• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

American Firearms.... WTF!

Listen to this one...

I called American Firearms in North Attleboro, asking if they could handle a personal transfer for me on Sunday.
The dude tells me sure, he would have to charge me 10% of the cost of the firearm. He then says a personal transfer is treated as a consignment....

I then proceeded to tell him, the last time I used them I was charged $20 bucks. I also asked if something changed with there policies....

After a couple seconds of silence I was given this smug comment.... "Well if I did it for you before, I guess I will have to do it again".

What a sneaky douchebag.... I knew there was a reason why I no longer go in that place....

Last edited:
Sometimes it's just easier to take your business else where and save the trouble and aggravation.

Bad economy. New revenue source is to screw (loyal) customer. Very common.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

I will never use them ever again after the last incident there. I transferred a S&W revolver (R8 tactical) to a friend of mine without a problem. He went to transfer the same gun to another buyer about a year later and they wouldn't transfer it because it "wasn't on the list"? So after that incident I will not use them ever again! I know nobody likes Northeast Trading, but they are close by, only charge $25 and are open till 8.

Listen to this one...

I called American Firearms in North Attleboro, asking if they could handle a personal transfer for me on Sunday.
The dude tells me sure, he would have to charge me 10% of the cost of the firearm. He then says a personal transfer is treated as a consignment....

I then proceeded to tell him, the last time I used them I was charged $20 bucks. I also asked if something change with there policies....

After a couple seconds of silence I was given this smug comment.... "Well if I did it for you before, I guess I will have to do it again".

What a sneaky douchebag.... I knew there was a reason why I no longer go in that place....

My reply would have been great he is only charging me $20 for the gun

You stayed on the phone with them that long? After the 10% thing came up I would have said "Ok, that's all I needed to know. Thank you. Bye." Whining back at them serves nothing, unless you have an "in" with the owner or something at that particular dealer.

The 10% thing is their smart ass way of telling you they don't like, or don't want to do inbound transfers.

-Mike

My answer would have been, "I am transferring to a good friend of mine in consideration for his life long admiration and trust. Since that is not a monetary value, I guess you will be doing that for free. I appreciate you helping out my friend and I." Or even better, here is the bill of sale for $1. I owe you 10 cents."

I will never do business with this guy, and will tell everyone I can to go elsewhere.

This is the power of social media and the NES forums.

Nice move American Firearms [laugh]

10% of the cost? Tell him your buying it for a buck.

10% of the value? Only if the value is what they would give you if you traded it.

If it were either of these, you would be a winner!

I have been in there a few times, never have or will spend a dime there... Too bad, they are very close to me.

I remember when the place first opened. It has gone thru some changes and it appears for the worse.
Buy some land in New Hampshire, start going on weekends, then long weekends, pretty soon you will find yourself making excuses to move full time.
Live Free or Die

Then you wont have to deal with crap like that.

I do like Boghog 1 suggestion.....[smile]

I will never do business with this guy, and will tell everyone I can to go elsewhere.

The management at AFS goes out of their way to let us run indoor USPSA matches during the winter. I'll continue to give AFS my business in spite of this one guy's hurt feelings.

Not to stick up for that FFL...but If you have a dealer that you buy from repeatedly, he would probably do if for free.
But when you go to an FFL that you don't buy from???
There are costs associated with opening a shop & maintaining the FFL.
I am a licensed electrician in 2 states. It costs we $200-300 a year to keep both..so I don't do electric work for free either!!!
Just saying...
Or possible I am missing something here???

Glad to hear they go out of their way for you... My experiences with them has been a little better than crap.

The management at AFS goes out of their way to let us run indoor USPSA matches during the winter. I'll continue to give AFS my business in spite of this one guy's hurt feelings.

Not to stick up for that FFL...but If you have a dealer that you buy from repeatedly, he would probably do if for free.
But when you go to an FFL that you don't buy from???
There are costs associated with opening a shop & maintaining the FFL.

Shop owners can run their shops however they see fit, but if I were an FFL I wouldn't collect a transfer fee in the most ass way possible, which is what collecting a percentage of the value of the gun is. It's just sheer jackassery.

-Mike

I remember reading something in a marketing class along the lines of:

Studies show that a satisfied customer will tell 2-3 people about his experience with your company. A dissatisfied consumer will share their lament with 8-10 people and some will push that number to twenty.
Or in this case, much more
[wink]

One guys hurt feelings. Its just bad business. Its actually a rip off. Its like a local dealer. It also sounds like the guy on the phone from AFS was really good at getting folks to want to come to their place of business.

Another good one and I wont mention who, used to charge me sales tax on the value of the gun I had sent to him. If I paid $500 for a rifle I paid $25 transfer fee and he then hit me 6.25 tax on $500.
He a local SE Ma dealer. No not Northeast trading.

i had a fella say to me once (not afs, but a similar case of jackassery) that they didn't give prices for guns over the phone...i promptly drove to the store, they realized who i was, i expressed my feelings on the matter in a relatively rude manner and they have lost my business. I dont care if a guy buys one gun, or spends thousands a year at a shop. TREAT US RIGHT or loose the sale, you are only pissing in your own cheerios.

Shop owners can run their shops however they see fit, but if I were an FFL I wouldn't collect a transfer fee in the most ass way possible, which is what collecting a percentage of the value of the gun is. It's just sheer jackassery.

-Mike
Now with that I will agree!!! "jackassery" is a good name for a 10% hit.

I dont even consider afs a gun shop. If im there its to use the range. Everything in their store is so over priced its like a museum. And every time i ask a question i feel like im bothering them because im either not a member or covered in $100 bills

I spend more money on gas than I do the transfer just to give business to Lou at BEC cuz he is good people. Give your hard earned to the people that deserve it, not the convenient.

Back
Top Bottom