldy, especially since you gotta jump thru hoops to have something shorter than unwieldy. Why can't we have P90s and MP7s to defend our homes and livelihoods? It's good enough for the SS, should be good enough for everyone, right?

...you realize that modern optics can stay on indefinitely until you change the battery, right? And the batteries last for years? This isn't 1980.

Seriously. Look at modern fighting rifles. From any country. None of them are totally featureless. I'm not going to waste my time tonight explaining all this because you can see for yourself.
Lol, you serious?

I would saw 50% of NES would not spend the money on a Trijicon or Aimpoint when they could have a pinty for $5.

You are correct. As you get older, your views will change. After my knee surgery, which was a complete replacement, I now incorporate a firearm into my home defense planning.
468394-84833e43d5c8ffc4d0fe5c129bba5ade.png

This is basically gun control think.

I think it's all in how you train.

Yes, there are modern militaries that hang a lot of shit off their ARs, and they've got the time and ability to train effectively for all that stuff. Good for them; their capabilities speak for themselves. We don't all have that kind of time or money.

Optics and add-ons are not a part of my gunning vocabulary. It's not a moral stance; I'm no crusader. But it's just not a rabbit hole I want to go down. So I train NOT to use that stuff, and hopefully when the rubber meets the road I'll be able to save my own life. I certainly don't feel the need for high-speed doodads in my own home; I've got lightswitches, good fields of fire, and excellent cover and concealment that make me very comfortable with my chances in a home-invasion scenario from either door, with a host of different firearms I've got nearby.

Because I've trained for it, see, and the home invaders haven't.

Who are we fooling, though? The odds against ever needing this sort of plan are astronomical. Nice to have and not need, though.

I think it's all in how you train.

Yes, there are modern militaries that hang a lot of shit off their ARs, and they've got the time and ability to train effectively for all that stuff. Good for them; their capabilities speak for themselves. We don't all have that kind of time or money.

Optics and add-ons are not a part of my gunning vocabulary. It's not a moral stance; I'm no crusader. But it's just not a rabbit hole I want to go down. So I train NOT to use that stuff, and hopefully when the rubber meets the road I'll be able to save my own life. I certainly don't feel the need for high-speed doodads in my own home; I've got lightswitches, good fields of fire, and excellent cover and concealment that make me very comfortable with my chances in a home-invasion scenario from either door, with a host of different firearms I've got nearby.

Because I've trained for it, see, and the home invaders haven't.

Who are we fooling, though? The odds against ever needing this sort of plan are astronomical. Nice to have and not need, though.

The point I was trying to make on the last page was that milled guns have less options for furniture. That makes them less versatile. Then this thread went f*cking retarded for a second time.

Just lock this shit down, the guy's not coming back to deal with this clownshow.

Pics or it didn’t happen!

Both of you send the pics to @MarlboroughMan for his opinion on the matter ;)

Be sure to ask him how Brandon is doing?
Reminds me of a frat prank I may or may not have been involved in. Someone left a camera unattended and...

Turns out the camera belonged to someone's mother, but she was a mom like Stiffler's mom and the pics came back to the frat house and ended up on the bulletin board as a contest. Head's up to @dgrantdoherty , the winner (weiner?) is a NESer.

[rofl]

Obligatory pic of Stiffler's mom for anyone not knowing the reference. I'd bet money she kept copies for herself.

1641385821728.jpeg

The point I was trying to make on the last page was that milled guns have less options for furniture. That makes them less versatile. Then this thread went f*cking retarded for a second time.

Just lock this shit down, the guy's not coming back to deal with this clownshow.
Of course it's a shit show. Calling folks fat old middle aged guys running around their house with a M1 Garand was exactly where it went retarded, and who did that? OP has many choices for quality SKS's and AK's, and that includes milled receiver AK's which would be an excellent choice he should not overlook because of lack of Barbie dress up accessories. VZ Barbie etc. is fine just the way she is, and if it is dark in the house there is always this night vision option:

1641386452032.jpeg

LOL, all in good fun to catch some shit and send it back.

So, what do you for home defense?

Hard blocks?

OP, get an AK or Yugo SKS. They are both good rifles. I am not sure why you are comparing them, it is like comparing an AR to an M1.

I think an SKS is more accurate. But that is personal opinion.

I'm still here and following along.
I'm familiar with both the AK and SKS as platforms.
My questions are geared more to how they're made. What is better stamped or milled and why?
I've also heard that some countries produce better guns over some other countries.
If I'm going to spend stupid money on something I want to make the best choice I can.
My take away so far is that stamped is better for add ons. But milled might be more rigid and maybe last longer?
And that no one can agree with what countries are better over others except that those made or assembled in the U.S. are not built as well.
Am I right so far?

I'm still here and following along.
I'm familiar with both the AK and SKS as platforms.
My questions are geared more to how they're made. What is better stamped or milled and why?
I've also heard that some countries produce better guns over some other countries.
If I'm going to spend stupid money on something I want to make the best choice I can.
My take away so far is that stamped is better for add ons. But milled might be more rigid and maybe last longer?
And that no one can agree with what countries are better over others except that those made or assembled in the U.S. are not built as well.
Am I right so far?
Good summary. Agreed on all points.

If you go SKS, Yugo is your best option IMHO because they are not only good versions but your chance of finding one in pristine condition is much higher. I agree with @Broccoli Iglesias that the SKS platform is generally more accurate than the AK.

For AK's: Russia, East Germany, Poland, Hungary. Those are my preferences. I think milled is higher quality but a proper stamped receiver can be tough as nails.

Back
Top Bottom