America's First Freedom

Garys

NES Member
I received a subscription increase notice for the NRA publication "America's First Freedom". While I intend to pay the increase, it occurred to me that here in the 21st century they could do an online publication for those that don't want to pay the additional money. So, I sent them an email.

I received a subscription increase notice for America's First Freedom today. While I intend to pay, I can't help but wonder if you folks have considered offering an online version of the magazine at no additional cost.

This would allow members to read on line from anywhere that they have internet access, cut your production and mailing costs, and circulation becomes irrelevant. Once it's up on the web, 1 or 100,000 members can access it. I'll even go so far as to suggest that members have their choice of American Hunter or American Rifleman AND access to America's First Freedom. The message and content of the publication are that important to our fight to retain our rights that every NRA member should have access to it.

Thank you.

Probably nothing will come of it, but who knows?

Gary

I told the dumbasses at the NRA that they need to start putting some of that content online. The way to do it is to put it up a month or so after it has been released in print.

They have tons of content that could be put online but they are afraid to do it because they think they will lose members or whatever if they print magazine content gets put online.

I think they are trapped in the 70s and 80s. They don't seem to understand that the stuff in the magazines should be available online after it has had its print run.

I wrote for a now defunct online EMS publication. The woman who did the online publishing was very talented. She had the ezine (I hate that name) set up so that you needed a password to get in AND while you could view on line you could not copy, download, or even print content. As staff I had permissions to do that, but regular subscribers didn't. The odd thing is that the publication was free, all you had to do was register.

Even though we eventually failed due to staff issues, we were made enough put enough of a scare into the two big EMS trade magazines that they increased their on line presence quite a bit.

If the NRA did something like that, even with delayed publication of content, they would certainly shake up the MSM and the other firearms publications.

The technology is there and the NRA actually has a pretty good idea how to use it. Go to NRAnews.com and take a look. No reason that they couldn't do something similar with America's First Freedom while at the same time offering people who want a dead tree copy the option of paying more.

Gary

good thing I switched to the Rifleman mag a while back!

Right after my previous post I received an email. Seems the payment is "voluntary" although there is not a word about that in the letter. I replied with quotes from the letter and suggested that they might just alienate a few members into not renewing.

Not me, but I can see some people getting totally torqued about it.

I don't know if I'll hear back from them.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom