• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

All things, MA non-resident LTC

it completely kills off nonresident LTCs unless you’re part of an exempt class of enumerated individuals. View attachment 837817

No reciprocity. Don’t be surprised about what will be allowed to stand up in court, especially here in MA where every single judge is vehemently anti-gun. Only way things get better here is with SCOTUS intervention.
worded like that I'm not too worried, it'll never stand in court. it's a 2a issue, Fed courts not MA.

worded like that I'm not too worried, it'll never stand in court. it's a 2a issue, Fed courts not MA.
The Fed courts are the ones I’m talking about. There should be no reason AWBs & mag bans stand in a post-Heller/Bruen world either. Yet just look at what happened a little bit ago in NAGR v. Campbell. Federal judge denied the motion for preliminary injunction using the most contrived reasoning possible.

The 1st Circuit Court of Appeals is no better either. CA1 is the most anti-gun circuit in the entire country, not a single pro-2A decision has ever come out of that court. Look at their decision in Morin v. Lyver before SCOTUS remanded it in light of Bruen.

I stand by what I said. Only way things get better in MA is with SCOTUS intervention.

This is a big deal, and as a non-resident it’s hard to pressure representatives when you have none. The worst part is the number of clueless MA residents. The legislature and media have been smart on how they cover this and not cover this. It has support due to the hyjinx obscuring the real impact.

My non resident renewal took about 4 months.
I mailed in my renewal on October 2nd, 2023 (the money order was cashed shortly thereafter). My non-res Temp LTC expired on January 9th, 2024. Hopefully, mine will arrive within the next month!

This is a big deal, and as a non-resident it’s hard to pressure representatives when you have none. The worst part is the number of clueless MA residents. The legislature and media have been smart on how they cover this and not cover this. It has support due to the hyjinx obscuring the real impact.
This is a big deal, and I'm sort of surprised there isn't more of a hue and cry here on the forums. All 4,300+ of us with non-res LTCs are about to lose them.

The bill you’re referring to is H.4139. It passed the House with flying colors. It now awaits action in the Senate.
Yeah... scary/sad.

:eek: Not much chance of fitting myself into one of the "special" categories that'll be allowed to get an LTC, either.

If it goes as planned, I will no longer be able to certify MA residents with a BFS class, certify retired LE under LEOSA or get my annual qual done in MA. Getting LEOSA annual qual in NH is close to impossible.

I always said, not withstanding the other laws in NYS, they are the "lucky" ones since they can basically carry across the Northeast at this point. Everyone else has a big blockade called NYS in front of them. I guess now after the new laws, nobody will be "lucky". I guess it saves me from having to do anymore paperwork and running around getting a bank check/certified mailing for my Mass NR LTC.

Wonder if they will refund my money for this round, or if I get a renewal that's good until 1/1/25. :rolleyes:

I always said, not withstanding the other laws in NYS, they are the "lucky" ones since they can basically carry across the Northeast at this point. Everyone else has a big blockade called NYS in front of them. I guess now after the new laws, nobody will be "lucky". I guess it saves me from having to do anymore paperwork and running around getting a bank check/certified mailing for my Mass NR LTC.

Wonder if they will refund my money for this round, or if I get a renewal that's good until 1/1/25. :rolleyes:
"Concealed is concealed." "Revolvers don't leave brass." "Think how much money we can all save on multiple LTC's." And if you have to use it and get caught, just tell MA/NY/NJ that you are a "less than privileged person" who is "just turning your life around."

I think I saw that New York seems to have loosened up on their limited NR permits. Seems like they are now possible to get. The issue is they clamped down on where you can carry. So it pretty much defeated the purpose - as they wanted.

As for NR, sent mine Nov 5 so hopefully comes soon. Expires in a week.

We should all send our renewals in like 11mo early 🤣

I think I saw that New York seems to have loosened up on their limited NR permits. Seems like they are now possible to get. The issue is they clamped down on where you can carry. So it pretty much defeated the purpose - as they wanted.

What are you talking about? NY doesn’t issue NR permits at all except for a very few set of circumstances. In fact, GOA just filed a lawsuit today against NY for this: GOA, GOF File Lawsuit on Behalf of Newsmax’s Carl Higbie and Other Plaintiff’s Seeking NY Concealed Carry Permits | GOA

Yeah, but the rub is, will it matter if this current legislation is signed into law? I assume they will just expire everyone's NR when the law is implemented. I guess sending it in anyways just in case isn't a bad idea.

How long is too long to be considered a renewal?
Any renewal after 1998 is still considered a renewal legally. That is the law and what FRB works with. What PDs require is a totally different kettle of fish.

ETA: Sorry, just realized that you were asking about NR. No shenanigans there.

Any renewal after 1998 is still considered a renewal legally. That is the law and what FRB works with. What PDs require is a totally different kettle of fish.

ETA: Sorry, just realized that you were asking about NR. No shenanigans there.
That's what I thought. Post Covid, I'm going to start the renewal process "soon" and wondered what to expect. I would be due for an in personal renewal anyways, so I'm expecting to visit Chelsea.

Ran into a couple today who's son is big into firearms down in Florida. Wants his Mass Non Resident LTC. They called him last week and said the earliest appointment is in January, 2025. :(

Ok, maybe someone can shed some light? I applied for renewal in late summer timeframe 2023, for a January '24 expiration. In October 2023, I get an e-mail saying my appointment is in August, 2024. (I'm posted this somewhere, can't find it). Today, I received my Non-Res LTC in the mail, expires 1/25/2025. So do i still need to to go to Chelsea in august? [thinking] [laugh]

Ok, maybe someone can shed some light? I applied for renewal in late summer timeframe 2023, for a January '24 expiration. In October 2023, I get an e-mail saying my appointment is in August, 2024. (I'm posted this somewhere, can't find it). Today, I received my Non-Res LTC in the mail, expires 1/25/2025. So do i still need to to go to Chelsea in august? [thinking] [laugh]
Anything you hear here is meaningless. Call or write to them, if you call record the day/time and who you spoke to.

I think you fell into the "vortex". Technically, my interview would have been 2022, but since they were sooooo late on the previous renewal, it didn't come until 2023. So, my actual interview didn't happen until 2023 (after the last renewal had expired :rolleyes: ).

What I want to know is if this new bill is going to stop NR LTC's or not. Even if it's limited to something like a revolver, as long as it's something.

You mentioned that you had a "renewal".

An In person interview appointment is only required every 6 years.

Are you at the 6 year mark?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom