• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Almost a horrible Father's Day

Well, it happened in Maine, so you can be pretty sure it didn't hit a tooth.

toothless+smiley.bmp

But seriously, what is the proper follow through for big bore? I have always kept my arms slightly bent and wrists locked and taken some of the impact by bending my elbows.

I'll throw myself out at the mercy of NES for a critique. I had almost zero follow through. These are factory 460 Magnum loads.
I had my left leg back a bit but I wasn't leaning into the gun enough.

I am not sure what the thing leaping off the bench is from the shock wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
What county did that second shot end up in?? I to have seen many videos such as this one. Knowing what I know from seeing vid's like this I taught my daughter how to shoot my 629 one round at a time. Now she loads 6 heavy's by herself!

Glad all worked out for you and yours!

Sounds like a big vote for porting on the end of the barrel to keep the muzzle from rising!

When I first shot a .500, it was at a rental range. Gentleman behind the counter asked if I'd fired one before, at my negative, he said "load one, and hold on."

Wise words...

I've heard of this sort of thing happening before...but that video is damn scary.

It doesn't help much at all with heavy bullets.
Interesting. Do you think this is because of the bullet motion before it reaches the comp?

Competition shooters load lighter bullets in compensated guns to get more gas pressure/volume to better work the comp, but that's obviously not a problem in this case.

look at his grip, way too low for firing the big boy. I always want to have a higher axis with my grip, it allows the shooter to control the recoil much easier.. I was helping a guy that was doing the same thing with a 41 mag.. his grip was so low the muzzle jumped to almost 90 degrees.. once we corrected the grip he couldn't believe his hand didn't hurt. glad your boy is alright.. a life lesson and caught on tape.. just look at how low his grip on the pistol and you can see his axis is too low.

I noticed he is shooting single action and not letting his hands settle into a good grip after he cocks the hammer. Shooting double action might help. Glad to see he only suffered some minor ear ringing.

He was holding on pretty good. He's an awesome shot with my 44 mags, even the "full house" ones.
But, he's now frightened of the "BIG GUN"...

You have to have a deep respect for these guns. The near-full-power loads will be 1 at a time for now on, no matter who's shooting them.
I tried a test myself yesterday. Full cylinder of the 700 grains. No double shots, but I did see that the third cylinder locked up because the nose of the third 700 grain bullet had pulled out of the deeply crimped case, and jammed the cylinder. That's the other reason for not trying more than one at a time.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and wishes. I love shooting with my son, and expect that we will share that enjoyment for many years to come.

Interesting. Do you think this is because of the bullet motion before it reaches the comp?
It's physics. The momentum (mass times velocity) of the gas through the comp is what offsets the recoil. The mass of the powder charge doesn't change even when it burns. If you have a 10 grain charge, it changes from 10 grains of solid to 10 grains of gas when it burns. The greater the charge-to-bullet weight ratio, the more effective the comp. For example, if you have a comp on a 7mm Mag with a bullet weight of 100gr and a charge of 75gr, the comp will be very effective. If you're shooting a .500 with a bullet weight of 700gr and a charge weight of 25gr, then it's not so effective.

I love shooting with my son, and expect that we will share that enjoyment for many years to come.

I crossed myself when I saw that video, and I'm not even a little bit Hispanic. I'm glad nobody was hurt, and maybe your video might keep something worse from happening to someone else.

Last edited:
Duke,

Wow, the video scared the crap out of me. I've never shot a 500, but if I do I will take your advice of one round at a time.

I'm glad your son didn't get hurt and I'm sure over time he will get over the fear of the situation.

You were very lucky, and this video my save someone else's life.

The whole thing may be a blessing in disguise if others learn from it.

Jay P.

The more I watch that vid, the more I believe that he burned up 8 of his 9 lives. I hate to even say it, but now you can see how that kid with the micro-uzi was able to shoot himself in the head so quickly.

That was scary, the biggest handgun caliber I've shot is .45. I wanted to shoot a big bore but not so much anymore. Glad that everyone is ok.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Still get a goose bump when I watch the video again. [shocked] It's a very close call. Glad no harm done.

I do learn a few tips on this thread. S&W 500 is a real beast. Looking forward to get one soon.

Only put one round in the chamber at a time.
Nit picking the message at the end of the video.

I would change it to "...in a chamber..." or "...in the cylinder....

Because, obviously, no one can put two rounds in the chamber at once.

--jcr (glad no one was hurt)

Frightening video, I'm glad it ended ok. I was looking around and this is actually pretty common for heavy recoiling revolvers. The second shot seems to fire when the revolver is near vertical (say 12:30 if the target is @ 3:00) and to a slight cant opposite the direction if the holding hand (to the left for righty's). I've seen a few people smack themselves in the head with the barrel, but not any discharges towards the shooter. Have there been any documented cases of this?

Back
Top Bottom