Anti-Gun Citi and First Data

I can't find any update on this...has Citi re-evaluated their new policy?

I just send this from my Citi account to their support center.

I'll be applying for a new card in the AM and transferring balances

Underwhere is upset said:
I was notified that Citi is no longer processing credit card transactions for the firearms industry.

I would like to express my disdain for this practice...refusing services to an entire industry.

The letter that I have seen shows that Citi has grossly mis-interpreted gun control laws and has decided to take action on their presumptions.

I will be applying for another credit card with a different issuer and closing my account as soon as possible.

In addition to this I will be urging all friends, family and fellow firearm enthusiasts to do the same.

Update

Underwhere this is an update for you and all others. Both Citi and First Data have been completely silent on the topic and have not denied their anti-gun stances. They have not even given myself here at NSSF the benefit of the doubt of a response except for the canned one being sent to everyone.

From our standpoint we have educated as many as we can and hoped that this information would be used to make decisions. This is especially important for Merchants who have accounts with either one of these entities. They need to be aware and protect themselves from disruptions in business.

I am guessing the $20 billion of write downs from bad debt and mortgages is more of a concern for them right now. Unfortunately though in order for them to survive they are being infused with more bail out money and finances from traditionally anti-gun international corporations. I am guessing this is not going to be reversed or even addressed.

Let them all rot in hades. I had a credit card with them. Five or six years ago they claim I was late on a payment and jacked my rate from 15 to 29%

Bandits, pure and simple. Loan sharks don't get that kind of juice.

I fart in their general direction

I have a Citi card. It sits there with a zero balance and won't earn them a cent in fees or interest but will continue to provide me with a good debt-to-credit ratio for my credit score. [smile]

From what I have seen they haven't changed their policy. I have actually seen responses that have really supported an anti-gun attitude.

Either way, I am done... and since I can no longer process credit cards for any of my online gun sales, I have decided to stop using them to process my non-gun sales as well.

Here's a tip for everyone out there... GunsAmerica has come out with a merchant account system that will let you buy and sell guns online. They haven't announced it officially yet, (I think they're waiting for SHOT Show), but it's out there for anyone who needs it.

I have a Citi card. It sits there with a zero balance and won't earn them a cent in fees or interest but will continue to provide me with a good debt-to-credit ratio for my credit score. [smile]

Not to be an ass, but from my perspective that still supports them.

I never pay any interest on my card either but on principle I refuse to have a relationship with them.

They do profit if you use the card ......... regardless of whether or not you carry a balance. As we all know, merchants pay fee's for accepting card transactions.

They do profit if you use the card ......... regardless of whether or not you carry a balance. As we all know, merchants pay fee's for accepting card transactions.

Thats actually where they are cutting down gun purchasers anyways, on the merchant transactions, not the credit card purchases.

Citi's reply
Customer Service Wrote:

We apologize for any inconvenience this experience may have caused you.

We would like to inform you that the assertion, that Citi Merchant Services and First Data are refusing to process any transactions involving firearms and that they have rejected the firearms industry is not true.

Citi policies are detailed below:

Citi Merchant Services and First Data do process firearms transactions.
Our policy restrictions address only the sale of firearms in a non face-to-face environment.
Non face-to-face transactions occur when a cardholder is not present in front of a merchant and includes mail order and online purchases.
It is our policy not to service merchants that make non face-to-face sales in a number of industries, including firearms.
It is not the policy of Citi Merchant Services or First Data to refuse to process transactions from duly licensed merchants that sell firearms in face-to-face transactions at the point of sale.

Please contact us at 1-800-950-5114 for further assistance. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Outside the U.S., call collect at 605-335-2222.

Thank you for using our website.

That's why it sits there. Note that I'm not using it, otherwise it would get them fees. But it costs them (however minutely) to maintain my account.

Nice idea. I was thinking about sticking mine under the floor carpeting in the safe and forgeting about it until a real emergency came up, but then figured it would help the rating more by charging (and paying) one or two bucks every month or so. I pay bills online and would get a kick out of submitting a $2 payment.
That's if I can find someone who'll accept a $2 charge.
Or something that only costs $2. [thinking]

That's why it sits there. Note that I'm not using it, otherwise it would get them fees. But it costs them (however minutely) to maintain my account.

I believe that still benefits them...as they believe they have the lending potential of your credit limit. They spend next to nothing to "maintain" your account. One of the factors that institutions measure their success is the number of accounts open, active or inactive.

If you don't want them to benefit in any way at all, you should probably close the card.

Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do.
All I know is that I am closing mine. My new cards come in 10-14 days.

Intersting. After my reply back to Citi yesterday, my credit card messaging center now says this:

We've had a problem processing your request.

A general system error has occurred. Please try your request again and let us know if this problem continues.

Back
Top Bottom